Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeling like carrying a handgun when traveling isn’t enough anymore. The more that I see people who have been attacked while in their vehicles the more I feel under armed for emergency situations. I’m starting to feel like I want an AR pistol or at least a high capacity carbine in my vehicle. Is anyone else feeling the same way? I never felt this way before but things are very out of hand now. If you feel the same way what have you added to your vehicle while you travel around?

·
reluctant sinner
16,875 Posts
I always have something usually a pistol, sometimes more - rifle/shotgun or both. Depends on where I'm going and why.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have an AK micro draco. Neat gun. 6 inch barrel on an AK is a devistating report. You feel the blast. Do I carry it as a truck gun in case of a bad mob scene? No. While a handgun may not be close to a rifle, even a short barrel rifle, a pistol is far more easy to manage in the close confines of a vehicle. If it is a mob situation, you will need one hand to steer while mowing down rioters, er I mean fleeing in fear of your life. The other hand can be shooting rioters off of your vehicle as they are climbing on trying to drag you out of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
I EDC a 40 caliber pistol, with extra loaded mag's (with another back-up in my vehicle), sometimes a shotgun & ammo, big hair spray sized can of bear spray & 3 or 4 DIY flash-bangs.

The good thing about bear spray, it has some range.
You can spray advisories as they come at you, instead of on you.

Roll out a flash-bang, it goes off & crowds scatter away instantly.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,231 Posts
No.

I've traveled.with a semiautomatic carbine or rifle in my vehicle with me for years.
Same here. I've carried "extra protection" in my vehicle for decades. I'm not a scenario prepper, so the rioting didn't really change anything on my end. Such things have long been part of my preps, because...well, people are stupid. And groups of them are even more stupid.

At first it was an AK in a carry case with a stack of loaded mags, before I even had a BOB. Now it's the rifle in my BOB/GHB which I always take with me when I drive somewhere.

I also have a full size 1911 that I can grab from the drivers seat, and a holster I can toss on my belt if I feel I need more than my concealed carry gun. That's the only "new" addition, and I added it about 15 years ago.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,231 Posts
Don't underestimate the power of bear spray, especially for a crowd. It will travel 30 ft. Amazing stuff. My Grandson's curiosity got the best of him in the basement of the house. :D
I have a can of it but I don't normally carry it in the vehicle unless I can take it out every time I get out. I knew a guy who had a can of pepper spray go off in his vehicle because of the heat. So there's no way I'm leaving it in there, at least during hot weather.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,989 Posts
Same here. I've carried "extra protection" in my vehicle for decades. I'm not a scenario prepper, so the rioting didn't really change anything on my end. Such things have long been part of my preps, because...well, people are stupid. And groups of them are even more stupid.

At first it was an AK in a carry case with a stack of loaded mags, before I even had a BOB. Now it's the rifle in my BOB/GHB which I always take with me when I drive somewhere.
So, logistically, how would that work taking the last few dozen scenarios we've seen unfold. The driver rounds a corner or comes over a hill crest to see a wall of angry mobsters blocking the road.

If you abandoned the vehicle, you've just armed them with a nice Bug out bag and gun. If you stop and get the rifle from the passenger area, aren't you "escalating?" Or compromising yourself at least to some degree... Or is the plan to stop, jump ship, grab the bag and rifle, and flee on food and abandon the car???

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I supplement my primary protection with a can of bear spray. One of my friends (a tiny Chinese lady) wanted a gun when the riots started. I bought her a can of bear spray instead. I told her not to spray it inside and don't use it unless she had to.

I talked to her that night. She said she threw up her dinner. I asked if she got into the bear spray. She said "I was curious. I don't need a gun now.".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Flare gun, had a fella who traveled through Canada to Alaska and he always had one. Last thing I'd want to be shot with and I always joked about setting bears on fire...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I carry a S&W M&P Compact in .357 Sig so I only have 10 tries, 11 if I carry hot, I carry 1 extra mag in each vehicle I drive, I recently tossed a couple extra mags in each vehicle and some extra ammo as well.
So far we don't have very many issues with crowds and for the most part I wouldn't go where there would be a gathering on the street.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Just my carry gun , knife and someTimes a second pistol in a safe in the back of my van.

I’ve considered getting an ar pistol or PCC for the back of the van or when traveling.

Most situations I’m likely to face can be handled with a 9mm.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
I avoid risky areas, if it doesn't feel right, I turn around. But I have kept a shotgun and handgun in the truck for years.
I was out with my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and we rolled up on a BLM protest, I think it was around 30 white kid wannabes but I was surprised I almost ran right into it. They were on the sidewalk and cops were present. We rolled right past.

Generally the shotgun stays in the trunk until dark, but it has moved to the back floor and I can reach it easier. I have a tactical hatchet on the front passenger floor, I carry a G43 on my left ankle, my girlfriend has a G48 in a CC pocketbook.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
So, logistically, how would that work taking the last few dozen scenarios we've seen unfold. The driver rounds a corner or comes over a hill crest to see a wall of angry mobsters blocking the road.

If you abandoned the vehicle, you've just armed them with a nice Bug out bag and gun. If you stop and get the rifle from the passenger area, aren't you "escalating?" Or compromising yourself at least to some degree... Or is the plan to stop, jump ship, grab the bag and rifle, and flee on food and abandon the car???
I'd never abandon the car unless it was on fire, I'd think more of moving forward with my hand on the horn and go through the crowd, likely they will move. Better to be on the 11 o'clock news alive than dead.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts