Survivalist Forum banner

Do You Ever Wonder?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ssonb 
#1 ·
I was in a department store a little while ago and got a thought on my mind. As I look around I see people everywhere. All types of people doing their shopping before Thanksgiving. Then I thought, "I wonder how many of these people would have a chance if SHTF in here right now?"

With that I mean how many of those people would have a chance of defending themselves if some ass hat decides to enter the store with a weapon, or pull it out of his coat and start firing on customers in an effort to make the 11 o' clock news.

Me personally, I would have a chance as I never leave home without an ankle piece, which I had with me during my shopping excursion. But I just looked at all the other people and wondered, who may be packing and who isn't. My intuition told me from my initial assessment that I was in fact a rare breed inside that busy store.

Just asking if anyone else ever sizes people up in this manner and wonder if they would make it if something goes down.

#3 ·
It's called *situational awareness*.
On the street, in your vehicle, in a mall or a store, at school, in your home.
ALWAYS be aware of exits or routes of escape where-ever you are at.
Size up people as best you can with a quick once over. If anyone strikes you as *off-key* in some way, keep them in your peripheral vision and do not completely turn your back on them.

At home, keep doors locked (front and back), especially in urban areas. Keep an eye out for any unfamiliar vehicles driving slowly or repeatedly on your street. Same for unfamiliar people jogging or walking through your neighborhood.
Install a peephole, do not open the door to strangers and teach your kids to get you or spouse to come to the door if someone knocks.
Teach your kids proper firearm safety and shooting. My dad taught all us girls. Even when we were underage, none of us would have hesitated to shoot an intruder. My father would have been happier to have to bail us out than to have to bury one of us! (and he told us that repeatedly)

#7 ·
Those thoughts cross my mind all the time. Especially when I look around and see a dozen people who would struggle with a flight of stairs let alone a real situation. I se customers come in at work, and think to myself, "If a major disaster happened, they would be done in a week."

#8 ·
I don't see why people won't take care of themselves better riverrat. For me, if I don't exercise everyday I actually feel bad. I see these people and think the only thing they could defeat in a disaster is a couple days of cold weather without a coat.

Now that is not knocking those who have problems, which hinder them from losing weight and actually makes them gain weight. I know some people have medical problems that adds weight to their frame no matter how hard they try.

However, there is a post in the health & fitness section were someone was asking what the best or easiest way to lose weight was. People were telling this person to try this pill or that pill or do this or do that.

Throw your damn pills down the toilet. It is called eating right and exercise. You don't have to starve yourself to death to lose weight or eat this nasty food the so called weight watchers say you need to succeed.

Cut your calorie intake down, eat what your normally eat, except in smaller portions, throw the damn soda pop out the window and EXERCISE.

If these people could see what a hot Mt. Dew does to a rusty bolt, they wouldn't drink it. WD-40 or Liquid Wrench doesn't have anything on a hot Dew at eating away corrosion.

#9 ·
I'm a scanner and am always accessing my surroundings and am on guard 99% of the time. My wife hates it cause she thinks I'm only lookin at all the girls (definitely a different mind set ), (been with the girl for 15 yrs you'd think she'd of figured me out by now). I never leave home without at least two pieces of self defense paraphernalia on me at any time. When I look around I see mostly a bunch of robots doing the same thing they always do all the time without ever giving a second thought about the real happenings around them or the world. Having grown up on the streets and seeing the things I've seen and doing the things I've done (in the name of self preservation) it's quite easy for me to pick out the rotten apples and address them accordingly. Funny thing is my wife gives me a hard time about being the way I am but my instincts and experience has got myself and her out of several situations where if I was oblivious like most we might have become just another statistic. I make no qualms about the way I grew up because without that I would have probably been just one of the sheeple.:eek:

#10 ·
i'm the same way^^^^^. i know were the exits are. always sit so i can see the front door at restaurants. when people come over i always get the ya sacred? cause i always have the doors locked. i tell them nope. i just don't want any one to walk in my house. my wife always gives me the what r u lookin at look. cause i alwats get up n get a good look at cars goin slow by the house. call me paranoid, but i'm not gonna be an easy target.

#11 ·
I'm with you on checking things out around the house and I always sit facing the door in places. I also don't like sitting with my back to anybody. My wife don't give me much of a hard time because she sees how quickly stuff can go down.

#12 ·
Yes.

I always carry my .357 magnum and .22 magnum with me and situational awareness is the order of the day.

These days, given the massive number of people whom that lost their jobs as a function of layoffs, I would not be surprised if someone, full of resentment and anger, went into a crowded store and gunned down people.

These are bad times.

#13 ·
Not to be a candy ass, but the state that I currently reside in is very clear on this. If a whack job goes into a public place and opens fire into the crowd, and if I am a civilian, and I am armed, and if I try and subdue the armed gunman with a gun I am as in the wrong as he is. With my "pistol permit" It is illegal to carry a loaded weapon anywhere. The only way I can transport a weapon legally is unloaded and away from any source of ammunition. In the case that maybe I carry a loaded weapon, concealed, and I take the psyco gunman out before LO arrived. the chances of me being arrested and losing my gun rights in this state are overwhelming! I will leave this state and propbably find myself back out west in the next 10 years.

#14 ·
My wife says that I make people nervious cause I scan also.Just walk into a resturant and scan over the crowd,most peoples(sheeples)live in the head down world.When you actively scan and look at almost anyone and everyone in a public setting most get this wide eyed scared look like you have just invaded their own little privy world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.