Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My adult children are aware that their dad is a collector of things.
The oldest is married to a buy, sell, trade, yard sale aficionado. My youngest has an eye for value and knows that some of the stuff dad collects is hard to find or worth quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,413 Posts
Too many? Yeah, to put it mildly. I sell at gun shows. Years back, I also sold knives. When the Obama buying rush started, I stopped selling knives because they took too much of my time and customers wanting to buy higher dollar items were starting to form lines, or walking off altogether.

I never started back up selling them, so I have a couple large totes full that I need to get rid of and the gun shows are getting cancelled unpredictably, so I'm not inclined to travel out of town for one. My last two local ones were cancelled too.

Nothing special, mostly lower dollar stuff that turns fast. Though I did take a few collectibles for myself, like a Boker folder with ceramic blade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm beginning to think maybe I do. Over the years I've collected may quality (and not so quality) knives. I have enough knives that I can easily fill a tote and that does seem to be a bit excessive...LOL
They are well organized and I love going through them. Is having the equivalent of a tote full of knives too much or perhaps not enough?
Of course we do have to many and flashlights too. Your a prepper for love of God

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Flashlights? check! they're strategically located so I'm always within easy reach or a few steps of one.

I have an affinity for Case knives when it comes to pocket knives. Currently carrying a CV Muskrat, but a Trapper or two are available and I use to carry a Trapper before I carried the Muskrat.

I use to really like the Becker line of knives and of course Ka Bar of which I have several.

Mora Knives is another one that seems to have a place in the scheme of things. I don't know how many Mora knives I have, when I think I have an accurate count on them another one crops up...

Add a couple of fully kitted out ESEE 5's (with the new G10 handles) and I've not even come close to scratching the surface...

I tell ya it's an illness...LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't find it now, but I saw some pics and commentary from a Russian guy, I believe, who has perhaps 2,500 knives. Not quite as extreme as Scotty Fulton in KY who has collected about 14,000 hammers!

·
Padre in the woods
1,525 Posts
Too many? Are we collecting, or are there practical uses? Like Oldendum mentions, we all have our collections, for better or worse, and I'm sure a cereal box collector would be appalled to learn their prize collection was not placed on a throne after their death. I think the best we can do is have detailed enough instructions in our wills, and a private letter of value to the heirs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Absolutely but most are from the evolution of my search for the perfect set of knives. I have slowly given some to others some are kept for game/meat/ garden processing others are back up there are a couple of Bear Grylls knives bought at 75% off clearance to see if they were Hype or actually usable knives (I f that is what I had I wouldn't feel under- knifed ) I have come down to a few knifes that work for me Mora Kansbol, Mora Eldris SAK Walker , Opinel#6 I have 2 each of these knives. If something heavier is called for I have a Becker BK-10 that is always close and a BK 9
My Becker BK-10 is Special to me. It was gifted to me by a member of another forum it was already modified to my liking thumb ramp removed and the clip point rounded some it is a Camillus blank that Kabar finished. It rides in a kydex sheath gifted by another member on that forum both where given to me at a time when I was having a depression episode and needed something good for a change. It now wears Moreton bay Chestnut scales an early Christmas gift from my wife . I use it from wacking limbs off of trees to slicing bagels
IMG_20201204_131425.jpg

·
I say I say
1,003 Posts
Back 5 or 6 years ago a friend that was a knife maker and tinkerer passed away quickly.
I went back to NY to help them go through things. I spent literally 5 days almost 8 hours each day going through the knives.
There was over 1000 knives.
There were over 100 buck knives alone.
The family did $2k a month in eBay and craigslist for over a year. Switchblades are not legal in NY so I brought all the switchblades back here to Montana. To stay ahead of any trouble I went to my sheriff and got a letter saying that I was a bonafide knife collector and that the collection has switchblades.
Point of the story....even my friend didn't have too many knives!

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Back 5 or 6 years ago a friend that was a knife maker and tinkerer passed away quickly.
I went back to NY to help them go through things. I spent literally 5 days almost 8 hours each day going through the knives.
There was over 1000 knives.
There were over 100 buck knives alone.
The family did $2k a month in eBay and craigslist for over a year. Switchblades are not legal in NY so I brought all the switchblades back here to Montana. To stay ahead of any trouble I went to my sheriff and got a letter saying that I was a bonafide knife collector and that the collection has switchblades.
Point of the story....even my friend didn't have too many knives!
FYI = according to the New York Penal Law.

You can possess switchblades while in the act of hunting or fishing.

And in the home mere "possession" is not illegal as long as you have a reason [ hunting & fishing ].

And of course all the exempted police,fire,military,one handed persons etc.

·
Off the leash
2,312 Posts
Not even close to too many. Let's see, I have one I carry in my right pocket every time I leave the house, one or two in my purse, one in the truck and a couple extras in my whatnot box in case I would loose my pocket carry one. Haven't been without one on me in some manner in over 20 years.

As far as kitchen knives, I have almost everyone Rada makes. Only kind I will use. They are used, washed by hand, dried and put back in their cases or sleeves. They do not go in the silverware drawer with all the other knives and junk.

·
Padre in the woods
1,525 Posts
I don't think anyone with a real interest can have too much of anything. The exception being, having hundreds of guns going into battle. I don't know of anyone who can carry all those weapons into battle.

·
I say I say
1,003 Posts
They needed to sell them so I got them out of ny.
I kept two or three.
A few sold for close to $1000 each

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,606 Posts
Yeah..no..cant have ‘too’ many knives..jmo

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
93 Posts
I mean, if we're being honest here, i don't have near as many knives as some members here. I also probably have more knives than some members here. As for knives that are just single blade tools, i own five. One is my normal task knife for any cutting and carving while I'm out in the woods. Another is what i call my beater blade, a BudK Bushman-style knockoff that is for all my batonning needs and spear uses. The there is little neck knife, my Krieger folding knife, and my double edge dagger that is delegated to EOTW circumstances because my current state doesn't allow carrying anything for self defense that is intentionally designed to cause physical bodily harm.

This doesn't include blades that are on my multitools, my tomahawk, or other tools. I have had larger collections, but i reduced my numbers for personal reasons.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Yes I do. Through forced poverty I find myself not able to add to my gun collection but can indulge in an occasional inexpensive knife. I have found that cheap is all I can in good conscious be allowed to own since I tend to lose pocket knifes. I once lost a Kershaw Al Mar within 30 minutes of it being delivered and never afaict left the sofa. Somewhere out there is a very expensive Puma folder, a Syderco stag handled grasshopper. The elves in our house do not steal socks, they grab my knives! When I find a knife I like I buy multiples of them. If they are cheap or break no biggie. I like a particular cheap stiletto but the spring is crap. I buy a particular key chain knife in bulk and just give them away. It amazes me that people will try to use a key to open a box or plastic packaging.

Got this just because it so pimp

This I buy and give away. Were 5 but lately more like 8 bucks.

Like this so much bought 4 of them for 5 bucks each. Good 440c steel, real birch and bone. Very gentleman class and not too big and more often or not the one in my pocket most days. Best deal ever.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts