Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start and every one starts yelling, I fully understand the safety issues at stake here and understand how to properly work with energetics. with that beind said. I have been doing some reading on improvised ammo and it got me thinking. Due to my pyrotecnics hobby I make my own blackpowder, it isnt bad could use some improvements but it is pretty fast. So I decided to pull the bullet off of a 22 lr round and I replaced the smokeless with he same volume of black powder and reseated the bullet. Now I dont have proper reloading equipment so I used pliers to acomplish all of this, I was able to reseat the lead, but it wasn't a very tight fit( probably effected the performance) I then proceded to fire it into my diy clearing barrle. Well it was a partial success the lead actually exited the muzle with some force. Now I need to load up some more and take it to my range and actually see if i can hit a target with them. So any sugestions from the veteran reloaders out their? How do I improve the performance? Next week DIY primers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would say get some reloading equipment, get some books on reloading, get some books on black powder, and get some junk firearms if you actually wanna try this. I just think you're going to mess up your barrels and hurt yourself, but if you wanna try it good luck.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Ummm...

Get some Specs... You were OK with a .22... but for larget I'd atleast Chrono the rounds (Start small and build up)

30-30, 45-70 etc work with BP.

Also just about any straight walled case (45LC etc) will work with BP.

Be careful, check your specs frequebntly, and stay on the consirvative side.

(And don't blame me when you blow your fingers off)

Wear good eye pro

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm...

Get some Specs... You were OK with a .22... but for larget I'd atleast Chrono the rounds (Start small and build up)

30-30, 45-70 etc work with BP.

Also just about any straight walled case (45LC etc) will work with BP.

Be careful, check your specs frequebntly, and stay on the consirvative side.

(And don't blame me when you blow your fingers off)

Wear good eye pro

well that is why i did it for a 22, if something goes wrong i loose part of a finger instead of a arm:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
What mix of chemicals did you use for your black powder? The wife and I have been considering the same thing if smokless powder were to become unavailable.

·
Accuracy is Final
506 Posts
My father-inlaw make s BP but only uses it in his Golf Ball Mortar. Sure is fun to touch off in the gravel pits.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Oh God! the black powder cannon.....Sold it.

Had the balls and powder paper wrapped together for fast loads. Drive one down the barrel till the rod mark was even and spike the powder hole and slip in a slant cut fuse. figure burning two cans at every session was a habit I had to pass on to someone else.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts