Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ran across a blog post titled “The Kind of Men Who Carry a Pocket Knife,” which talked about the benefits of toting a knife at all times. And perhaps I’m showing my age here, but to me that is something any man should do at all times. I do realize that’s not the[.....]

The post Do You Carry a Pocket Knife? appeared first on AllOutdoor.com.

Read the full article here...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just about every day since I had a pants pocket to put one in. Well --- maybe dad didn't give me one before I was old enough to remember. No rules about knives in school back then. If a male teacher had trouble opening a package open and didn't get his own knife out fast enough, several of his boys would have theirs out to offer.

My taste in them changed a few years ago. Instead of the little multi blade knives I used to carry, I like a very flat, light, single blade about 3" long now.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,519 Posts
Just about every day since I had a pants pocket to put one in. Well --- maybe dad didn't give me one before I was old enough to remember. No rules about knives in school back then. If a male teacher had trouble opening a package open and didn't get his own knife out fast enough, several of his boys would have theirs out to offer.

My taste in them changed a few years ago. Instead of the little multi blade knives I used to carry, I like a very flat, light, single blade about 3" long now.
I've always carried them as well, from a very young age. Was never a big fan of slip joints or small multi blades, though I try to be equal opportunity. Mostly it's medium sized single blade lock blades. Or occasionally smallish fixed blades. No hard and fast rules, though it needs to be big enough to be useful, and resistant to closing on my fingers.

I can't remember a time in the last decade where I've gone somewhere without a knife. Feels very strange.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
I have carried a pocket knife since second grade. Right now I have a Old Timer three blade in a sheath on my belt, a Leatherman Wave with a knife in it and a combination mini torch/bottle opener/corkscrew with a small blade also.

·
Hunter/Survivor
1,030 Posts
Thats the great thing about Blue jeans and coin pockets, they are really for folding knives which get used a few times a day. I hate it when I lose them though...

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
Thats the great thing about Blue jeans and coin pockets, they are really for folding knives which get used a few times a day. I hate it when I lose them though...
Quit putting them in that too small coin pocket, which is actually a watch pocket, and almost useless as anything else, and you'll quit losing them.:thumb:

Actually, I'd LIKE it if it were good for something other than a watch. Anyone got anything?:confused:

·
2,519 Posts
Quit putting them in that too small coin pocket, which is actually a watch pocket, and almost useless as anything else, and you'll quit losing them.:thumb:

Actually, I'd LIKE it if it were good for something other than a watch. Anyone got anything?:confused:
Yes. Perfect for a Zippo style lighter, plus a couple small additions. Right now mine contains a Star lighter, a loratadyne tablet just in case an allergy acts up, and a somewhat mangled birthday candle.

Have also used the watch pocket to carry a watch, or earplug case, plus an extra AAA battery, and/or peanut lighter.

·
2,519 Posts
The watch pocket is also good for a little extra ammo. I used to carry some extra .22 shells in the small air rifle pellet tins, or probably 5 or 6 .44 mag, or .45 Colt would probably fit loose in there.

·
Texas chooses people.
2,376 Posts
I prefer the fixed blades although I keep a small but stong pen knife in the pocket if there is a risk of breaking a blade (or to loan out to people that ask to borrow my knife).
I have a pretty Old Timer (street legal but carries an excellent edge) that I use for town trips. A Gold Spike that has a place in the truck (for that just in case event) and goes on the belt when I am out in the country. We now live in an age where cops tend to get nervous when they see a decent hunting knife resting on your hip.
But leave home without a knife of some type? No. I would feel nekid.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

Many brands of carpenter pants make the watch pocket useful. I've never lost a pocket knife or a Kahr CW45 out of mine. K frame 3" barrel will fit into some with the trigger guard fully in the pocket. J frames should fit easily.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
From grade school through the Army and university I carried a 2 or 3 blade jack knife. As I recall the largest blade was the only one I ever used. Now EDC is the little Swiss Army knife with the scissors, file, toothpick and tweezers (all of which prove useful). But if I think I will need a real knife my thin Silver Falcon folder with 3½" blade goes in my pocket.

I used to carry the Silver Falcon in my briefcase but almost lost it in Denver. I was awaiting a flight to California and walked up front for a look around not realizing it wasn't the same airport as when I lived in Aurora. When I realized my briefcase was going to be screened on my return to the gate I carefully placed the thin folder so its spine would be seen amongst some pens and pencils and made it through OK.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I have two that I carry. I carry a cheap folding 4" to cut twine on hay bales. I carry and use it when I feed twice a day. If I "dress up" I switch to a 2.5" three blade buck knife. Knifes are tools. I would feel naked without my knife. When hunting, I carry a hunting knife in my pack, I also carry my pocket knife. I also carry a disposable scalpel and/or a carpet knife with spare blades in the handle. I prefer them for skinning.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Been carrying a pocket knife since I was 10 years old. The only time when I'm not is when I have to fly someplace.
That or when I have to go into a government building! I had to go out to the car and drop my "weapons" before I could go into the Social Security office.

Even the doctor's office has a sign stating "No weapons allowed" although I have never been checked by the security guard and sometimes I do forget.:eek::

1 - 20 of 24 Posts