Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now know why I never liked Spam. I just found a video about 10 things you'll never buy again. :eek:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I don't care what's in it because I never liked it anyway.

I don't like Vienna Sausages either.

I do like Potted Meat but only eat it maybe once every month or two.

I prefer Sardines or Kippered Herring.
I know what's in those.
Fish.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You tube fear mongering.
If all what the video portrays is really that terrible people would be dropping like flies .
Moderation is the key , but I'm with Snyper708 preferring the Sardines and Herring.
If it's pickled Herring ...YUM...I can't eat that in moderation

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
I'm not a fan of Spam, but the people making the video are ignorant and just wanted to make a video to grab attention.

Spam uses leftovers like they implied, but 1930's leftovers. Pork shoulder was once considered scrap that was only eaten by the dregs of society.

Mechanical separation turned difficult pork shoulder into readily available boneless meat once cooked in the can. Spam freed up a lot of meat supplies during WW2. It helped meat rationing work, so GI's had enough beef to fill their bellies. It kept those at home from becoming involuntary vegetarians. It saved the lives of countless displaced Pacific islanders. It was essential to the war effort as tanks and planes were.

Spam was right up there with the Garand and the Flying Fortress to help ending that horrible war.

It may not be tasty to some, like myself, but it embodies the ingenuity and patriotism of the Greatest Generation.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,145 Posts
I'm not a fan of Spam, but the people making the video are ignorant and just wanted to make a video to grab attention.

Spam uses leftovers like they implied, but 1930's leftovers. Pork shoulder was once considered scrap that was only eaten by the dregs of society.

Mechanical separation turned difficult pork shoulder into readily available boneless meat once cooked in the can. Spam freed up a lot of meat supplies during WW2. It helped meat rationing work, so GI's had enough beef to fill their bellies. It kept those at home from becoming involuntary vegetarians. It saved the lives of countless displaced Pacific islanders. I was essential to the war effort as tanks and planes were.

Spam was right up there with the Garand and the Flying Fortress to help ending that horrible war.

It may not be tasty to some, like myself, but it embodies the ingenuity and patriotism of the Greatest Generation.
Not to mention we sent enough to Russia to get them through the siege of Stalingrad. Don't think they would have made it otherwise.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I love spam. Its so good its nearly addictive.

I don't really care what parts of which animals is made from.

Its the high salt, fat and nitrite content that keeps me from eating a can every day.
I always keep some in the pantry. I don't eat it every day, but every once in a while a Spam sandwich sounds really good. I get the single serve pouches for that.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Not to mention we sent enough to Russia to get them through the siege of Stalingrad. Don't think they would have made it otherwise.
Not just Stalingrad, but the entire Russian war effort. Khrushchev supposedly wrote in his autobiography (I haven't read it) that if it were not for our shipments of Spam, the Soviet Union would not have been able to feed its Army.

We shipped a lot to the UK as well during the war years.

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
If I was wrapped in rugs hiding in burnt out tractor factory hoping I could scare off the next infantry push by the Germans while freezing my ass off and hoping my old battered rifle was going to work, then I'd consider that can of Spam to blessed by Jesus himself.

Life is always a matter of perspective.

·
One with everything...
1,808 Posts
Carrageenan? Who cares if it was used for a Hollywood special effect - so was split pea soup IIRC.

And I LIKE Spam. I'll even have YOUR Spam. Yum!!!

Good thing that Ms. Youtube doesn't live in a different country, where they enjoy such delicacies as Sheep brain pate, Medusa salad, deep fried Roaches, even Cavallo Tartare (raw horse meat)... tho I will admit no fondness for Balut eggs...

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
When I was in Korea, the “ladies” would ask for spam, which I happily offered. They’d feed a small army of folks with one tin of spam. They’d chop it up small and fry it with assorted vegetables, eggs and rice, it was some of the best “stir fry” I’ve ever had.

·
Bugged out already
4,181 Posts
I love spam musubi. I don’t eat it spam musubi often, but when I do it’s a treat. It’s not a main prep, but it’s one of the things I pick up when there is a good deal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts