Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a question I would like to present to the group.

Some of us may be stockpiling magazines for various pistols and rifles. Do you test fire every single magazine you have?

What brought this up was I stated I was buying pmags and leaving them in the package. A member of the forum questioned the logic of having magazines that were not tested.

My response was if you are buying parts from a quality manufacturer, do you need to test every piece?

In comparison, do you test every spare spring, do you test every fire control group, do you test every spare firing pin, every extractor, extractor spring,,,, do you test everything?

I can see an argument for test firing magazines. Take them out of the bag, run a couple of drills when them, clean them, then put the magazines back into storage.

However, once you open a pmag the resale value drops. If you hope to sale those mags during another wave of panic buying, opening the pmag will result in getting less money then an unopened up.

Then there is the quality issue. How many pmags are bad right out of the bag?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Yep, and before firing Number each on the bottom with a permanent marker, that way if I get a misfeed, I can remember what mag "might" have done it.

I usually dont fill each to capacity for testing, only about 10 rounds.

Reactions: Ryan316

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
If they are original factory magazines, or they are quality aftermarket magazines from a reputable supplier, then no, I don't test every one. I will put a couple in the rotation to make sure I didn't get a bad batch. But that is pretty much it until I can start reloading again. If it looks like things are getting hot and I might need more loaded magazines than I have loaded, I will load up some new ones, test them for fit and run the rounds through the action to check feeding. If there is a problem feeding by hand I set that magazine aside until a can do a live fire test.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had 3 cheap 30 round AR mags cause problems, and most malfunctions in mag fed guns are from the magazines.

Bought a used aluminum HK 91 mag with fatiged feed lips and didn't load right. I only use steel mags now, the gun is so heavy anyway it makes no difference.

Years ago I bought a set of Wilson Combat mags for my 1911. I thought they were defective because they forced the slide to stay open when empty.

I field test everything. I don't buy any weapons for investment.

·
OathKeeper
535 Posts
Ño, personally. I find your magazine obsession very amusing fwiw. On second thought, they've almost all been used, they were numbered at one point, then more were added then they all got camo'd. Reminds me to diamond dremel numbers on the baseplate.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
I test-fire all the mags I buy for personal use.

Each mag that successfully passes muster gets a permanent marker
check mark on the base plate, indicating it's good to go. (To help me
distinguish it from any untested mags.)

I have recently stocked up on a supply of mags that I'm simply putting
on the shelf as a possible resale item during the next gun-buying frenzy.
(Based on an early thread on the topic that Kev started.)
The Pmags I'm keeping in the original un-opened packaging for better
credibility on the resale market. Stockpiled AK mags just came loose
in a box, so no original packaging to keep there.

Interesting point about testing mags and not testing other replacement parts.
I guess my vague argument on that would be that magazines are a
more complicated "system" for the lack of a better term. Mag body
needs to be solid, spring and follower need to move smoothly, feed lips
need to shaped right, mag needs to latch into the gun within tolerances,
and the whole thing needs to work within the particular quirks of whatever
gun I own to run properly.

So there's more to go wrong with a mag than with a replacement recoil
spring or take-down pin. So yeah, mags generally get tested, simple
replacement parts -- not so much.

·
Vitesse et Puissance
16,211 Posts
Yes, yes and yes.

Anyone that has deployed will tell you that they carry what they have trained with.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I test fire each magazine in each of weapon (in case I have more than one weapon that can use the same magazine). But I normally test with just 10rnds and not top it off (say 28rnds in a 30rnd magazine).

If a magazine doesn't feed properly with one gun but feeds ok in the other gun, I start looking at several other things like the magazine release button, feed-ramps, etc. You can tweak somethings a little or it might mean a part needs to be replaced.

Shoot-em-up.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
If I were buying magazines as an investment that I planned to resell, then I wouldn't. Since I generally don't resell stuff like that, every magazine I buy will be tested before I rely on it for anything other than a range magazine. Most of my magazines are decades old, so they have already been worked hard and are proven reliable. The few I haven't used yet (AR mags of various sorts) were obtained in anticipation of buying an AR to use them (the stupid new magazine laws in my state forced me to buy 30 and 20 rounders while I still could, even though I lack an AR at the current time). I don't expect to be selling them off, particularly since it is illegal to do so to anyone in my state now. Ironically, their idiotic laws have actually given me incentive to buy an "evil black rifle" soon when I otherwise might have put it off for years.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ño, personally. I find your magazine obsession very amusing fwiw.
You should see all the plans I draw up for anything I build.

The new chicken house has probably been redesigned 4 or 5 times, the garden has been redesigned, shed has is just about finished,,,,.

My wife and I are building a deck on the back of the house; it has been redesigned I do not know how many times.

·
Average Guy
80 Posts
I think you answered you own question.

If you plan on reselling/trading some mags keep them in their packaging.

But

If you are going to use the mag for possible self defense then it should be tested.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Yes, and a related topic I cycle each round to make sure it chambers my EDC pistol.
Interesting idea. Any concerns that the feeding and extraction process
will mar or deform the shell casing or bullet nose, such that the bullet
you reload into your magazine isn't quite the same as the same bullet
you just tested? (Or is my OCD running amok? :eek::)

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
AK here, running 20 rnd Tapcos... Ive yet to have one not function perfectly, HOWEVER.... Yes, I do test run each one out of a new batch to insure its good to go.

EB

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
There is a question I would like to present to the group.

Some of us may be stockpiling magazines for various pistols and rifles. Do you test fire every single magazine you have?

What brought this up was I stated I was buying pmags and leaving them in the package. A member of the forum questioned the logic of having magazines that were not tested.

My response was if you are buying parts from a quality manufacturer, do you need to test every piece?

In comparison, do you test every spare spring, do you test every fire control group, do you test every spare firing pin, every extractor, extractor spring,,,, do you test everything?

I can see an argument for test firing magazines. Take them out of the bag, run a couple of drills when them, clean them, then put the magazines back into storage.

However, once you open a pmag the resale value drops. If you hope to sale those mags during another wave of panic buying, opening the pmag will result in getting less money then an unopened up.

Then there is the quality issue. How many pmags are bad right out of the bag?
I have too many magazines to test them all, but with that being said, my magazines that would be used for the purposes of security are tested..... especially if the magazines are not NIW.

As you have decided on what magazines you deem to be good quality, I do the same. In my case, they are for the M14/M1A. My magazine fed sidearms even more so.

Example: I used to have the "7 up, 7 back, and 7 deep" minimum magazine numbers per rifle, for a total of 21 overall. ( Increased it since)

The 7 mags "up" are magazines that have been removed from the wrap, examined, then fully loaded, and used for at least 10 full times, or until failure of some kind....whichever were to occur first. At this point, they "earn" a number.
Also tested in more than one rifle.

An example = several stainless steel CMI magazines. In theory, they are supposed to be the best magazine $$ can buy for the M14 types, but I put them too the test regardless. Since the Teflon coated follower is something new to me, they have seen more "testing" than a typical USGI M14 or the current manufactured CMI (GI) magazines see.

The 7 "back" have already passed my test, and have been "pushed back", as they have already earned a number.

The 7 "deep" is a mix of mags that earned a number, and are pushed into my various methods of long term storage....so to speak. (Hint: I don't keep my eggs all in the same basket.)

Any NIW mags that are still in this state can simply stay that way as of now, and some will eventually be rotated into actual use as we need them.

As far as resale goes, I'm not as concerned with this, but your spot on if you decide to sell them off at a later date.

Probably overkill, but this is one of my "jobs" within our group.

11B

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 7 mags "up" are magazines that have been removed from the wrap, examined, then fully loaded, and used for at least 10 full times, or until failure of some kind....whichever were to occur first. At this point, they "earn" a number.
Also tested in more than one rifle.

An example = several stainless steel CMI magazines. In theory, they are supposed to be the best magazine $$ can buy for the M14 types, but I put them too the test regardless. Since the Teflon coated follower is something new to me, they have seen more "testing" than a typical USGI M14 or the current manufactured CMI (GI) magazines see.

The 7 "back" have already passed my test, and have been "pushed back", as they have already earned a number.

The 7 "deep" is a mix of mags that earned a number, and are pushed into my various methods of long term storage....so to speak. (Hint: I don't keep my eggs all in the same basket.)
That is a very good suggestion, I like that.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please Lord don't tell me kev of all folks is buying mags to resell during the next panic!
Negative, I do not sale anything I have.

But I know that people do buy magazines with the sole purpose of selling them during the next scare.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts