Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hope is when the dems take control, the fine for not being able to afford Obamacare reborn is not too high. That is my hope.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,586 Posts
We had great healthcare in America. Great quality, plenty of providers, decent price.
Then Congress passed ObamaCare.
Now the system is screwed up, costs keep increasing, and even those wth insurance are poorly served.
My hope is Congress repeals the entire program, and we go back to where we were.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,252 Posts
AFFORDABLE usable HEALTHCARE

Oxymoron
like jumbo shrimp and military intelligence.

One of the benefits of having folks try to kill me on a regular basis...
great health care if you live to retirement :D::thumb:
Same for the nurse wife

Not a lot of $$$
but
great healthcare for life from the retirement package.
Now we are both on Medicare as primary but our BC picks up pretty much most of everything else.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a quote for Obamacare many years ago. I think it was $5,000 a year, $5,000 deductible and 50% co-pay and 1 million limit. So if my healthcare bill was 2 million. I'd pay 1.5 million of it....yep.

I tried to go to a dermatologist. When I called for an appointment they said they only take insurance, no cash patients.

If my hope in the OP does not come to fruition, my other hope is China, Mehico and Cuba can do our healthcare for .10 on the dollar.

Now, the USA has the best healthcare in the world...but one problem. It is astronomical in cost and can't afford it. And I can't afford the fine for not being able to not afford it either.

·
Indefatigable
19,895 Posts
NONE
It will be my generation who have to die before anything changes.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,786 Posts
I have great healthcare coverage provided to me by the US Navy.

No, I do not seek medical care on-base, I only use civilian MD doctors. I am no longer treated by HM corpsmen/medics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in Saskatchewan where we have government insurance. My wife was diagnosed with a tumour on her spinal cord. She was admitted to hospital in an hour and a half.She spent six weeks in hospital, including physio. The surgery was done by a top neurosurgeon. She made a complete recovery. We do not pay premiums in Saskatchewan. All of the costs are paid by the government. This is true for everyone. All the provinces are the same. It has always been a puzzle why the US doesn't do the same. We have excellent healthcare and we pay for it through our taxes.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,214 Posts
I live in Saskatchewan where we have government insurance. My wife was diagnosed with a tumour on her spinal cord. She was admitted to hospital in an hour and a half.She spent six weeks in hospital, including physio. The surgery was done by a top neurosurgeon. She made a complete recovery. We do not pay premiums in Saskatchewan. All of the costs are paid by the government. This is true for everyone. All the provinces are the same. It has always been a puzzle why the US doesn't do the same. We have excellent healthcare and we pay for it through our taxes.
Part of the problem is our progressive income taxes. Almost half of the people pay zero federal income taxes. That means the other half would have to foot the bill for everyone else.

I'd think we'd have as much of an issue if everyone contributed to the federal coffers. A flat tax would do that, but any talk of raising taxes on the half that are freeloaders has become the political kiss of death.

If the Dems were in charge, they'd continue to load the entire cost onto the productive half of the country in order to keep the non-productive voting for Democrats.

Why is it that we keep hearing about it taking 6 months to schedule an MRI in Canada? Is that a regional issue, or is it fake news?

Let me stomp on one myth most people in other countries hear about the US healthcare system. Regardless of what you may be told, no one is denied healthcare in the US. We have a federal healthcare program called Medicaid for poor people. That is frequently supplemented by local state medial aid programs. Medicare pays for health care for those 65 or over. That pays about 80% of the costs. Plus, it is illegal for a hospital to turn someone away because they cannot pay for a medical procedure. That's what members are referring to in some of the other posts.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,085 Posts
Wait a second... Just who's responsibility is it to keep your insurance rates low?

Dems = socialization = equalization = same low quality care for everyone. No incentive to produce life saving drugs, procedures and policies.

There is a reason people wait months to unclog heart arteries in socialized medicine countries. In some countries, 28% of them die waiting! Is that really what you want?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Yes, but only after $75 ER co-pays for Medicaid and Medicare put the brakes on patient abuse, pill shoppers and hypochondriacs. Before that, not the remotest possibility.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Eliminate all insurance and let supply and demand dictate prices, just like every other product or service. Medicare reimbursement rates are affordable, and if physicians are accepting Medicare rates from the government, they would accept it from patients.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I have great healthcare coverage provided to me by the US Navy.

No, I do not seek medical care on-base, I only use civilian MD doctors. I am no longer treated by HM corpsmen/medics.
Same. I have two great health insurance plans plus Medicare. I have zero problems in that area. My advice to young people has been, and likely will continue to be, get a job that offers great med insurance. Yes the job may pay less than what you may get working elsewhere, but the retirement benefits are what you want. I tell them "Trust me on that because even you will get old".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Universal government health care could be paid for by diverting money from the bloated 900 billion dollar defence budget. It could be accomplished without impacting the overall security of the US. The only nations that geographically could invade the US are Mexico and Canada. The US is 7 times more powerful than the rest of the Great Powers combined. The nuclear forces of the US can destroy any and all enemies. Diverting a third of the defence budget to healthcare means you save hundreds of dollars a month, your employer would save thousands, no deductable, no co-pay. Your taxes may go up but your net cost won't change that much. If wait times go up, build more hospitals and train more heathcare workers. It works here. I've never met anyone in this country who would rather change to the US system.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts