Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
imho, the main thing that is missing is some formal first aid training.
you build your kit around your knowledge base. this allows you to use everything with maximum efficiency and also lets you easily improvise when necessary.
try joining your local volunteer fire department for great training that should be at no cost to you. it will give you the chance to put into practice your training there. and it will also give you the opportunity to give something back to your community which I, for one, think is very important and satisfying.
best of luck to you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Fish or other pet antibiotics would be a good addition to a kit like that. If it was a truly SHTF situation, what I would really like is a few bottles of amoxicilin. I can't get that, so fish antibiotics are what's possible.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Might have missed some items while watching tv at same time, but I don't think I saw...

* SAM Splint or similar. (very versatile.)
* Triangular bandages, (at least two) Great for sling / swath / certain head wounds if you know how to tie some specialty knots, useful for splinting, etc.
* instant glucose if any concern about diabetics.
* maybe a dental emergency sub-kit, (at least some Cavit?? or whatever the temp filling stuff is called.)
* Did you have a couple of medical gloves and masks? If treating yourself, no biggie. but if you intend to touch anyone else, best cover up.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I would start out with two pre-made kits:
An 'owee' kit that you can buy on-line - focusing on cuts, scrapes and some basic bandaids and disinfection and;
An IFAK kit made more more serious wounds. AR500 (the folks who make steel shooting plates) have started to make IFAK's that are good for the money and contain the basics for more serious wounds;
take the two and then watch a video or two from 'skinny medic' or others to figure out what you need in the 'white space' not covered between them to have something more complete. I believe the mid-priced AFIK has a chest seal but needs a splint and Israeli bandage (I believe) so I added that stuff to start with. I added extra blood clotting powder as well (and a big bullet to bite on when you administer it!).
I haven't updated my med training since college when I was an EMT and ran with the school's ambulance squad but most of that learning is forgotten or out of date so I need to take more courses as well.
As I said, it's a good place to start.
Whether you want to stock or feel you need to administer prescriptions such as pain killers or antibiotics is a guess and a personal choice. I don't much like the idea of putting fish products into my loved ones so finding ways to accumulate a few z-pacs and some pain killers might be prudent, but I'd rather not be the one prescribing them as I don't have sufficient expertise to do so. But if it's a life or death issue, I guess I'd want the option. You are much better off having a doctor as part of your extended team than doing it yourself.
Finally, acquiring and protecting whatever prescription meds you and yours require daily to maintain their health should be accumulated if possible. I don't have much experience in this, but getting at least one month ahead should be fairly straightforward (they are often dispensed ahead of schedule if you are traveling for a period out of country) but beyond that is likely much harder.
B

·
Tactical Medic
54 Posts
I have had no issues taking fish mox. It is the exact same stuff as amoxicillin. To the t it is the same. My drug reference book I carry in my pocket on the rig matches the manufacture numbers.

That being said get some training. We are required to have continuing education hour yearly and you will constantly be up to date on the newest procedures and if you work as a volunteer with an ambo or an f.d. you may be able to get discounts on supplies.

·
reluctant sinner
20,163 Posts
Good vid. So I'm not a medical professional either. You need a carbide jaw needle holder to use those sutures. Last week I bought 2 pair of 5.5" ones for like $12 on Amazon, they are a little small for my big hands, so I ordered a 10" one for like $15 on A, should be here some time this week. You need some un-waxed dental floss to practice with a curved needle. I'm going to sew my new elk leather mitten shells up with a curved pair of needles and 4 to 6 strands of dental floss (what ever I can thread into the needle) for practice. Hemostats will work, but poorly.

Your lighters still in the wrappers are un-tested, good you have more than 2.

Ammonium Hydroxide and Iodine from a contact explosive, very sensitive stuff. You might want to consider your altoids can contents. You only stated ammonia and tincture, so pardon me for assuming.

A small sealed bottle of saline to wash out eyes. A small rare earth magnet to help pull metal splinter's (works great for eyes). Good pair of tweezers are very handy.

A chunk of pure silver so you can make colloidal silver if you can get enough electricity. You can also pound it out into foil for wounds. Fish meds will work.

Small tube of lidocaine is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNQJHDG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015YNAWA/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

I'm planning on one of those O-ring ammo 50 cal. ammo cans for my kit.

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC-11-P-A..._sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RPS2TFGQ76NAYDJMVJV

You can download the book "Where there is no doctor" and perhaps the no dentist one for free. +1 for training both free and paid stuff if you can spare the time and bucks.

I got a surgery kit and some vet sutures a few weeks ago. $25 for the stainless and $20 for some more sutures. Both off Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Throw in a pair of socks or briefs. you can use either and a duel purpose item in case you get a major slice from a knife or random accident. a sock would work better but the elastic and cotton material will help to stop the blood easily and if you end up not needing it then you have an extra pair of socks which is always good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.