Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to learn more and some people here get mad at me for asking them, and i need to catch up on my reading so if you know of a good survival book please tell me.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I just read "when technology fails" Not bad, a good over view of many topics and LOTS of further reading book reviews.
I guess it wouold help to know what your trying to survive?

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i ment wilderness survival books

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would ALWAYS encourage everyone to do research on subjects of interest. However there are things that are very difficult to impart though the written word. I have been camping and spending time in the woods since I was a kid I'm 38 now. Somewhere around 21 I started camping with little to no equipment. I carry what I have on me most of the time and nothing more. Yes read the books! But make sure you actually practice what you read. I have taken many friends camping who wanted to rough it they thought, very few made it more than 24 hours. You will not gain a reliable sense of direction nor the ability to catch, kill and eat game from a book you need a bit of practice. Remember that true survival skills are great fun as long as you can walk back home but this is not the case when you are lost on a 10000 acre hunting club with nothing but a day pack and no functional navigational equipment. Knowledge a cool head and lots of practice will make the difference. I strongly suggest you find a local mentor. Get an National Audubon field guide for your area these are great the SAS guide is fantastic also. Learn how to build a fire without a modern ignition source! Then go buy a flint and steel key chain and always keep it with you. Get a HIGH quality pocket knife keep it with you. Now I don't know your view on firearms but I always carry a concealed pistol. That makes lunch more tasty than earth worms even though they are very high in protein. I will eat ANYTHING remotely safe if I get hungry but the diffrence between alive and dead is not getting a case of diarrhea that much fluid loss will kill you given a lowered water intake. You are in the right place to start learning, what if I may ask has peaked your interest in wilderness survival?

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts
Hrm, May I suggest buying anything but this book, I've had it for some time now, and I was quite disappointed with the content. there's nothing that really sets it apart from other survival books and it's quite basic.

just my 0.02$:thumb:

But its still useful for dry tinder.. so:thumb::D:
Well to be honest it was one of the first books of this type to be published mainstream so its more a case of " theres nothing to set the other books from this one" :thumb:

I'd suggest for starters reading:

The SAS Survival Handbook, John "Lofty" Wiseman
Essential Bushcraft, Ray Mears
Woodcraft and Camping, Nessmuk

Those 3 books alone will give you a good starting place for your survival/wilderness skills libary

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Theres also alot of information for free out there. Start googleing, youtubeing and all that other crap you can do nowadays.

Seriously,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased the mini SAS Survival Handbook, John "Lofty" Wiseman

It doesn't set far from the other books you can find. but I got the Mini because I wanted to pack a book to aid me incase I forgot something along the way...

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,467 Posts
i want to learn more and some people here get mad at me for asking them, and i need to catch up on my reading so if you know of a good survival book please tell me.
Let them get mad, keep asking anyway. Have you looked through the Survival Files section on this forum? There is a lot of good stuff there and it's free.:thumb:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php

·
Read Only
251 Posts
Larry Dean Olson
Cody Lundin
Mors Kochanski
Calvin Rutstrum
Nessmuk aka George Washington Sears
Horace Kephart
Greg Davenport
+1 for Tom Brown-all of his are good

And yes, by all means, keep asking questions. That's what this forum is for. I've been dinking around with the hobby for 30+ years and still have lots of questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am glad to see that someone offered up the Boy Scout Handbook. I am an Eagle Scout my self, but even my sisters own copies of the book. Great as a base of knowledge for anyone of our mutual disposition.

Also, go to any used books store, old books store, etc. Older books are great for old world knowledge.

The SAS put out some really good stuff. AND It's tried and tested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts