Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting in a clothes line today to save on my energy costs...

Got to thinking:
Do any of you keep bags of that quickcrete/post cement on hand?

Just add water and you have cement that sets in minutes. I can think of a few things it might come in handy for if TSHTF for a long time.

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Yes I do, I have maybe 15 bags. It may come in handy in a variety of applications but if TS does HTF I plan on using it to fill in a few basement window wells...not all the way just enough to prevent someone from making the huge mistake of entering my home.

I felt that was a weak area in my defense.

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
>Yeah I have been thinking of a good way to store it to stop that from happening.

Let's us know how that works out. I have tried to save a few bags and a year later there were solid even though I stored them in what I though was a dry location. I guess if you double bagged them with trash bags.

Like the other poster said "you can't store everything". Maybe a book on pre-concrete building methods would be a better prep.

McLOVIN

·
Father figure
405 Posts
I don't think there is a really good way to 'store' cement.
I seem to recall that it's chemical nature is such that it simply cannot survive long term and perform as designed. Even 'old' cement that has not absorbed moisture looses it's strength quickly, like up to 30 - 50% a year.

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
First thing I put in my BOB! Then I decided edible panties for the missus were more important!

But, seriously, concrete would be more for TEOTWAWKI. I'm not gonna be building, while the SHTF bullets are flying...

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,803 Posts
The time to build is Now or even yesterday.

Far too many other things to do, most probably, such as stay alive after the SHTF

I have tried storing bags of concrete mix and most of those hardened over the winter. Only a couple bags made it more than a year when I wrapped them in 2 trash bags.

I used the hardened bags to make a bulletproof/resistant wall around my gas can storage area next to the bunker. These hardened bags are similar to sand bags only like rocks.

I did use at least 250 eighty pound bags of concrete when building the bunker as seen in these pics as well as in this new bunker thread > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

My back trap door to the bunker >

And thick concrete roof of the middle part of the bunker >

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was putting in a clothes line today to save on my energy costs...

Got to thinking:
Do any of you keep bags of that quickcrete/post cement on hand?

Just add water and you have cement that sets in minutes. I can think of a few things it might come in handy for if TSHTF for a long time.
Adding this to my list. Thanks so much. Do not know what I would do without this site!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.