Survivalist Forum banner

Do you have any books in your Bug Out Bag?

• Yes

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • No, but thinking about adding one when I get one

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, but thinking about removing it to lighten the load

Votes: 1 2.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I did do a search for this, but I couldnt find a thread.

I am tossing up the idea of putting the SAS survival guide in my BOB, but I am yet to make up my mind as yet if that would be 'good weight' as realistically my BOB is already too heavy. I also want a book of local edibles, but I am yet to even find that book.

I was watching a Ray Mears episode last night, and the "psychology of survival' was brought up, and having a survival book around seemed to make a big difference, as simply reading the book seemed to boost morale.

Anyway, simple question, do you have a book in your bug out bag, and if you do, what is it?

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
Text books and set of encyclopedia. The new "Old Internet" when the power goes out.

Edit..Sorry just re-read "BOB". That would be allot in the bag I guess. I'm sorry, started typing before I started thinking.. I do that sometimes. OK in the bag, Back to the basics manual I picked up at Sam's has old school stuff like blacksmithing, sewing, Planting gardens and harvesting seeds etc...Old school stuff like that. City Maps-co, for my area.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the only book i keep is the mini version of the SAS. the original SAS is way to heavy to carry and the mini has all the same stuff. I also keep a waterproof note pad with useful info i have written down like Hot wiring cars, explosive making, chemical conversion, stuff they dont make books for etc

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,754 Posts
I keep a small Bible in mine, along with the survival flickbook. It's got a lot of handy info and isn't very heavy. Though I've learned most if it or committed it to memory by now and am considering removing it. I'm trying to keep the pack as light as possible for mobility. I cache most everything, so I might cache the flickbook with my other books.

·
Fly on the Wall
143 Posts
the only book i keep is the mini version of the SAS. the original SAS is way to heavy to carry and the mini has all the same stuff. I also keep a waterproof note pad with useful info i have written down like Hot wiring cars, explosive making, chemical conversion, stuff they dont make books for etc
I had to go look that up on Amazon and put it on my Wishlist, I didn't realize there was a mini SAS Guide, or that mine weighed quite so much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you were able to take a laptop in you BOB and find some way to connect to the interwebs, you'd be set.
I've got a lot of stuff on my external HDD which I'd like to take with me. It's not in my bag, due to the fact that I use it all day every day, but it's one of the few less crucial items that I've got on my list that I will grab as I leave. I'd take my laptop, if possible. It's a tiny netbook, doesn't weight much or take much power.
They're not ideal, mainly due to needing power, but where I'm going will have power capabilities.

·
Coarse and violent nudity
161 Posts
I have SAS survival book, Boy Scout handbook, that zombie survival book (Easily removed if it isn't zeds).

Does Playboy count?
I have one of those in there too. Boredom is going to be a major enemy. Can't be bored when looking at pics of attractive women :thumb:

·
Save a life; carry a gun.
717 Posts
Apart from textbooks, 10% of Americans buy 90% of the books published. What this really means is that 90% of Americans don't read books. It applies to readers of this forum as well. Just take a look at the sub-forum on books. It's not what one would call a hotbed of debate, or even interest.

Topics of actual importance seem to garner few readers. I assume that this is because most readers don't wish to engage in mental exertion. If they do read at all, they want everything they need to know in one book. There is no one book.

What do I carry in my survival kit to read? Medecine for Mountaineering plus whatever else I happen to be reading at the time. I'm one of the 10%.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I have a plant guide for my area.. that and a mushroom book.. (I still dont dare eat them) that and a sas survial guide (since its small) also a remote wilderness frist aid book... (it came with a class so I have training on top)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts