Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Stubborn Survivor
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a partial box of N95 single use masks for working on my army Jeep. I have already set a few aside but do I donate the rest to EMS? We work from home and at this point are ordering online for the foreseeable future. Is any one here helping their local EMS?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a partial box of N95 single use masks for working on my army Jeep. I have already set a few aside but do I donate the rest to EMS? We work from home and at this point are ordering online for the foreseeable future. Is any one here helping their local EMS?

Like a box of 10? So there’s a few left ? Hang on to em. I don’t think anyone is out of supplies yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
See your local vol FD/EMS. Dang few are prepared for this. The paid/"pros" should have known better.

·
Psalm 37:28
850 Posts
My local hospital's staff are already soliciting N95 donations from friends. Each nurse was issued ONE mask and then told there aren't any more. That was two days ago.

I feel bad for the nurse I know who told me this, and I'm ticked at the hospital system for not seeing the writing on the wall two months ago.

If you know a high-risk medical professional, donate a few if they need 'em and you can spare a few. JMO.

Me, I have P100s and half-face respirators, so I have nothing they need. I suggested she buy this (still available on Amazon because N95s got all the hype), but the hospital has forbidden them due to decon concerns.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Like a box of 10? So there’s a few left ? Hang on to em. I don’t think anyone is out of supplies yet.
Fire/EMS doesn't have nearly what it needs. If someone just has a handful of them from an open box, they're probably better off hanging on t them just because of what if. But, if - for example - a woodworker or woodshop and a bunch of boxes and doesn't really need them all for medical, it would be nice to hand some off to a fire or ems service.

Note that when I say fire/ems doesn't have what it needs, I'm sure that varies. I know where I am we don't have enough for what MIGHT be coming; at least not on the fire/rescue side.

·
The Black Death
228 Posts
If you have 300+ N-95 masks, yes, I would donate 100. But if you have less than 100, I would not donate any right now. This could drag on for more than a year, and I do not know what supplies and availability are going to look like.

I also questioned donating some of my masks, but, the simple fact is, I need to be able to go out and buy food when we run out. We have supplies, but the fresh foods like milk and bread...I may have to go out every two weeks.

I'm looking at freezing fresh bread. Might try freezing milk too, but not sure if that will work.

·
Stubborn Survivor
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have 300+ N-95 masks, yes, I would donate 100. But if you have less than 100, I would not donate any right now. This could drag on for more than a year, and I do not know what supplies and availability are going to look like.

I also questioned donating some of my masks, but, the simple fact is, I need to be able to go out and buy food when we run out. We have supplies, but the fresh foods like milk and bread...I may have to go out every two weeks.

I'm looking at freezing fresh bread. Might try freezing milk too, but not sure if that will work.
Thank you for the critical thoughts. Regarding the milk, my wife swears by frozen milk though I have not tried it myself. We do have two gallons in the freezer at the moment.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
There is always powdered milk.
I have been freezing milk as there are only 2 of us. I buy a gal and fill quart jars about 1-2 inches from top with plastic wrap then put lid on it. Works fine. Takes a while to thaw so can run jar not top under warm water to use. Or put in frig but takes 2 days to thaw. Been doing this for years. Hate to throw it out. If y0u want to freeze a gal take couple inches out before you freeze for expansion.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Instead of EMS you could find a retirement/nursing home and ask if they could use the masks, like others have said there may be rules about donating open boxes to EMS.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
At lot of us (medical people) are out. We are making our own at this point from bedsheets in some places. Nobody cares about opened boxes. The world has changed.

My entire department, serving 600 people....has 21 n95s total in inventory, I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

Donate if you want. Thats up to you. But I'm sure they are needed somewhere if you are willing.

I have 4 (four) for myself. But I also have a pair of full face respirators so I can skip the n95s, and in a few days, should have a pair of PAPR respirators and hoods.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I may donate to the hospital when things get worse here.
I am a little soured on giving any away at the moment.
A couple weeks ago we were unable to convince the in-laws to cancel a planned trip. This was when it was getting obvious that airline restrictions were coming. They insisted on going and the whole family was worried.
So I made them each a self-contained little kit with a few N95's, small bottle of hand sanitizer, Lysol wipe packet, etc.
They should not have been able to make their connecting flight to their destination because flights were getting shut down. However, a flight was sent because there was a VIP who had to get there, who just happened to have just gotten out of quarantine in Washington state. They got on that last leg flight with the VIP.
We weren't sure they would be able to get a return flight when it was time to get back, but they did. They sent a family group chat letting us know their itinerary. I messaged them to make sure they wore their masks and glasses and kept their hands clean during the airport and flight parts of the trip.
The reply from F-I-L was..."Why?". I said, well, there's a bit of a situation going on, which we knew about and is why I sent you with the stuff. He was all like, oh we don't need to do that. We'll be fine. It's all overblown, etc.
****ed me off. People making stupid decisions like this is why this thing is spreading. They are in their 70's, he is a smoker and has a history of heart attacks. Maybe they won't get sick, but they refuse to understand that they can still carry it to other people. Equally as bad, when they get back they'll expect that their kids, grandkids and great grandkids come and visit them. We will not be participating and will wait for at least a month to be sure.
I could have given those masks to someone who's using common sense and could use them to feel more safe when they have to make a grocery or medical run at some point.
I'm done venting now! Maybe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I honestly don't know if they will even accept an open box, unless they are individually wrapped. For medical uses they can be really strict about those sort of things. Personally, I would call their non-emergency number and ask them. Things can also be very different depending on where you live.
For pros, covered by OSHA, it would be illegal to start using a new respirator when one is required. If you were fit tested with a large 3M 9999, you can’t wear a 9998 without a new fit test. Hospital are dealing with this fairly easially, but EMS is much harder.

You can of course optionally use any respirator you want if one isn’t required.

In an emergency, OSHA can be ignored, but it won’t look good later in a lawsuit. And of course anything can be used on a patient ( as long as no exhale valve). Not sure if this is common, I imagine at a minimum most patients are on a nasal cannula. We had (have) approval to reduce ventilation standards in a pandemic to reduce contamination. But the expectation was we would be transporting patients w/o O2sat issues.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Whats a good N95 mask for nurses or doctors, exhale valve or non? I'm going to donate a few to some relatives who are in the medical field.
Exhale valve will make the biggest difference in comfort with longer term use, or during exertion- which reduces demasking. Every scientific article mentions keeping the mast dry or well ventilated, the exhale valves helps with that.

Having said that all of the molded ( not folding) masks rated by NIOSH are probably close to equal. I find the ones with a face seal and nose clip are more likely to pass a fit test/ less likely to show signs of leakage. Women seem less happy with the face seal. 3M, Moldex, and Gerrson are all good brands. Remember they come sizes, large is the most common.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
That would be a no from me.

Partially because I live in a slightly metropolitan area where first responder government institutions rake in millions upon millions of dollars of tax money and medical businesses (many being bought up or bought out by the Cleveland Clinic) make billions.

Sorry you didn't have the foresight guys.

That being said, in a time like this I am more apt to donate to people instead on institutions. Like those suckers who donate to red cross only having the blood donations spoil and tonnage of medical and general supplies either being hoarded in warehouses, dumped, stolen or completely undistributed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Exhale valve will make the biggest difference in comfort with longer term use, or during exertion- which reduces demasking. Every scientific article mentions keeping the mast dry or well ventilated, the exhale valves helps with that.
I just dropped off a box of 20 N95 with the valve to my hospital nurse relative. They have a nurse where she works that was quarantined due to exposure and that nurse went on tv describing the shortage. I have some woodworking face shield, splash goggles and shooting glasses. I'll see if she can use any of those.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have facebook friends who are sewing cloth masks to donate to hospitals. The nurses are asking for them now. They are caring for COVID-19 patients without proper protection. Maybe they have filters they are planning to use with these, I honestly don't know, but at least 4 or my friends are sewing cloth masks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts