Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you plan to bug in ? In an urban area after shtf, what is your plan for disposing of garbage and human waste? (this assumes the water/sewer and garbage disposal services have stopped). I have given it some thought since we live on only a postage stamp sized piece of land have come up with only temporary solutions. I can compost anything organic, compress things like cans, save plastic containers.... but eventually we will have to dig a privvy,
and figure out what to do with stacks and stacks of "aromatic" cans and broken stuff, crushed bottles and etc. taking them to the recycling station is out, I am pretty sure.......
I am assuming water supply at first will be at a premium enough not to want to waste it "washing" the cans, etc.
anybody else got some ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thinking out loud here, not statement of gospel or received wisdom...

Urine goes on compost:

The best form of liquid addition for compost is what some composters primly call Household Compost Activator. Other people call it urine. Don't be coy about it -- this is what should happen to urine rather than wasting it by flushing it down the toilet. Develop a self-righteous attitude about not wasting it -- but don't shout about it too loud, modern city people like neighbours and so on can be funny about these things, what they don't know won't hurt them.

First, urine is sterile. Second, it contains the drainage of every cell in the body -- it's crammed with minerals and vitamins. Third, it contains a lot of nitrogen -- that's one reason that it's silly to buy nitrogen (there are others).
Human solids would probably be best made into humanure.

Noncompostable solids (non-valuable metals, glass, etc) might be used as terraforming landfill to make defensive berms, water channels, or maybe even built into shelter walls.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Have septic, no problem there. Water isn't an issue so the Johnny Flusher will flush.

Burn what solids I can,which should be most.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no trouble with compost, compost and I have been buddies for years, but the idea of lots of flattened cans has me bamboozled... I am thinking maybe starting a pile out back of the garage and just adding to it til I can't add any more... burning first would no doubt make them less attractive to pests such as insects and rats/mice/etc
but I don't know in my public situation how long before I'll feel safe enough to stack
cans... plus advertising that I had cans with stuff in them before that! Maybe we will get to the place where we will put them on the walls inside as armour or something... I don't know... make can-mail by punching holes in them and hanging them as curtains across all my windows??? We have a public swimming pool right across the road from us, i have fantasies of just filling bags with cans and heaving them over that chain link fence into the hole where the pool used to be... $12 million piece of useless.... grrrrrr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Taking Out the Trash

This is one subject I have not seen in the hundreds of articles, mini-articles, and blog comments I have read about how to prepare and survive. what is ahead. The subject of “taking out the trash” will become a serious issue for most of us who cannot completely vacate our place in the suburbs. You may discount this issue initially, but planning for this should be integrated into much of your preparations. There are two primary issues to be addressed here. How will you be able to dispose of garbage, and how can you do this without attracting unwanted attention. Do not count on public garbage collection continuing on a reliable basis when things get serious. Years ago, I remember hearing about a sanitation workers strike in New York City that lasted for weeks. In the 1970’s England went through a recession and a devaluation of the British Pound. During that time garbage pick up, along with many other public services, was suspended for months in many cities.
You are certainly gathering quantities of water, food, and supplies to improve your chances of survival when things get really serious. Unless you want strangers coming along to relieve you of your preparations, you had better not advertise your preparation efforts when you are taking out the trash even before it gets bad. Someone may remember their curiosity about some of the packaging you trashed. This of course becomes even more critical once circumstances get really serious.

There are plenty of dumpster divers in our society already. When real trouble hits, many desperate people will be looking for any sign of where they might find food nearby. Remember also that civilians may not be the only people searching for these clues. Addressing this issue in your planning will take more than simply finding a dumpster away from your house. If people find signs of food in a dumpster, such as empty food cans, believe me, they will try to find how it got there, even if they have to wait for your next deposit. If, as some Preparers fear, regulations against “hoarding” are imposed, this issue could get really ugly before you know it.

Give some thought into what you are storing and how you are storing it. What will you do with your containers after the contents have been used? Some of you have collected a supply of canned foods, or MREs. These are especially problematic because of the traces of food left in an empty can or plastic pouch. These tidbits will attract bugs (or worse) and can also generate unpleasant smells if not disposed of soon. Even if they are crushed and bagged for disposal, this may still pose a challenge unless they are washed. If your water supply is limited, you probably do not want to be washing the things you are going to throw away. There is a possibility that you might “rinse” the inside of the container immediately after opening with a small amount of boiling water and add that water to a soup or add it to the water you are using to prepare your meal. (And while we are thinking about water use, have you really thought through what it will take to wash your dishes and yourselves?) This might at least mitigate the sanitation problems.

Crushing the cans, plastics, and all other materials will greatly reduce the volume of materials needing disposal. Next you must determine which disposal method to use. Burying it is great for disposal if you have the space. Avoiding attention in doing so becomes a significant issue in this method. Also, After this goes on for a while the space requirements and work required can become troublesome.

I am assuming that if you are fortunate enough to still have trash pick up service still functioning, you still do not want attention drawn to your preparations by those who failed to prepare. If you may be able to dispose of some of your trash in dumpsters. You may need to wrap it to keep it from being readily discovered. Multiple small packages will be easier to dispose of without attracting attention. Be sure not to include anything that would identify you or your location to the curious. You will need to plan on what you can use wrap your trash, or at least portions of it. Are there other materials (used paper, plastic bags, paper bags, used foil, etc.) that after being used, can be reused to bundle other trash.

A classic method for dealing with garbage years ago was to burn trash even at landfills! I can remember when each public school had their own incinerator for that purpose to reduce the burden on public landfills. Virtually everyone living in rural locations had a spot for burning their own trash. That of course was before the government created the EPA to protect us from ourselves. Any activity even remotely similar today or after the crisis will be like waving a huge flag once the serious trouble begins. Even if you have a fireplace and it is winter, the variation in aroma from firewood (if firewood is even allowed in your community, and no, I am not kidding about that!) may cause a concern regarding discovery. Another special issue for some of you will be disposing of any plastic water or food containers. I for one do not want to burn any kind of plastic in my fireplace. As mentioned before, there is the option of burying it (like your own private landfill.) That may be a workable solution if you have a large enough spot that is not easily seen while you are digging. If this is not feasible you need to develop a plan that fits your situation.

Obviously some of the packaging for your supplies can be simply crushed or stacked and kept in place. The concern is those containers and materials that may cause a sanitation issue when used. The best solutions may involve treating different kinds of trash in different ways, or even changing your methods as your situation progresses.

No one solution will work for everyone. Everyone’s situation will be different. I just wanted to throw out some ideas, and help you to think through your preparations.
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE] Think it through, and prepare well. Finally, let’s take the lead together once we get through this.

Prepare well for your family.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Pigs and Fire.

Reactions: Sumatra

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think we are going to have a lot less trash eotwawki think about what you have in your trash can today, newspaper, junk mail, food packaging, containers etc. that is all gonna be used for fuel "fire" storing things, or something in eotwawki. scraps of food left nope those wont' get thrown out everything will be eaten. So really what do we have in our garbage cans now that can't be used to used??? not to much Human Waste if not composing bury it.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
containers can be reused for storage. if you reuse mylar bags the cans cab be used to protect the bag. can also be used for all sorts of things. plastic can be used for small water filters.

human waste as was said urine into the compost pile. solid wastes get burned.

removing the majority of packaging and consolidating would be the way to go initially.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
There is many problem after big good shtf situation...
Even if you are organised, someone else maybe not and just dump him trash down from his balcony and he is who make all the trouble...

Cooperation is the key to keep places clean as possible in city. If someone not play with same rules, that make some mess... And you can quess that is what will happen!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
septic / outhouse but honestly if you take a hard look at your garbage you will notice that there is alot of compostables people toss on a daily basis you can honestly massively reduce your trash load by composting and in a SHTF scenario you will be not be tossing things like hell aluminum foil can be re rolled and re used if needed but you won't be tossing stuff like we do now

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Burn what'll burn...fire takes the plastisized film off metals...crap burns,nuff said...bgfan,you got neighbors you despise?...not good...Like the idea of usin non-contaminates in fill like rammed earth usage...Dennis Weaver built a home yrs back usin that method...don't know how it will be handled by people in densely popped areas...designate one property as the town catchall ?. Got a feelin things like wirin,alum,will become (PMs) portant materials...

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
I don't think we'd really have that much to go in the "trash."

Most edible trash the animals will devour, septic tank takes care of the human waste, what's left can burn or be compacted, and we'll soon run out of manufactured trash.........

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Burn what'll burn...fire takes the plastisized film off metals...crap burns,nuff said...bgfan,you got neighbors you despise?...not good...Like the idea of usin non-contaminates in fill like rammed earth usage...Dennis Weaver built a home yrs back usin that method...don't know how it will be handled by people in densely popped areas...designate one property as the town catchall ?. Got a feelin things like wirin,alum,will become (PMs) portant materials...
burning non replentishable fuels is foolish to remove trash now if you were to say smelt the mettles that would be a good use of fuel but just to burn and go is not

·
Shhh!! what was that!!
138 Posts
Well as I’m in the process of buying my BOL and build there, I still live in a residential area. So burning for me is not a choice. What I was thinking is to dig. Like everyone that has responded say I don’t want my “signature” exposed. Because let’s face it carrying #10 size cans, crushed or not creates noise, noise in a SHTF situation amplifies and since hungry people will have hyper sensitive senses looking for food, like smell and hearing and in some cases visual, like seeing things that you normally wouldn’t.

So I was thinking, because my house has a crawl space, to dig in the middle of my crawl space, not near the foundation. But dig and the dirt I remove I’ll use to fill my cans and other type of material and line them against the wall inside my crawl space. That ever else can go in the hole.

Also if you keep yourself busy and burn a lot of calories you will be surprise how you can balance that amount of “deuces” you drop. Burn calories = burning fuel, which fuel is food and if you burn the food you consume you don’t have to drop a #2 as much. Of course in healthy forms.

But the answer for me is digging. And I feel for city folks that have to deal with their concrete jungle.

Also beware if you live near a creak or a river or lake because people will use that to dispose of their waste, so your pretty creak that you thought you can get clean water from can become a cesspool of waste from your lovely human friends.

And talking about a cesspool, you can create a cesspool pit for your human waste, it’s the early form of a septic tank.

God Speed, and you thought taking the trash out now was a chore 

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Since you won't be out buying packaged food there will be very little waste. Human waste just dig a deep hole and periodically add a layer of soil in it.

@sonoftexas
During the strikes in England people took the trash and dumped it outside Parliament :thumb:

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
An outhouse.

If it was good enough for Great Grandpa, it's good enough for me. :eek::

Reactions: emh1701

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Most trash you can make into other items, put any food stuff on the compost heap. Urine can be used as bleach for clothes and bury the poo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts