Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. I'm always fishing and after I clean my catch, I just toss the carcass in the trash. I tried burying them in the garden but the varmints kept digging it up. I stumbled across this the other day and figured I'd give it a shot.

MYO Fish Fertilizer Step 1: Start with approximately 1 gallon of fish parts from your fish cleaning session. This can include heads, skeletons and innards. Put in bottom of 5 gallon lidded bucket (trust me, you'll want that lid very soon!). Add 1 cup sugar to help in the decomposition and enzymatic processes. Fill bucket ¾ full of water. Stir until sugar is mixed through the solution. Put lid on tight and keep bucket away from your house and your neighbors' houses. Decomposing fish doesn't smell the best!

MYO Fish Fertilizer Step 2: Open lid and stir daily to mix and aerate the fish fertilizer in the bucket. After about a week, you will start to see some bubbling and foaming on the top of the bucket. This shows you that decomposition has begun. Continue to stir daily.

MYO Fish Fertilizer Step 3: After two weeks, your solution is ready. Strain out solids from your fish fertilizer using several thicknesses of cheesecloth tied securely over the top of the bucket. You can add the fish solids to your compost pile at this point. Make sure your compost pile is secure from predators as raccoons and possums will otherwise love the buffet you set out for them.

MYO Fish Fertilizer Step 4: Keep your fish fertilizer in a jug or bucket with an air hole in it. The decomposition process will continue if there is still sugar present in the solution. Just like still-fermenting wine, you won't want to seal it closed or the gasses may explode the container.

MYO Fish Fertilizer Step 5: When ready to use your fish fertilizer, dilute the concentrated mixture with water on a 1:4 ratio. For example, use 1 cup of fish fertilizer to 4 cups of water. You can put fertilizer into a spray bottle to give the leaves of your plants a foliar spray, or you can add to your watering can or automatic sprayer to let the fertilizer soak into the soil to condition plant roots.

Making your own fish fertilizer can make a huge difference to both your garden and your wallet.

Was bored today so I headed down to the Sound to see if I could net me up some fish. Was gonna go fishing but figured this was the easiest way to get fish quick. I had a few frozen Pompano Carcass that I caught this weekend, and ended up netting some Menhaden, Pinfish, and Mullet. A blue crab got in there as well.

I added a pour spout to each bucket. I dont plan on ever taking the tops of these until they need to be refilled so I put a balloon on the top of each spout to allow for the gas expansion. ( Kinda like when you make your own vino)

I had some extra screen laying around so I added to the bottom of the spout to filter out most of the chunks of fish.

And VOILA!! 3 buckets of nasty stinky love!! Will post a review of the final product in two weeks when the fish all decompose, but something tells me its not gonna take that long in the hot Florida heat!! Enjoy

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mollasses will help break it down? All i had in the house was sugar so i went with it.. Makes sense though i will try that next time..

·
Fringe Element
2,595 Posts
I think... I will just... Do... What them ****** did... And bury... The fish... Under
the corn row.

(Phew!!!)

(Along with the dead possums, rats, and Obama-voters.)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No clue about the temps but I stirred to pots today and they were stinkinnn already.. Im really looking forward to seeing how this stuff turns out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
if it smells anything like forgetting a couple of mullet or maybe some shrimp in a cooler during the summer , i am going to have to pass on this one. very informative though

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if it smells anything like forgetting a couple of mullet or maybe some shrimp in a cooler during the summer , i am going to have to pass on this one. very informative though
Yeah its only day 2 and it already smells like i have a dead body in my back yard. Wonder how it takes for my neighbor to start bitchin

You in the Pcola area big john?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah its only day 2 and it already smells like i have a dead body in my back yard. Wonder how it takes for my neighbor to start bitchin

You in the Pcola area big john?
i claim pensacola as home but i really live north of it in the woods in cottage hill. oh yeah before you go out fishing this weekend dont forget memorial day. i made that mistake once. there are images burned in my brain that will never go away:eek:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i claim pensacola as home but i really live north of it in the woods in cottage hill. oh yeah before you go out fishing this weekend dont forget memorial day. i made that mistake once. there are images burned in my brain that will never go away:eek:
Nice man im just down the road from you.. Moved to the Navarre area a couple years ago and love it out here. Not too sure where cottage hill is at.. out near baker?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
out past cantonment on escambia river. yeah navarre is a great place, on the beach but in ten minutes you can be in the woods
Yeah i hear that.. Spent some time in the Destin area before i moved out here and would rather live in a box than have to move back to that place. Much quieter and more laid back here..

·
Registered
554 Posts
what about just using a blender to liquify the (fresh)fish and then spread and rototill that liquid into the garden - would that dilute it enough to prevent the skunks and raccoons from digging?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couldnt tell ya, never tried it. Another problem I ran into with burying the whole carcass was the fire ants eating it before it had the chance to do its thing. I buried the remains of a 26" Redfish and in 2 days there was nothin but bone. Im guessing the ants will do the same with the blended fish parts as well. With all the bones and skin im not sure you would be able to liquify enough.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok it is now day 7 of this stuff marinating in 95 degree heat, and let me tell you its getting pretty ripe! Had 2 neighbors complain and 1 said he almost called the cops because he thought i was hiding a dead body! So if you have neighbors in close proximity, you might want to try another method!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used to something similar to this when I was trapping, I would just put the guts in a gallon jar for about two weeks in the sun, lid on loose, then use the solution on my boots and gloves to keep my sent off the traps and trail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts