Survivalist Forum banner

Do you believe prayer works?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, I was reading this story today and couldn't help but wonder how many people out there *seriously* believe prayer works?

By seriously I mean you will leave a major life changing event to the tender mercies of your god and do nothing but pray for a solution. I'm going to split up the "Yes I believe" into several parts so I can get a better idea what people who say yes mean.

·
Grey Ghost, Spirit of '76
161 Posts
My Mom always referred to herself as a "Prayer Warrior". She always prayed for the people that she loved or felt needed help. Ironically, whenever she prayed for herself it never came to pass. Her prayers helped so many people that it is difficult to recount even a fraction of them. She always said that a prayer without faith was the same as an empty wish and nothing more. She passed away in 2007 at the age of 65 and battled cancer for over 34 years. Her prayers affected so many people that the ones she prayer for in high school came to her funeral and she hadn't kept in touch with one of them for over 40 years!

Prayers work but faith must come first!

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
I did that stuff when I was a kid, I also was forced to believe I had an imaginary friend, most refer to this guy as god, since then I have grown up and my imaginary friend is all but GONE. I find it funny how most adults have not grown up yet.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should post an excerpt from that article, suffice to say the pilot's prayers were not answered:

"Prosecutors say that after both the plane's engines cut out, the pilot succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures and then opting to crash-land in the Mediterranean instead of trying to reach the nearest airport. "​

·
The Whole Armor of YAH
311 Posts
God has answered my prayers over and over. A preacher came to my church and prayed for my back pain which I had for 2 years. He said it was a bone spur on my spine , after that night the pain was gone. I pray for things that I want and need and God always supplies my needs and usually my wants. The Lord Jesus said in His word that He would supply all of my needs through His riches and glory in Christ Jesus. I can pray about a situation and he turns it around for my good. The engine in our car went out. I prayed about a vehicle . We ended up getting a good running isuzu trooper 4x4 for $500 . I wanted to make my yard look nice but I don't work(for money) so I didn't want to spend money on it.I have been given all kinds of plants and bushes for free. I just had to dig them up. I could go on and on. If you want the blessings of God that maketh rich , it starts with believing on Jesus as your savior and repenting of your sins.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Yes - I can prove it scientifically

For one thing it make's one focus on their life, unlike any to do list you can make.

First ask Jesus into your life, to think with you, and to walk with you. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the meaning of God's words and read the Bible, especially the Gospel. Develop a personal relationship with God. Just as you would with a new friend. Learn as much about as you can.

God has blessed people with different talents and has a plan for each person. A talent can be as simple as breathing, talking, living, 10 fingers and 10 toes, or being born in the 20 century. It can be much much more.

With much power comes great responsibility. (Spiderman) haha

Most people, including me, are chicken to follow through.

Part of his plan for you is as simple as spreading his words and lifting the people up around you. A person may doing what he things is his destiny, but if you allow God to guide you to and through your plans you can do things you never thought were possible. It is exponential. You need to ask God for Faith, Wisdom, and Strength to follow through with your decisions. Wisdom, faith, and strength to know when to change, when to stick, make minor adjustments, or plow on through.

That is why some prayers are unanswered and some are. God has a plan for you. His answers are guiding you.

It's tough because once you stick your head above the crowd, you become a target. The devil comes at you much harder. (Fallen Hero)

The very moment I asked Jesus into my life and to stop my back from hurting, it quit hurting. I have 2 back surgeries. I believe he guided me to ways to almost completely eliminate my back pain.

There have many studies that show people of strong faith heal quicker, are more content, and live a fuller life. Use Google.

Seek and you shall find. People that aren't looking will never find it, peace.

God Bless

·
Registered
946 Posts
I can't vote because my vote would be misleading. As in it would signify a belief in a god listening and taking action. I do however believe in mind over matter or maybe I should say peoples attitudes having an effect on their lives.

Kind of like praying but not...

Karma?

Be good. A deep unselfish belief or attitude increases the chance of others around you or life in general returning the positive attitude. Not a given thing that it will happen, just a little nudge for it.

A lot of people pray for things every day. Then one day the get what they prayed for and say it's proof of god answering prayers ignoring the hundreds or thousands of other prayers that were "unanswered". Ya know statistically... :p

There have many studies that show people of strong faith heal quicker, are more content, and live a fuller life. Use Google.
^ But that isn't just about having faith in a god. It's the basic attitude they approach life and others with it... People who have made a real effort on their own can also lead great, happy and content lives with many such good returns coming back their way. Ever notice how many god fairing folk who pray a lot still lead such crap, unhappy lives? Love thyself... or if you can't, act in a way that will allow you too.

·
Dr.Martens2Dr.Scholls!
184 Posts
And I find it funny how some adults still resort to degrading others.

But this thread isn't really about who believes in prayers and if they work is it? Looks more like a trolling thread then anything, especially by some of the answers given.

SOLIDUS
SOLIDUS-How have you been? I've been away for some time. Spam:)

·
One day at a time.
227 Posts
I know prayer works. Sometimes people think their prayers don't get answered, when really, it just not the answer they were looking for. God hears all of our prayers. Yes there are times when it seems unfair, the situations we face in life, but God knows what we need and our hearts desires. He doesn't always give them to us, and thats for the best.
Kinda like rich parents giving a young child everything, without having to work for it. Mostly they turn out BRATS! God often allows us certain experiences in order to show or teach us. Tough love is still love, I think this is hard for many people to accept.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
I might wonder what people are praying for since there seems to be people who feel prayer/God has let them down but it's none of my business so I'll leave that alone. If you are praying to win the lottery, for a certain guy/girl to love you, for the perfect job - you are most likely wasting your and God's time. If you are praying for wisdom, peace, healing, financial success and even for the right guy/girl and you are doing it with a thankful heart and in faith, God most assuredly hears your prayer. He may not always agree what you are asking for is in your best interest but He hears just the same. Mostly what I pray for is God's Will in my life and that I not fail in my mission. I've heard people go on and on with prayer, maybe 15 or more minutes and not one second of thanks. God will not give you added blessings until you appreciate the ones you already have. Before someone says .... ah, your God is looking for kudo's and thanks. God needs nothing from me. It is about me being thankful. It is about me acknowledging that I am blessed. It is about my frame of mind and how I chose to live and be. If you had an employee, would you give that person more responsibility before you know if they can handle it? Same with God. God will not give you a blessing you can not yet deal with. Likewise, I have heard people say they had to let a knowledgeable employee go because of their attitude.

For me, prayer is talking to God. Sharing my hopes, fears, plans and dreams. It is asking for protection for my children, thanking God for my husband, children, parents, sibs and neighbors. I have thanked God for people on this list. Prayer keeps my mind straight, provides me with calmness and peace. Prayer keeps me connected to my faith, reminds me to set aside quiet time with God and without prayer I have NO doubt my life would be chaotic, less joyful and ultimately hopeless.

I very much am a grown up and mature. I have grown up in my faith and matured in my belief. So, I can vote that I have seen it myself. I've seen it in my life. I have also seen rebelliousness when I fought God and suffered the consequences. In my way of thinking - I am proof that prayer works. I need no other proof.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I find it funny how some adults still resort to degrading others.

But this thread isn't really about who believes in prayers and if they work is it? Looks more like a trolling thread then anything, especially by some of the answers given.

SOLIDUS
You mean like calling atheist trolls?

So because the first three posters don't believe in religion that makes my question invalid?

I went to sunday school and had the misfortune of being a naturally curious person, so when they would teach us something, I would ask how it works. For example: They tell us when you die, your soul survives death... so I was asking things like:

If you died when you were a baby, does your soul stay as a baby forever?
If you lost a limb and then later died, would your soul be missing a limb?
What if you're born retarded? Is the soul retarded too?

And the list went on and on, I wasn't trying to be annoying but was genuinely curious, and it got the other kids curious too. Well it wasn't long before they decided I was being subversive and kicked me out of sunday school.

So it kind of reminded me of that when you suggest that I'm not being honest about this poll, I'm genuinely curious what people who believe in prayer base it on. And that's why I have three items for a yes answer and only one for the no answer.

Just because my answer is no doesn't mean I have nothing to learn from the yes answers.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe its important to have faith, often enough faith will determine ones fate.
The funny thing is, I sort of agree with this. I'm a big fan of the show Red Dwarf. And back in the 90s when my career was just starting, I would often watch the show after a job interview to sort of wind down from the stress.

Invariably I'd get a call congratulating me on getting the job while I was watching the show. This led me to associate watching the show to getting the job.

I started being more aggressive in the positions I sought out, going for positions with a min 40% pay increase and a signing bonus. And I'd go in for the interviews, confident and knowledgable as I am. Then I'd go home and watch Red Dwarf... sure enough I got the job! :thumb:

Now, on some level, I know there's nothing magical about watching a TV show that is convincing these people to give me the job, but allowing myself to believe there is gives me an extra boost of confidence that plays well during the interview, and I do think it is possible that this confidence contributes to my ability to interview well.

So, that all said, I don't even own a VCR anymore so I'm no longer watching Red Dwarf after job interviews, but by now it doesn't matter, I've built up such an incredible resume, job interviews are merely a formality at this point and I'm happy to report that my current job is the highest paying job I've ever had, and I didn't even have to watch Red Dwarf after the interview. :cool:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts