Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you actually think before you buy a firearm? A 7mm-08 is a nice rifle but when SHTF will ammo be around. .41cal pistol is pretty nice (many here hae one) but I have never once seen ammo for it, so im guessing when SHTF when your out your out.

Granted I have some a pistol that is all but useless. The desert Eagle 50cal. This is a awesome side arms weight 7lbs and kicks like a mule, has a 7round clip and 20 rounds cost $30. This is why I am selling the pistol after 8 years of owning it and shooting maybe 4-5 boxes of ammo through it.

Now being older and past the wow factor on most things i think about ammo when looking for a new firearm. If someone is tryin to take me out or if i have to rummage for ammo, in my area, its more likely i will find 22lr, 30-30, 9mm, 40cal and 30-06 than anything else. My 7mm would prolly be useless after a few months and my 357 as well.

So does anyone else think about this kind of thing or do you just think about "what i can stock pile"?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I was wondering how many of you actually think before you buy a firearm? A 7mm-08 is a nice rifle but when SHTF will ammo be around. .41cal pistol is pretty nice (many here hae one) but I have never once seen ammo for it, so im guessing when SHTF when your out your out.

...snip...

So does anyone else think about this kind of thing or do you just think about "what i can stock pile"?
I like to think that I think about it.

Yes, I /we considered the most likely needs, and looked for tools to meet as many of them as possible, within our scope of understanding. It took some thinking, reading, questioning, reading and thinking again... and again. We balance supposed needs, budget and try to "stay real". I don't believe that there is a one of us on this board that can not dream far too large. Staying real is possible only with study, an honest assessment of capabilities, and discipline. Any other path is hit-n-miss, and likely to lead to disappointment, or worse.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I stockpile military calibers only.
9mm
7.62x39
7.62x54 (high power and cheap)
.38 and .357.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I havent bought a firearm yet, but prepping to buy my first one, I'm thinking about it alot. Seeing whats good, whats not. What works better for my situation etc. But thats just me.

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smallgame, I would think the 9mm pistol then a 12ga would be ideal for you. Every gangster i know carries a 9mm glock and cops carry 12ga. This is the type of thinking though I have been doing. If push came to shove, I had no ammo left, where could i get more? Taking someone elses firearm will work but you dont know if its sighted in or not, is it a crap weapon thats gonna fail to cycle or some other issue? I would like to keep all my own firearms and suplies i know works than rely on someone else to take care of there.

military stock pile would be a good idea also cause if SHTF more than likely the military will be involved and when god forbid someone goes down they will have ammo on there person.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
I am Big on Multitasking.. I look it over and think what can I use it for, how hard is it the clean, and is it easy to fix and get parts for.. Oh and the price is a big deal too.. If it seems to much for what it is, that's a SHow stopper..
I don't spend lots of money for something that looks good or inflates the <{MAN EGO}>
Like the .577 T.-rex Rifle. (AKA Elephant gun )
(Which the whole Video it's funny.)
WHO THE HELL WOULD NEED ONE here in US.. I don't but I would take one if it was given to me.
( hand held out to the giver)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thinking

I have been thinking alot about what to buy. I have been collecting rifles and shotguns and pistols for over 20 years now. I have many weapons in many calibers. I have gone through the Clinton years, and that showed me alot about what calibers to pay attention to.

I have been stocking up on all ammo that I will be attacked on first. Any ammo that is fired by what the left call "ASSAULT WEAPONS", actually they are just semi auto's, has been my ammo of choice for about a year now. I am stocking up on .223,7.62x39,7.62x54, .22 long, shotgun shells and .45 acp, .380, and .25 auto, and will continue until the OBAMA SYNDROM KICKS IN. I have many rounds for all other calibers. I have been stocking up for about 10 years now, and am not one to go out and shoot hundreds of rounds just to be shooting. I shoot only when hunting, and verifying zero on my weapons. Ammo is not cheap, and it will only go up, isn't that righ, MR. OBAMA???

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
No, not really. Bought two KelTec's yesterday because I got a .32 and a .380 NIB for $425 for both out the door that was far less than I could buy a POS LCP. What do I do with two mouse guns that I don't need, give them as christmas gifts.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I have been thinking alot about what to buy. I have been collecting rifles and shotguns and pistols for over 20 years now. I have many weapons in many calibers. I have gone through the Clinton years, and that showed me alot about what calibers to pay attention to.

I have been stocking up on all ammo that I will be attacked on first. Any ammo that is fired by what the left call "ASSAULT WEAPONS", actually they are just semi auto's, has been my ammo of choice for about a year now. I am stocking up on .223,7.62x39,7.62x54, .22 long, shotgun shells and .45 acp, .380, and .25 auto, and will continue until the OBAMA SYNDROM KICKS IN. I have many rounds for all other calibers. I have been stocking up for about 10 years now, and am not one to go out and shoot hundreds of rounds just to be shooting. I shoot only when hunting, and verifying zero on my weapons. Ammo is not cheap, and it will only go up, isn't that righ, MR. OBAMA???
Why do you waste time with the .25 auto?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I would it would be pretty simple to neck down .308 brass to 7mm-08.
7 mm is what? .277 caliber?
Fred you are right....It is simple, the .308 and 30-06 are the basis of several calibers that are easily converted from their brass. The 7m-08 is one. It is just a necked down .308, as is the .243 another popular caliber. I wouldn't hesitate to neck down some .308 to 7mm-08, turn the necks, if necessary and keep on truckin.

SHoNUFF,
As to stock piling ammunition I focus mostly on the nonreloadable stuff. 22 rimfire and X39. I too stick pretty much to the basics with the centerfire calibers, but stock pile components rather than loaded ammunituon.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
7mm is actually .284.

In my case I usually think it over first. I do consider how easy it is to obtain ammo for a gun. except for my .303 and my brother's M-1 Carbine, all of mine fire common rounds.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Sure I think before I buy.

I make sure it's a Good gun, that I'm buying at a price that I can make money on (ALthough I may never sell... I do some, and have never lost money on a firearm)
-Excepting one I sold to a friend as a favor.

That said, I have somewhere around 27 different cartrages I shoot, and only have over 20,000 rounds of:

9mm
5.45x39
7.62x39

As for 'scrounging ammo'... doubt it. IF you ain't got it, you ain;t got it.

(IF you DO find some... it is likely it wil lbe a package deal with a firearm.)

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Now that I am older, I too, think before I buy. When I was younger, AMT had just introduced the Automag III, chambered for .30 carbine. I have always enjoyed shooting the M-1 and own one. I almost bought one, UNTIL I realized it would take BOTh hands to get around the grips AND the slide came back almost to the ELBOW! Glad now I passed!

I have had rifles in odd calibers, like 8x56R (M95/34 carbine) aka the elephant rifle. 16ga shotguns, 32 pistols, etc.

I have since limited myself to only a few calibers in pistol/rifle/shotgun and they are in common calibers; i.e. 12ga 20 & 410, 45, 9mm, 38, 308, x39.

This makes it easier to stock up and if I ever had to scrounge, easier to find in my area.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Why do you waste time with the .25 auto?
I have never heard of anyone saying "He only shot me with a 25!"

On the flip side I have also heard some say "If I get get with a 25 and find out about I'll be Pi$$ed!"

Also on the flip side of the ammo debate...Having a gun chambered for an odd ball could be beneficial as the 7mm may be all that is left because masses will be looking for the 7.62x39,.223,.308,30-06,9mm,45acp, 22lr ect.

458 magnum 7.7 jap may be the only thing left when you go to buy.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I do think about ammo when I make a purchase. I currently stock: .22, 9mm, .45, .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R and 12g.

My next purchase has to be a decent hunting rifle in .308 or 30-06.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts