Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1018 Posts

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Depends on how many you are talking about.

I live about 30 miles from a city of 70 thousand. Thats walking distance. There are maybe five hundred people in my valley.

If just a 'gang' showed up they wouldn't have a chance in hell...but a mob of a couple thousand could show up every day looking for food and probably roll right through.

This is why Plan A is to take out the bridge to my property, drop trees in the road in several places and lay low hoping they pass through and die out before I come out and see whats left.

Now, if my town organized they could probably close off the valley at the pass and keep the city at bay but I don't have much faith in that happening.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Not here in the high country. Too many ranchers, former and current .mil types and other like minded individuals. The California and Oregon transplants may suffer but those of us who grew up in the rural areas will do alright.

There are only four main highways into the area. All can be defended against marauding city gangs by a handful of people with rifles as the terrain is relatively open high desert country. It would have to be a pretty significant group of street gang types to take and hold a rural area for any length of time and most of them don't have the discipline to do so.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
Street gang is a subjective term. Look at Baltimore or the other popular "riots" of the recent past. Much of urban areas will come together, by race, to form gangs. How big will the gangs be? What is the % of minorities in your particular situation... the nearest urban blue city? There will be hordes of people coming out of the city the second their snap cards don't work or the power goes out or store shelves are cleared. Count on it. I think it will look like the mass wave attacks of people in the Korean war --- we shot them and piled up their bodies until we ran out of ammo! The real question is how much ammo do you have and how big are the walls/motes around your house!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Well, to get there they would have to pass thru every crossroads backroads, family farms with extended families, tiny villages, towns.......that before you even get to town.

Everyone is related, ....You would get a lot of "You ain't from around here are ya.

As the old saying goes...."You in a heap of trouble now, boy......, and maybe want to pull your pants up...makes it easier to run"

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
What do people supposed the hundreds of thousands of people who aren't in a gang are going to do when they run out of food? I think most of them are going to think. "hey....I hear that food is grown out in the country, I'm going to start walking out there and get me some"

Depending on where you live this could be tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people. Think more locus swarm than small gangs.

Heck, rather than shooting the gangs It could make more sense to recruit anyone who know how to shoot a gun to help hold off the swarm coming behind them.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Fillzee makes a good point in that many of us are thinking of the stereotypical street gangs. The downside is they are generally somewhat organized. Some well (think Hell's Angels, MS-13), others not so well but still somewhat organized. What they lack in size initially they will make up for in perseverance. They may even win a battle or two but will eventually be defeated due to the lack of numbers and the determination of the locals to hold their turf (think of the Vietnamese).

If the apocalypse comes, people will indeed band together by race. I personally wouldn't classify them as a street gang. More appropriately they would be little more than a mob. In some instances they would be a small mob, others are large mob. The large mob may indeed overrun an area. A small mob will lose every time in the face of organized resistance.

As my handle states, I live in the high country of AZ. Look at a map. There aren't many roads leading out of Phoenix to the high country. I-17 can be very easily blocked. Hwy 93 can be very easily blocked. Same with Hwy 69 and 89. In the event of societal collapse there will be instant gridlock in the Phoenix metropolitan area. The traditional street gangs there will not have to venture very far.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The average thug in the city is going to stay in the city close to what he knows. The masses that some posters fear will swarm into the countryside will also stay in the city.

While there would be overflow of thugs and "swarms" into the immediate suburbs, I don't see either group going far into the countryside. It's alot easier for the thugs to prey on the "swarms" in the city than go out into an unfamiliar rural area and get themselves lost and shot by the armed populace.

The idea of "swarms" of people walking into the countryside and overwhelming the rural population makes for good TV and catapulted "Walking Dead" to the top of the charts. However, in real life people don't act that way. Unless some charismatic figure stepped up and created an army out of them I don't see "swarms" of urban dwellers pouring out into the countryside.

Come night time in the late fall and they would all freeze to death without the locals firing a shot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've considered the following:
A lot of the people in the city will have children to take care of. If they start walking out into the countryside in search of resources, they aren't going to just abandon their children and they're not going to want to get into a fight and put their children at risk.

Some of these people are going to be doctors, nurses, and medical professionals, engineers, chemists, biologist, electricians, etc. While its not like they're going to have signs hung around their necks, one might want to take this into consideration.

The poor welfare class are usually in their current position because they're idiots. They're uneducated, unskilled, and not accustomed to being responsible for themselves. I think they'll do far more damage to themselves and not be much of a threat.

I believe that even in a worst case scenario (Super EMP), FEMA or some other government agency, will be delivering some form of limited supplies to the city folks and that might be just enough to keep them there and fighting among their own population.

I believe that most "raids" will be nothing more than night time thieves trying to get access to gardens or livestock, and I believe these will be groups of three to five as any more than that will draw attention.

I believe the weather, and more importantly, the time of year, will play a large part in how everything goes down. An event during the spring would be the absolute worst timing, while an event at the beginning of winter would keep most indoors huddled together.

I've also considered my defensive policy and came to the conclusion that the only policy which works is "No Warning Shots" and signs posted to that effect. I considered a warning shot and confrontation but that would just result in allowing them another try and more practice, possibly on me again, possibly on a neighbor.

I also believe I have not considered all possible things, and to that end, I continue to read forums, watch videos, and listen to the ideas of others in the hopes that something new will pop up.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
From what I've seen of urban types, they aren't going to hit the road until everything locally they can steal is gone. They will be killing and robbing the local people they perceive as having things... then move on to other gangs to get their weapons and goods.

So the numbers getting 50-100 miles away from a city on foot Wil be small.

1 - 20 of 1018 Posts