Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
No such thing, as long as you aren't using rent money to buy them.
I worked in restaurants, and have a few mil-surps that needed matching bayonets, and so...I have more than some, not as many as others.
About half the kitchen knives.

Some of the folders

The bayonets, Enfield 1907 down to the Enfield spike from WW2.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
My wife thinks the number is close to 200 and I don't dissuade her of that number. It's closer to 300 if not more - I haven't counted in a while. I have used all of them. I carry five or six as EDC. They get changed around. Only a couple are worth over $200. Most are in the $40-70 range. I need more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had several pocket knives and a couple of fixed blades as kid growing up in southern Minnesota. And, I made excellent use of those knives for camping, fishing, hunting, trapping, etc. It was a wonderful life! As an adult with more money at my disposal, I have built a large collection of knives - pocket knives, folders, fixed blades, and multi-tools, I did that because I seem to have some sort of fetish for sharp blades. I do not need the majority of those knives. I work in corporate America and live in a large metro suburb. I rarely camp, fish, or hunt anymore. If I am being rational about this, I would sell-off the majority of my knives. My wife would hope that I would do that. But, she understands that I am a collector of things - knives, bayonets, milsurp guns, flashlights, tools, photography gear, cone top beer cans, etc. The list goes on....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep. My wife worked at the Western Cutlery factory in Longmont Colorado during their last days. She had her pick of the shelves and we loaded up. I handle them everyday; some are put to useful purposes, others are simply for admiration and gloating. I have the Holy Grails on my wall, and enjoy communing with them.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,145 Posts
Yep. My wife worked at the Western Cutlery factory in Longmont Colorado during their last days. She had her pick of the shelves and we loaded up. I handle them everyday; some are put to useful purposes, others are simply for admiration and gloating. I have the Holy Grails on my wall, and enjoy communing with them.
One of my favorite hunting knives is an old Western. Love it and always watch for others like it at yard sales.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of my favorite hunting knives is an old Western. Love it and always watch for others like it at yard sales.
Handmade in the USA by hardworking craftsmen. I got to tour the factory, it was amazing.

Very much a family-oriented operation. She'd bring home the best breakfast burritos, brought in fresh-made, still warm, in coolers and sold by family members.

She worked in the front office, has a personally autographed company history book signed by Harvey Platts, says he was a very nice gracious man.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Some people say that I do, but I don't really think that is possible myself. I have about 50 knives that I use for cooking/slaughtering and meat processing and always picking up more. Handy always having the right knife for whatever it is you are doing...

·
Freedom Freeloader
594 Posts
I don't really know how many I have exactly.

There are 10-12 that I have bought... But then there's this huge collection I inherited from my dad!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently inventoried my accumulation and though not a collector I have currently 144 knives both fixed and folding that doesn’t count the 30 I have given away to relatives and friends. I have about 20 or so that actually get used. When I was younger and healthier I used more but the last two years have been tough so I use less. I did an addendum to my will listing all the knives that either mean something to me or are worth a few bucks so my wife will know what to do when I’m gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
I recently inventoried my accumulation and though not a collector I have currently 144 knives both fixed and folding that doesn’t count the 30 I have given away to relatives and friends. I have about 20 or so that actually get used. When I was younger and healthier I used more but the last two years have been tough so I use less. I did an addendum to my will listing all the knives that either mean something to me or are worth a few bucks so my wife will know what to do when I’m gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pictures, Please!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Lost count of how many I have, nealry all of them quality blades that I could sell for more than what I paid. Some of the early US or Japan made Cold Steels for example. I'm also into collecting knives so it it has some historic or collectors value and the price is right, I buy miltiples and keep them boxed.
There's only so many knives you can use at a time, maybe half a dozen or so are the ones that get real use.
So if you have more than 4 or 5 knives... start buying quality, becuase you are a collector now, so dont collect crap.:LOL: (y)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would love to see your Holy Grail wall collection, if I its OK :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, but as the years past, I buy less and less as the quality increases.
What I really want to get is a handcrafted bushcraft knife, which I plan to do one day.

If you have any best recommendations. Then suggest to me the best knife.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,875 Posts
Handmade in the USA by hardworking craftsmen. I got to tour the factory, it was amazing.

Very much a family-oriented operation. She'd bring home the best breakfast burritos, brought in fresh-made, still warm, in coolers and sold by family members.

She worked in the front office, has a personally autographed company history book signed by Harvey Platts, says he was a very nice gracious man.
My first fixed blade knife was a Hunting knife from Western. What a beautiful knife that was! It stayed in the trunk of my car for decades and got rusty.
I cleaned it up some and still have it. I used to think it was a big knife. I suppose it is a rat tail tang but the handle never gave a hint of being weak.
It did get some use from time to time. I can't believe Western went out of business.
Found this pic online. Matches mine pretty well, including the corrosion. :)

I tried not to go too crazy buying knives, but still ended up with quite a lot of them.
The one tool option.
The bug out bag knife. Then that was too large perhaps for routine tasks, so pair the large one with a Mora or something.
And of course you need this for each bugout bag and get home bag. And vehicle.
Then folding knives for the utility and some defense role. Then different sizes according to whether wearing dress pants or cargo pants.

Then the specialty knives. Well, Matt Graham designed this one, etc.
Or special function knives. Like the Becker Tac-Tool. Man I have used and abused the heck out of that thing. Breaks through brick walls, etc.

Then you need the larger stuff for hacking through jungles, which is of course a practical concern. and zombies. And wild boar. And what if a rogue elephant were to charge the house?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have 3 sheath knives that I use on a regular basis.
Last year I added 2 more on a whim. One was a nice pocket knife, the other a design I'd always wanted to try (Kephart).
They were the first knives that I had bought in at least 20 years.

I may have 4 or 5 more that are strictly sentimental. My great grandads hunting knife, a pocket knife my son gave me for fathers day, etc.

I guess that's a grand total of about 10. That's plenty for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm beginning to think maybe I do. Over the years I've collected may quality (and not so quality) knives. I have enough knives that I can easily fill a tote and that does seem to be a bit excessive...LOL
They are well organized and I love going through them. Is having the equivalent of a tote full of knives too much or perhaps not enough?
Not possible

41 - 60 of 63 Posts