Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain in 300 PRC on the way to my LGS. Now I need glass. Budget is $1000, but I doubt I spend that much. I will mainly hunt on my Appalachian property where shots won't likely ever exceed 250 yards. However, I do plan to punch holes in paper with it out to about 800-1000. So probably 60/40 actual hunting to target shooting. This means the scope needs to lean towards hunting, but have some long distance capability. I don't want some unwieldy thing that looks like I've mounted the Hubble telescope on my rig.

I do have a couple of trips planned in the coming years with an old buddy. I just turned 50, and so did he, and we said we'd get the following hunts done before 60.... One to Colorado/Wyoming for elk and one to Maine for moose. Perhaps an Alaskan hunt if budget permits. So those "lifetime" type hunts could result in some longer shots.

With these facts in mind, I'm thinking as far as magnification, 4-16 is probably about right. First focal plane. MOA, as I'm now officially too old to start all over and learn MRAD, so I'm sticking with what I know.

I'm currently leaning towards the Vortex Diamondback 4x16X44 FFP. $400ish bucks and great reviews, and appears to be able to split the difference for what I plan to do with the rifle (hunting vs target). I've been a dedicated Leupold guy in the past, with a couple of Zeiss's thrown in, but that Vortex looks to be a lot of scope for the money, with the right features (minus a true return to zero feature, which I'd like, but to get what I want plus that feature costs about double).

I am aware that buying any one item (truck, rifle, you name it) to "do it all" entails compromise compared to something dedicated to a singular purpose. A truck used to go off road and to tow won't off road as well as a dedicated trail rig and won't tow as well as a dualie with a gooseneck. Just wanted to say I already get that part before somebody chimes in with that angle.

So what say ye, SB? Talk me into something different, or congratulate me on my wise selection? Or tell me I'm too dumb to even own a rifle because I didn't buy a rifle like their model ABCXYZ chambered in .475 thunderfu*ker?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked and thought hard about the 5x25 with the bigger objective lens. I talked myself out of it thinking it would be too big, bulky, and heavy for dragging around the Appalachia forests let alone lugging it up a mountain in Colorado.

However, good points are made about both low light and wishing for more scope on a long elk of a lifetime shot. Something I should probably consider some more.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had Lasik 4 years ago. Need reading glasses to figure my checkbook, but still have 20/20 distance vision. I’m sure that too will change in a few more years, but for now it’s hanging in there.
As I read these posts, I think that in the trade off of compromises, I’ll probably prefer the smaller size and weight of the 4x16. I will target shoot fairly often, but nearby the most I will get is 600. To travel to where I can go out to 1000 will likely be only once or twice a year. On those trips, I suspect I will be wishing for the 5x25, but in the woods in fall I think I’ll be glad I have the smaller one.
This will be my first FFP scope. I like the idea that the center of the crosshairs is still the same no matter where I set the magnification, but the reviews warn if the reticle being kind of difficult to see at 4, and overly thick at 16. People will gripe about anything, but that is the lone concern I have at this point.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found the Vortex 4x16 for $349 on Amazon. That sealed the deal. If it's half the scope all the various reviews from different sources say it is, that will be quite a steal at that price. They also had the Vortex 5x25 for $425. I thought about buying them both and would still be well under my $1k budget with money left over to buy decent rings. But I didn't, because....

With the cost of 300 PRC ammo, it's probably a good thing I'm coming in well under budget. Not quite as bad as Weatherby or RUM ammo, but pricey. I am ordering some 212 grain ELD-X and some of the 190 grain Outfitter rounds with the CX mono metal bullets. The only others available right now for 300 PRC are a new 210 grain Federal with the Terminal Ascent bullet, and the 225 grain match bullets (which I wouldn't use to hunt a live critter, and the only matches I compete in right now are USPSA pistol matches). However, more and more companies have 300 PRC offerings on the way.

I also will need new 300 PRC dies and magnum primers. And a new sling.... and maybe a quick detach bipod... and at some point a better spotting scope.... and..... and......

This is gonna be fun. I haven't been this excited about a new gun purchase in years.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
I would not buy optics off of Amazon. Amazon is well known to have fakes everywhere. I would buy from a reputable source such as Euro Optics or Primary Arms even if it cost a little more.

I have this one Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP Rifle Scope - EBR-7C MOA but in 5-25 and MRAD. It has been great.

If you can still find the Nikon Black 1000, they are a good get as well for around $700.

· Premium Member
12 Posts
I have a Primary Arms 3-18X ACSS DMR HUD on my Remington 700 and one of my AR-10s. This model has been discontinued and here is an equivalent: Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-HUD-DMR-308/.223

I have target shot both the 700 and AR-10 to 884 yards with repeatable success.

The ACSS BDC is one of my favorites and is great for ranging targets as well.

These are below your originally stated budget. GL in the search!

· Registered
522 Posts
Found the Vortex 4x16 for $349 on Amazon. That sealed the deal. If it's half the scope all the various reviews from different sources say it is, that will be quite a steal at that price. They also had the Vortex 5x25 for $425. I thought about buying them both and would still be well under my $1k budget with money left over to buy decent rings.

This is gonna be fun. I haven't been this excited about a new gun purchase in years.
I suspect you will be greatly pleased with your decision/choice.

If not...Amazon has free returns and get the other one...
I personally prefer the largest objective I can get. A 56mm over a 44mm would be significant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts