Survivalist Forum banner

Has anybody in a forum ever changed your mind about your beliefs/disbeliefs?

• Yes! I have converted religions, dropped my faith, or gained a faith.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes, I have changed significant aspects of my beliefs/disbeliefs.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Sort of. I have changed in minor ways.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Not really. If so, they were insignificant or not memorable.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No! Nothing anyone could say on an online forum could ever change my beliefs/disbeliefs.

Votes: 13 37.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I don't know if its possible or will happen.
I know that if I read something that I struggle with, I can pray about it.

The way I see it, conversion is not my job. The only true conversion will come from God himself - I can be a good example and share my experiences, but ultimately - acceptance of God can only be accomplished with a person looking and God answering.

Not from someones mouth.

When you are looking for truth, and you hear it - you'll know it.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
The only positive thing it's good for is hearing different interpretations or insights on less-popular topics. So yeah, you could gain a certain amount of information or opinions to broaden your horizons, but that's about it.

As to major faith-changing stuff... I seriously doubt a person can be persuaded to take up a faith on a message board because there's too many hateful over-zealous people who make their faith look bad. Even if it's possible, it's not real... most rational people aren't drawn to a faith due to how somebody acts on a board, and even if they are, that other person is probably different in real life.

That being said... I have no doubts that it can cause people to stray away from a faith or even lose it completely.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Good statement Corndoggy.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the most over zealous, condemning people act in real life. I would like to think they are not God Warrior incarnate.

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
I would say I have learned some things from a few people around here. I am truly
amazed with the very intelligent people we have that come here and share what
they know about the bible and life in general.

They all come from different backgrounds and beliefs but some of the few that have effected me in positive ways are people like, scipio, MikeK, Smudge, Bikerdruid, Corndoggy, MotherEarth, Firebird, and our newest one Goodolfroathyone.

When the above people speak, I listen! Each of them offer a unique view point that I have learned to respect.

Sometimes you can read a post and it's obvious someone has some ax to grid and you just blow it off and move on...then there's the ones that catch everyones eye because they have the E.F. Hutton effect, (when they talk, everyone listens) the people in my list have that effect.

WTBY...Very good question btw!

·
I live this form
12,202 Posts
Just as youtube convinced me that 9/11 WAS an inside job, teh internets message boards made me an atheist. :thumb:

It is great to hear other points of view, though. Good ideas and even the occasional good argument is provided. In these cases, it just increases my area of research.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Excellent poll WTBY!

As a result of frequenting these pages for one year I have:

1) Thought much better of many types of people.

2) Thought worse than before about some people.

3) Learn untold tomes worth of useful material.

4) Become friends and acquaintances with so many good people (giving me more hope about this country and the world).

5) Chosen not to associate with some very ignorant, hateful and troubled people.

6) Started praying much more often than before for those people cited in # 5.

936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The distribution of votes is pretty much to be expected. But I'd like to know, who was it that changed their religion as result of online discussion boards?

·
V
21,713 Posts
I would say I have learned some things from a few people around here. I am truly
amazed with the very intelligent people we have that come here and share what
they know about the bible and life in general.

They all come from different backgrounds and beliefs but some of the few that have effected me in positive ways are people like, scipio, MikeK, Smudge, Bikerdruid, Corndoggy, MotherEarth, Firebird, and our newest one Goodolfroathyone.

When the above people speak, I listen! Each of them offer a unique view point that I have learned to respect.

Sometimes you can read a post and it's obvious someone has some ax to grid and you just blow it off and move on...then there's the ones that catch everyones eye because they have the E.F. Hutton effect, (when they talk, everyone listens) the people in my list have that effect.

WTBY...Very good question btw!
:eek:: Thanks BUT I'm not talking to you............... my wife was browsing the boards............ nice firplace...................:(

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
:eek:: Thanks BUT I'm not talking to you............... my wife was browsing the boards............ nice firplace...................:(
LOL....I would LOVE to come to England and build one for the two of you!!!

If only I could...I will some day, I want to see London and the white cliffs of dover. My mothers family came from Hedgecorn, England...I have no idea
where that's is but I'd like to see it!!

btw..I'm building a large High-Boy dresser with queen ann leggs...lot's of fun!
I'll post a picture of that when I'm finished

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
So much of what people say on line has to be taken with a grain of salt. I doubt much could change what I believe. It may point me in a direction, but not change my basic beliefs.

Ohioman,

Is that Queene Anne cherry wood?

I'm working on an oak Mission Style dresser, nightstands are done.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I have to say that altough I have not changed my faith at all, I have changed the way that I look and feel about certain subjects. Sometimes bickering is good when it forces us to look at a situation from anothers perspective and then sometimes bickering is not good like when it seems someone is trying to force their beliefs on another. In the end there will be those who will never change (which is a shame) and ther will be those who will always change (again a shame) but for most of us I believe we hold fast enough to our beliefs while just being flexible enough to hear and possible recognize the justness in someone elses viewpoint.

·
V
21,713 Posts
The distribution of votes is pretty much to be expected. But I'd like to know, who was it that changed their religion as result of online discussion boards?
If anyone actually changed religion due to an internet forum, they never had any real belief in the first place and probably still wont have in thier new faith, unless its a complete loss of faith and they become atheist.

As a Heathen (I dont believe in Jesus, the Bible is a book to me and Yaweh just another God my opinion only) Ive grown to appreciate some parts of Christianity and not to automatically dismiss it because they have a few knobheads in thier ranks.

Ive learned to distinguish between Christian someone who trys to actually follow the lessons in the Bible and to better themselves and christian someone who uses there faith as an excuse to look down upon others and use it to justify their petty gripes with the world.

Ive learned a little more about athiest's many of whom as as over zealous as some of the evangelical Christians Ive come across, which from where I'm sitting it pretty bloody funny, people pushing unproven theory as fact instead of just being happy with self.

Ive learned Islam should be eradicated for the well being of the human race (my opinion only)

Ive learned alot since being here but nothing to make me change my beliefs, I was in sort of a wierd place when I started visiting this section of the boards now I'm happy and content and Ive found something I believe in makes me a better person allows me to except others nothing any heathen posted here helped me find this place I'm in either.

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
So much of what people say on line has to be taken with a grain of salt. I doubt much could change what I believe. It may point me in a direction, but not change my basic beliefs.

Ohioman,

Is that Queene Anne cherry wood?

I'm working on an oak Mission Style dresser, nightstands are done.
YES it is, this is only the 3rd time I have worked with good quality cheery wood. I built my dauhter a mission style sofa table and a matching coffee table...it's been over a year and they still don't have that deep, warm cherry look yet.

I did a small desk for my son, I built it from curly maple with walnit trim
(hope you can see the picture) I don't know if you have made those queen ann leggs...but I just mastered that this past year (kinda mastered ..lol)
but they are fun.

here's the desk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts