Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to think maybe I do. Over the years I've collected may quality (and not so quality) knives. I have enough knives that I can easily fill a tote and that does seem to be a bit excessive...LOL
They are well organized and I love going through them. Is having the equivalent of a tote full of knives too much or perhaps not enough?

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
Acquiring things is life. I remember after getting out of the Army I could move with just 2 trips on my motorcycle. After a while it was 2 trips in the car, then 2 trips with a truck. Now it would take 2 semi's.

Collecting useful things like tools, knives, guns, reloading equipment, seeds vs. empty beer cans, beanie baby's etc.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
The knife drawer has some knives in it. Some are old with memories, some are new waiting for memories. Some are just interesting. And then there is the group that I use. A couple that hang around my pocket. Some that hang on pistol belts, some that hide in my huntings packs. Having too many knives is like having too many memories. I think reducing knives would be akin to dementia.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,721 Posts
I also have an overflowing box full of quality knives. And a box full of rifle bayonets. My money is spent on quality things I can enjoy, even if just the tactile feel of it, and putting it away, from time to time.

Quality items like these are good investments. Manufacturing processes often result in items being discontinued, or cheapened designs, or really high costs. A good knife will never become obsolete. A box full of different types is a sound investment.

I have known people who spent fortunes on collecting rubbish. Dolls, china cups, collector spoons for display, shot glasses, etc. I once had a girlfriend, who had a female friend, that collected "Longaberger" wicker baskets. These are often $50, $100, $200 baskets. I wouldn't pay 1/10th of the retail price for these absurdities. This woman had thousands of dollars of wicker baskets in her home, that held things like toilet paper or decorative knick knacks...

Go to any summer time suburban garage sale and you see mountains of garbage being sold for 10% or even 1% of the original retail prices...

I don't feel at all bad about my knives, guns, guitars, swords, etc. collection...

·
Padre in the woods
1,525 Posts
I need to find a good knife store, local, or on-line. Most of mine are old and were not really good. Best one is my dad's knife from the early 30s he used in hunting.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
You should make some, its not all that hard. Wayne's $50 knife shop book is a good start. Check your local library.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, but I buy fewer and fewer as the years go by while the quality goes up. What I really would like to buy is a handmade knife for bushcraft and I will one day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a few decent knives, like my Buck 102 that I got as a teenager back in the late 1960s. And a Puma Bowie from the early 1970's. Many years later I got a few nice knives. Eck bowie, old Cold Steel tanto, Boker stockman pocket knife. And I accumulated a few midstream knives over the years, nothing fancy, but users. Not long ago I got five new, genuine Fallkniven F1 knives for $100.

I spent 3.5 years in Thailand 1977-1980 and started buying hand-forged Thai knives for $2-$5 each. Eventually imported several boxes after I got back ( failed import business venture). Then recently I got into bargain-basement but quality Central/South American machetes sold on closeout. I must have 2 hundred + knives kicking around. But I also have in excess of 60 hammers and close to that many screwdrivers. Hand-me-downs, < $1 flea market finds, that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I have a few totes full of pretty high end blades.

I got rid of the few hundred chinese crap hat I once owned.

I 'found' Bark River Knife & Tool and that was the start of me staying with only quality steel.

I buy & use a blade on the basis that it could mean my life,if it failed.

Many do not get used as often as age has slowed my woods & hunting time.

But at all times I have 3 folders in the pockets and 3 in the woods too.

I am a firm believer in the adage " one is none,two is one".

So I go with 3 !!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've only got two hands, so any more than two hands would be a waste.......unless I was an octopus.

It's the sharpening that I'm trying to get sorted in the most efficient way.

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sharpening? I've also got a shoebox full of sharpening stones. Two sided corundum pucks and elongated ellipses, medium and hard Arkansas stones, Diamond hones, a tri hone, a full set of Lanski stones, a few crock sticks and an ancient EZ lap.
Thanks for the replies, and pic's, I've always thought one could never have enough knives. Yet there might be an acceptable limit...LOL

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's only useful if you use them. I stock garden tools hahah. Have literally tons of sharp tool steel. I wouldn't mind a handful of throwers though, those look cool, I need something to throw at these magpies getting all my animal feed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a garden hoe, a tri-pronged weeder on the end of a 6ft wooden pole and a iron spike, again on a 6ft wooden pole, which I use to plant my onion and garlic bulbs.
I keep them all very sharp as they double as self defence.
I keep the tri-pronged weeder in the house just in case.......you never know when you need to do a bit of weeding!

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL...now that you mention it...

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
How many people close to you have the interest in knives you do? Not many I bet.
So when your gone your wife is going to donate them all to Goodwill.
I figure that a lot of us have a lot of similar collections that in the end, it's just junk to others,
I know it sounds insulting, but from experience, I've been given literally tons of stuff nobody else wanted.
From my time here I recognize several here that are multi-talented. Do you realize that in this world how few are talented in more than tying their own shoelaces? And those that can, can't do it with out looking.
Every generation there are fewer and fewer of us that have these unique values, and the flood of knives on the market is unbelievable, and they are not selling. Except to guys like us.
Enjoy your passion and realize it's just your passion. like your appreciation for your young child's art.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts