Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Greyman with a Mohawk
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on this ax on and off for a while,
I based it off a viking style "Boarding Ax"
Cut out with a plasma cutter I used scraps of 1/4" steel left over after up- armoring MTVR's and I believe r234 round bar for the handle, I mainly use it for demolition and it has smashed everything from concrete block and bricks to knocking down studs and ripping out drywall.
recently I added the line for aesthetic appeal and start notching it with a small file.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cool. Is the head welded to the bar?
Kinda looks like a "goose wing" axe (I think its called)

I read somewhere that a lot of axes had a counterweight like a hammerhead or spike on the trailing edge for alignment during the swing. Don't know exactly how that would work, just curious if you had experimented.

·
Greyman with a Mohawk
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very cool. you need to wear a horned viking helmet while you are doing demo with that thing...for safety :thumb:
Haha that would be rockin I've always wanted a horned helmet.

As far as the couterweight goes, I made a really huge flanged mace out of similar materials years ago , I believe the head weighed about 7 lbs. I welded a piece of 2" bar to the bottom to use as a counter weight... wish I still had that one to show you guys a pic, but gave it to a contractor buddy as a gift.

The blade IS welded on but has held up through a ton of abuse so far

here are a few pics of another mace I haven't really refined yet

nasty old torch welds- can you dig it?

·
Greyman with a Mohawk
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dude, I'm working out some designs to engrave on it. It was originally just meant to be something to hang above my mantle but ended up being a wicked tool of destruction.

·
Greyman with a Mohawk
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took a bit of 150 grit to it, I think I may end up doing a mirror finish on it, going to home depot tomorrow to see what other sort of grit I can get, the handle is blued so I think I'll just leave that as is- save maybe a leather grip or a bit of checkering....or both

1 - 9 of 9 Posts