Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about the next gun I want to buy and I am leaning towards an AK-47. I had limited training with one in the Army. 7.62x39 is relatively cheap still. My big question is do I really need to add an AK to my collection? I already have 2 AR-15s, 2 9mm, a couple shotguns (12 & 20 gauges). My kids and I love to shoot and hit the range at least once a month for a few hours. So here is deal, I need y'all to either convince me I should add one or talk me out of it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have 10 rifles. Only 1 is a semi auto. I don't really like all the moving parts.......

The recoil is less but they tend to require more cleaning and maintenance than leverguns and bolts..........if you want to spray lead then semis are nice......

But I still don't have to like them. So no, you don't need another for hunting or just range shooting. ......

I hope that helps

·
Have gun will travel
796 Posts
I think the real question should be do you want one?
In my very humble opinion, if you want one,get one.Or two since "two is one and one is none". I enjoy mine as a fun gun...BUT...know if I need to put it into action,it is a formidable weapon.
I'm a junkie when it come to "machinery"...always have been.My philosophy is "if it itches,scratch it" SOOO...if it isn't going to burden you to purchase it,along with mags,ammo,etc. GO FOR IT!:thumb:

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,125 Posts
Yes. It's a premier platform. One of the best designs ever. They are $600. Ammo and mags are still relatively affordable too. You are a free American with a very unique right.

They are subject to being banned almost daily by anti-gun zealots. Some day in the future they could be unavailable for many reasons for legal and supply and demand purposes. The prices won't go any lower than now.

What is the argument against getting one, exactly?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have a Saiga 223.

It's my "use up that cheap ammo the AR's don't like" gun.

See! Important reason to buy one. Heck might just need two!

Lol- but in all seriousness, buy a good one. Keep it forever. As stated, I doubt in the future they will be available as they are now. Not bad rifles, just get one if you can swing it.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
I've been thinking about the next gun I want to buy and I am leaning towards an AK-47. I had limited training with one in the Army. 7.62x39 is relatively cheap still. My big question is do I really need to add an AK to my collection? I already have 2 AR-15s, 2 9mm, a couple shotguns (12 & 20 gauges). My kids and I love to shoot and hit the range at least once a month for a few hours. So here is deal, I need y'all to either convince me I should add one or talk me out of it. Thanks in advance.
Everyone needs an AK, as for a reason? Is they are tons of fun enough? You should get one while they are still affordable.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,125 Posts
Look into the Vz58 its a worthy competitor
Yeah, at twice the price with rare magazines. Good grief.

Last I looked (and I have 3 of them) the VZ2008s or VZ58s are mostly sold out everywhere and if you can find them they are $1200. Mags are rare and expensive too.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Need? Probably not. The real question is do you want one. If yes then go ahead, even if you don't like it wait until election panic is in full swing and sell it for a profit.

·
Awesome
16,763 Posts
problem with VZ58s and what keeps me from them is that they are open top and like the SKS not the best rifle for putting any sort of optics on

if you get an AK, dont get an AK47 (milled), get an AKM (stamped), theyre nearly two pounds lighter and just as reliable... the aftermarket for AKs is pretty much exploding right now, even 5 years ago there werent nearly as many options for upgrades as there is now so customizing an AK to fit and feel the way you want it is pretty easy

__

upside to AKs is they are very reliable, very durable, easy to work on, many options not just in the aftermarket but different barrel and caliber configurations, different types of side and underfolding stocks if you dont want plain fixed, multiple barrel contours, and all around great rifles, they are also very simple, with no upper/lower receiver thats two less springs, detents, and pins.. being the dust cover and safety lever are one piece and do not need a detent to stay in position, thats many more parts eliminated from the count.. and with a fixed charging handle this also eliminates the seperate charging handle and the forward assist youd have on the AR

magazines in my opinion are of a better design, thick, fully curved, and the rock and lock method offers a more positive lockup (no need to tap to ensure its seated properly).. the mag release is also naturally ambidextrous, and the ammunition i would use is golden tiger 123 grain FMJBT, these bullets have a ballistic coefficient of about .310 (about equal to 62 grain 5.56) so they retain more energy down range and shoot flatter than typical x39 ammo, plus i get 2 MOA with golden tiger ammo and the bullets designed with a hollow nose cavity like 7N6 that crushes on impact causing an almost immediate yaw and tons of damage and i get it for about $0.23/rd (or $230 per 1000)

__

downside to getting one is it sounds like you have little experience with them so its going to take time to get used to, the charging handle wont be where you would expect it, theres no last round bolt hold open that youve become accustomed to and the dust cover and safety lever all all combined into one piece so its not going to be where youre used to having it, also no forward assist, iron sights are of a different type as well, so if you decide to get serious about them, plan to train and get used to the different configuration

the last downside on AKs is they are addictive, buy one AKM and you will probably want a milled 47, an AK74, krinkovs, veprs, tabuks, RPKs, paps, PSLs, those outfitted with traditional wood, some with modern synthetics, and before you know it you'll have a half dozen or two and still want more

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
At the present time, no you do not need one. Want is what to look at for now.
In the near future that may change. If you want one, get one. Practice with it and learn it.
When need comes along you will already be ahead.

·
Deplorable
4,356 Posts
I switched away from ARs and .223/5.56 a few years back due to $. My AKs are more cost effective to own, and I enjoy them immensely.

Anyone remember when Atlantic was blowing out VEPRs of all shapes and sizes for $499? :D:

·
Hating the new Amerika.
2,856 Posts
I have 10 rifles. Only 1 is a semi auto. I don't really like all the moving parts.......

The recoil is less but they tend to require more cleaning and maintenance than leverguns and bolts..........if you want to spray lead then semis are nice......

But I still don't have to like them. So no, you don't need another for hunting or just range shooting. ......

I hope that helps
Maybe, he does not want a rifle for hunting. Maybe, he lives too close for his comfort to a crime area (illegals crossing the border for example). His firearm could be intended for self defense. I would prefer a semi-automatic for that purpose especially if there is a chance you could encounter multiple people.

As long as you have enough ammo for all of your other guns and can get enough ammo for an AK 47, I say go for it.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

I hope that helps
Some lever guns have more moving parts than an AK I'd bet.

·
Vintage Prepper
274 Posts
My AKM is a Zastava NPAP. Its a good entry level AKM, and I have seen them as low as $550. Mine is solid and reliable, and I have probably 2000 rds through it without any hiccups. The Yugo/Serbian AKs are built up even more than a standard stamped AK, making them very robust. The only downside is that standard AK furniture and some parts will not fit, so you have to get Yugo variant parts which are becoming more available. Just make sure you thoroughly inspect the rifle before buying it to make sure the rivets are good and tight, and the sights are on and not canted.

I have also heard good tings about the newer WASR Romanian AKs.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts