Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,175 Posts
I have included games, books, radio, etc. in the preps for entertainment when the electric goes out. Even more options when power is on not to mention projects around the house. I don't anticipate any problems.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,258 Posts
"WILDERNESS can CHANGE a Man"

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today. Welcome home....welcome home. Home from the wilderness, for he is free to return at any time to your true nature.

NOTE: I wrote this based on my six months alone in the Alaska wilderness, in the early 70's. I was proving up on my federal homestead land grant.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't mind it a bit. That said, if I didn't have things to do to keep my mind busy, that may be a different story. Unfortunately, I live in town, for the moment. I think out more remote I'd feel more comfortable, as strange as that may sound. At least then, I could appreciate my surroundings instead of looking at the house across the street.

Also, have a dog. Not sure if that counts but she is great company and helps when I'm WFH until the wife gets home.

·
Indefatigable
19,924 Posts
No problems as long as I have a source for music and that can be as simple as a 5 gal bucket I can drum on.

Reactions: BigJim and Cornly2

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,303 Posts
EVERY WINTER..my wife goes to Florida for about a month.
so
it is just me and the dogs back here in the woods... for that month with just the rare trip to town for mail and essentials
SO
I am already living alone.

She got back 6 days ago just before the lid really blew off everything.

We are hunkered in with all the comforts and a video library as big as Blockbuster used to have.

we shall endure.:D:

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
I work from home. No need to go into either of my offices unless I WANT TO. As long as I have internet access, I am good to go. Office phone is a soft client on the laptop; can be here, in Tempe, or Nairobi (which I was and did), I can take calls. WiFi calling is awesome.

The cats sleep 19 hours a day and as long as the radio works all is good in my little world. Ventured out today to join the other smelly Walmart shoppers. Needed a few things for changing oil on the little truck so grabbed another 3 pounds of coffee. Now I'm really good to go.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
365 Posts
I'm an extrovert married to an introvert. Being restricted to only socializing with my husband could be a pain in the ass, for me, him, or both.

So long as I can talk to myself as well, I think I'll manage. LOL ;)

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I really hate going places mostly, definitely hate crowds and cities, but we seem to HAVE to go places to buy stuff we need. I wished we didn't

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,284 Posts
I actually like it. I've always loved to lock myself away for weeks or even months at a time. Only going out to shop if required. Though preferring not to.

I don't crave the company of others and I'm never bored, even if there's nothing to do. I've been that way since childhood. In fact I prefer not to interact if possible, though quite comfortable if it's a requirement. As in my business has long been people related. I have never understood those who can't live without others. To be a social creature, you'd think we would have developed better skills in getting along with each other.

Though I function equally as well if forced to live the status quo. So either way I'm fine. I had been solitary for years, but now I'm a family man again. It's all good in the long run.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've know guys who go stir crazy after a week in the woods. They crave NASCAR, Facebook and most of them have never read a book or gone a month without talking to someone. The only thing I'd miss is my girlfriend, and most likely she'd be with me.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,662 Posts
I'm a social person. I miss my groups a lot. I like hanging out with friends, at coffee, at a bar, wherever.

I'm surprised at one level that it bothers me as much as it does. I knew that would be the consequence of isolation, but still.

Oddly, the things that I thought would compensate, primarily the internet, email, texting people--it helps only some.

·
American fearmaker
14,241 Posts
I stole this from a friend... It's a spin off from the opening of "The Omega Man."

Coronavirus Pandemic, day 16.
If anyone is still out there, I’m alive but struggling. Food is running low. Down to only 459 days worth. My hands are super sanitized and my butt is super clean. Down to 1599 rounds of ammo (dropped 1 round down the heat vent while doing daily inventory). Power still on, but for how long? Missing human interaction but I have my dogs.. for now.. (I'm soaking their food in BBQ sauce in an attempt to marinate them from the inside in case I have to eat them) . I fear dark days ahead. News is all bad. Neighbors have attempted to leap from windows to their death, (or near death... most have single story homes so they are badly bruised). Blew through most Netflix series so may have to rewatch some again..Basic Survival is a definite challenge. I vow to persevere to the end, I am a survivor! Please, if there is life out there, communicate with me to help preserve my sanity..
*Copy and pasted from another fellow survivor *

1 - 20 of 29 Posts