Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
III
1,254 Posts
Depends on the State you live in as to having to register or have a permit. Some states you need only a purchase permit and background check.

·
Primeval Tendencies
83 Posts
You have to pass a background check and register when buying a new gun from a dealer, but you aren't required to register guns bought from an individual here.

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
In Texas we only have to register any firearm we purchase from a FFL holder or retail store accepting state sales tax.

No firearm has to be registered if purchased from an individual owner ie... Someone selling their firearms in the paper or craigslist or gun shows. Nobody has to know....Nobody that is why I tell everyone to buy pre-owned from individuals. Nobody knows what I have or don't have...and that is the way I like it.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Just curious if the Americans on this site even have to register a handgun (i.e. let the government know who owns it)? What about stubbies like this http://www.firearmscanada.com/ads/cobra/ ?
If a State requires registration for any handgun, then you would have to register the snub nose revolvers. If a state does not require any handguns to be registered, then you do not have to. Snub-nose revolvers don't generally have their own set of regulations.

Short barrel shotguns do though among a few others. And those are Federal requirements.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In Texas we only have to register any firearm we purchase from a FFL holder or retail store accepting state sales tax.

No firearm has to be registered if purchased from an individual owner ie... Someone selling their firearms in the paper or craigslist or gun shows. Nobody has to know....Nobody that is why I tell everyone to buy pre-owned from individuals. Nobody knows what I have or don't have...and that is the way I like it.
Actually, it isn't registration, even when buying from a dealer. The form 4473 is not registration. The form stays at the dealer, the only time the ATF gets the forms is if the dealer gives up his FFL.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Actually, it isn't registration, even when buying from a dealer. The form 4473 is not registration. The form stays at the dealer, the only time the ATF gets the forms is if the dealer gives up his FFL.
True, and those forms are supposed to be destroyed after a certain amount of time (don't remember just how long), but for anyone that believes that, I have some ocean front property in Nebraska that I will let go cheap. Also - the background checks are logged, and put into the system. So much for not having gun registration in the US of A.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
In general, we record the sale from a dealer on a ATF form 4473. Private sales are not required to be recorded, so once an original owner sells a firearm, the paper trail ends.

"Registration", in the sense that each firearm must be tied to a specific owner, does not exist at the federal level, and I don't know a single state that has such a law. There are a few cities that have ordnances to that effect, but they are few (Chicago and Washington DC are the only two I know of for sure).

·
III
1,254 Posts
Handguns are registered in N.Y. for sure.And you need a permit to own one,very lengthy process. Carry is next to impossible. That's one reason I don't live there anymore.Too many people loving to deny your your rights.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,960 Posts
There is no requirement for any permit here.

A 'background check' here is required if you buy from a dealer, bu tit can not take longer than 60-seconds. If their website can not say 'no' within 60-seconds than your 'good'.

But there is not requirement for permits, nor licenses, and we have no 'registration' in existence.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts