Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personal Uses for 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)​

1)Athlete's foot: Hydrogen peroxide can be used in a foot bath for athlete's foot, bunions, corns, plantar warts and general foot health. Diabetics have found relief from circulation problems by soaking their feet in this solution. Add 1 pint of 3% of H2O2 to 1gallon of warm, clean/distilled water and soak for 30 minutes morning and night. This practice will improve the overall oxygen content of the blood.

2)Beauty aid: If you want to lighten your hair, but still want a natural look, spray 50/50 3% mix to your wet hair after a shower and comb it through, but do not get it in your eyes. If you just want a highlight, dilute the 3% solution and comb it in your hair. To rejuvenate and freshen your face after washing; saturate a cotton ball with 3 % H2O2 and gently rub on the face and neck.

3)Disinfectant: Let your toothbrush soak in a cup of peroxide to disinfectant it. Clean your counters, table tops and bathroom with peroxide to kill germs. After rinsing off your cutting board, pour peroxide over it to kill Salmonella and other bacteria. It’s also not suppose to harm your septic system like other disinfectants.

4)Deodorant: Saturate a cotton ball with 3 % H2O2 and rub it on your armpits. You can also use a sprayer for this application.

5)Eyes: Never use any type of hydrogen peroxide in or around the eyes.

6)Infections, burns and cuts: Wash/rinse area with peroxide

7)Mouthwash: Rinse your mouth with water, then gargle and wash mouth
with one capful of 3 % H2O2 , swishing for about 60 seconds and spit it out. Do not swallow and wash your mouth out with water afterwards. This practice may also help to whiten your teeth. Some “whitening” toothpastes contain a diluted amount of peroxide. Peroxide rinses in your mouth will help if you have infected gums or any type of problem like mouth sores.

8)Toe nail fungus: Spray 50/50 mixture of 3% peroxide and water every night and let dry.

9)Washing Clothes: Use a cup of peroxide, instead of bleach to a load of whites. Blood stains are easily removed with peroxide, however, you need to be careful with colored clothes. If you have allergies to bleach, use peroxide instead since it doesn’t have a strong odor. Also, peroxide won’t wear out your clothes, like bleach does.

Note: Hydrogen peroxide comes in a “brown” bottle because sunlight affects it. Keep it in a cool, dark place for a longer shelf life.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Yes the wife is a nurse and gets several bottles everytime she works from drug reps.

Can never have to much

good post

·
Registered
772 Posts
i Wonder if it ever goes bad? Same for rubbing alcohol...does it ever go bad? I wouldn't think so, but it seems that I recall seeing a "best by" date on it or something.

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
i Wonder if it ever goes bad? Same for rubbing alcohol...does it ever go bad? I wouldn't think so, but it seems that I recall seeing a "best by" date on it or something.
The peroxide I bought early this summer has an expiration date of 04/2010, so yes, it does expire. My experience with expired peroxide is that it doesn't bubble up when you put it on a wound, and I would guess that some of the antiseptic properties would be reduced. I think alcohol lasts "forever" as long as it does not evaporate, so the more full the bottle, the better.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the shelf life is 2 years. I have used some older than that, but it doesn't bubble.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay, when hydrogen peroxide doesn't bubble when you put it on an open wound, it isn't doing it's job. This is one of those cases where the expiration date actually does matter. Hydrogen peroxide spontaneously decomposes into water and oxygen (2 H202 > 2 H20 and O2) when left alone. This happens during the entire duration of it's existence. Even before that bottle expires, it has substantially decomposed. The hotter the bottle, the quicker this happens, btw.

A better idea is to prep with apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar), which doesn't decompose so rapidly, and will work as both a topical antifungal, and a topical antibacterial.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Thanks much for the info Malaz. Saved it as a document in my little survival folder :D:

I remember as a boy of nine or so I cut my foot with an axe. My mum (nurse) poured H202 over it. IIRC, it all fizzed up and stopped the bleeding. I remember thinking how cool she was to know that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts