Survivalist Forum banner

What are your allergies? (Multiple choices allowed)

• Animal (Cat, dog, guinea pig etc)

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Food (Egg, seafood, strawberry, celery etc)

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Food additive

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Plant (Airborn like pollen, touch, smell, "hayfever")

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Medication

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Insect bite

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Mold, dust, dustmite etc

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • Contact allergy (Metal, rubber, cosmetics, soap etc)

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • No allergies

Votes: 16 22.2%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MULTIPLE CHOICE poll.

Tried to include the most common allergies. I wish I had had more options in though. But I found place for "other" at least.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I grew up I was allergic to pets, horses, dust, perfume and also had idiopathic urticaria.

Back then (70s) it was still unusual to be allergic. There were a very few people with pet allergies and hayfever, I don't even remember anyone with food allergies. Most of the kids had no allergies.

I grew out of my allergies, the last one to go was horse or hay allergy, which I had up to age 12 (It was not very severe and I still went riding). I got a cat at age 8 and I can't believe my parents didn't even test me. Because cats had been off limits. But I was fine. At age 4-6 I had quite severe dust allergies, so my doc thought I'd be very disabled by this as an adult.

I can tell you from how part of my home looks, that dust is NOT an issue......

So I spent my youth and early adulthood without allergies. I actually almost looked down on allergic people. And it really bugged me that so many are allergic, to the point we see it as normal. We make so many adaptions for the allergic people, things we would never do for any other group of illnesses or disabilities.

So I've been happy with my cats and dust and eating whatever I wanted...

And.... I have a severe reaction to a medication. Have to be hospitalized. Had 2 cases of milder allergy to other meds.

But still not allergic. Part from that I get a rash from peeling shrimp... Also there is one type perfume I'm allergic to (was used in skin cream).

But still not very allergic. Right?

Oh yea, my newfound allergy to tick saliva.

You know... I should never have thought bad things about people with allergies. Karma is a bitch.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Pollen ( that's why I love winter), dust (easy to not be affected just clean), 1 medication that I can't remember the name of, and I used to be allergic to chocolate but grew out of it.

I'm looking into those shots that are suppose to not require allergy meds.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have general dust and pollen allergies. Also I am allergic to shrimp, crayfish, crab and lobster. But funny thing is I can have clams, oysters, abalone and muscles just fine. So it seems to be just the ones with claws LOL

For general allergies though, Flonase changed my life. I always had allergies, not thing too serious. Just watery eyes and such. But as I got older, it started affecting my sleep. Wife said I was having sleep apnea that started a few years back. I was always a mouth breather.

But that all changed since I started this stuff. I wake up more refreshed, wife doesn't have to poke me because I snored. Those allergy pill never seemed to work for me except benadryl but that made me sleepy.

·
Indefatigable
21,096 Posts
I have one but it's not too big a problem. I am allergic to nuts (cashews and peanuts aren't) the worst offender being pecans. The only time I have any real problems is when the pecans start to fall, get crushed into the ground, and my dog walks on them. Then, when she touches me, I break out in hives. Last time I had an problem was when I accidently took a drink from my husbands water bottle after he finished a power bar with almonds. The effect is so immediate, that I rarely swallow any of the offending item. I usually just spit it out and have blisters around and in my mouth.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
MULTIPLE CHOICE poll.

Tried to include the most common allergies. I wish I had had more options in though. But I found place for "other" at least.
Mine started when I was about 12. Allergies associated with grass, I would sneeze every third step when cutting grass.

I started smoking cigarettes and the allergies stopped.

People look at me funny when I tell them that, but it is the truth. I quit smoking after 32 years, because it is most definately bad for you, and I was feeling the effects. After quitting I developed asthma and the allergies came back.

Inhaled and "snorted" steroids are much cheaper than cigarettes.

BTW, the new hat is cool.:thumb:

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
the smoke off of burning birch trees ... or the wood from only that type of wood in a fireplace...

destroys my sinuses and vision...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
All the men in my family have bad reactions to pretty much any kind of bug bite. When I get a mosquito bite, it often swells up to quarter-sized and itches like mad. Same for chiggers. The up-side is that anytime I get a tick bite, I feel it immediately and can always pinch them out with my fingers before they get too buried in.

Bee and wasp stings are way worse. Last one I got was probably 12 or 13 years ago, it was on my shoulder/bicep area, and I looked like Quazimodo for awhile. Had another one on my hand once, my fingers looked like short red bananas. It's not terribly painful and no illness comes from it, just swells up and gets really hard, stays tender for awhile. My biggest concern is getting bet in the neck or something, I fear the swelling would cut off my air supply. I have an epi-pen in my FAK.

Only other allergy is cats. But that's OK because I hate the little bastards anyway.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I have no allergies to any bugs or animals.

I may have slight allergies to heavy pollen.

Have a mild allergic reaction to wheat bread and coconut.

Serious allergic reactions to, shredded wheat, rye.

Any fruit juice that comes from concentrate, including anything else made from them gives a horrible allergic reaction, 4 swallows a Pepsi product completely incapacitates me 20 to 40 minutes. Cold sweats, drop in body temp, puking, trembling, headache and dizziness along with feeling like someone poured battery acid and fire into my stomache. Not a pleasant experience, now my son John is starting to have the same reaction to these things.

I also am quite allergic to chlorine, Pine sol, most any liquid shower soap, about 30 percent of deoderants, and many many perfumes.

My wife opened a bottle of perfume in the van one day put a small tester on her hand, within 3 minutes I had to pull over get out and puke for 5 minutes. I was coughing, sneezing and puking all at once boy that is an enjoyable experience.... not... lol

I have just come to the conclusion that life is much more comfortable if I only deal with things that are natural. My son John is quickly coming to that conclusion as well.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have lots of allergies that will weaken my immune system if I don't manage them. I keep two year supply of medicines on hand at all time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have allergies- hay fever from a plant- rape seed that is commonly grown in Europe. I take Zyrtec and Flonase to combat this. I never had issues stateside

1 - 20 of 31 Posts