Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked about this fan in another thread and found a few others around here have the same one so I thought Id share with the rest of you what a great fan this is. Its battery operated and can last an entire weekend on a single set of batteries. Sadly it requires 8 D batteries but the output, even on the low setting is insane. I read nearly all the reviews on this fan from time of purchase to after, some complain about installing the batteries but at the bottom of the fan base there are two sliding covers and they go in rather easily so Im not sure what the complaints are about but, if you want a solid fan to keep you cool in the more hot climates or when the power goes out, this one is for you.

Now and again you can find them at walmart, but amazon stocks them, go read some reviews on this item, or better yet, order one or 3.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I figure at the cost of 8d batteries a weekend that is a huge cost I would never make. Being that I dont figure Ill have helocopters resuppling by place with batery drops ill stick without it. But then again when it get to hot we can just go below ground. But even if we could not its better to deal with the heat for a weekend then use up the battries. But thanks to some it would be ok for the little comfort. Just not for us.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
I figure at the cost of 8d batteries a weekend that is a huge cost I would never make. Being that I dont figure Ill have helocopters resuppling by place with batery drops ill stick without it. But then again when it get to hot we can just go below ground. But even if we could not its better to deal with the heat for a weekend then use up the battries. But thanks to some it would be ok for the little comfort. Just not for us.
It also runs off of 12v DC. 8 x 1.5v = 12 v. :D:
ie., Deep Cycle, car battery, 12v gel cell, 12 v Sealed Lead Acid with a 12v solar panel.
I drilled a small hole in the battery compartment of mine & ran red & black wires out with alligator clips on the ends.
Also, 9v & 6v will run a 12v fan. Not as fast, not as hard, & not as long, but it will run it.
That was the biggest selling point for that fan. Multiple power options.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
It does seem like a good fan. Rascals is right, D cells are expensive and bulky. I wonder if rechargeable D cells would be a viable option? TP

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It also runs off of 12v DC. 8 x 1.5v = 12 v. :D:
ie., Deep Cycle, car battery, 12v gel cell, 12 v Sealed Lead Acid with a 12v solar panel.
I drilled a small hole in the battery compartment of mine & ran red & black wires out with alligator clips on the ends.
Also, 9v & 6v will run a 12v fan. Not as fast, not as hard, & not as long, but it will run it.
That was the biggest selling point for that fan. Multiple power options.
I was hoping everyone wasnt lazy and not look up the features, for I left them out on purpose so the truely motivated or interested would look into it. I mentioned an entire weekend on a set of batteries, thats running constantly, and even in Florida or Texas, it does get cooler at night, right about where everyone has their AC set to so it wouldnt be needed after 8-9pm, hence saving battery life. Rechargables would work on this fan also. But for those who like to nitpick everything. Here you go, this will solve your issues on powering this fan or anything else.
Sunforce 22005 12-Volt MotoMaster Eliminator Folding Solar Panel
Look this up on amazon, read the reviews. Youre welcome!
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-22005-12-Volt-MotoMaster-Eliminator/dp/B000C1Z2LY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309280835&sr=1-1

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
I was hoping everyone wasnt lazy and not look up the features
Sorry. :(

I immediately jumped on it with the alternate power ideas because of the "discounters" to the D battery operation.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, and I want to be knowledgeable, if not proficient, in all of 'em.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry. :(

I immediately jumped on it with the alternate power ideas because of the "discounters" to the D battery operation.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, and I want to be knowledgeable, if not proficient, in all of 'em.
I applaude you for taking the time to look up the product I mentioned, it says at least one person so far who seen this post is interested in getting the heat off a little bit, and you being in texas, I know texas heat, its like florida minus the bugs, spiders and the overwhelming stickiness of summer. Ill take your dry heat any day. Ive done operations in the middle east where it peaked at 136 degrees for two days straight. Summers in florida and central-south america is murder. PS get this fan, youll dig it.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,547 Posts
Why not just use rechargeables and an inexpensive solar battery charger. They pay for themselves in the long run. And it's the only way to have an "endless" supply of batteries after the SHTF anyway.

Throw away batteries are a poor investment.

·
Indefatigable
21,089 Posts
I checked out the fan in the post, wow is it tiny! The one we have on the dog crate is larger....
I have a breed of dog that does not do well in extended high temps (no nose) and we have frequent power outages during summer storms. For that reason we bought
http://http://www.amazon.com/ProSelect-Pet-Crate-Fan/dp/B0007RUGRS
it works on a variety of power supplies, the thermostat can be set so it will start when temps get high (good if we aren't home and the power goes out) the best thing is it comes with these reuseable disks that you put in the freezer, they REALLY cool things down. It connects to the outside of the kennel and is very quiet. Not much good for a person, but in a pinch it might save your dogs life.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
PS get this fan, youll dig it.

I have one. I'm thinking of grabbing a second. Or even possibly a third.
As a back up/spare.
Sometimes we're a dry heat, sometimes it's Florida minus the breeze. LOL.

We're currently at 90 degrees, 52% humidity just north of Dallas with a 3 mph wind straight up from the Gulf = 96 degree feel like. :(

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one. I'm thinking of grabbing a second. Or even possibly a third.
As a back up/spare.
Sometimes we're a dry heat, sometimes it's Florida minus the breeze. LOL.

We're currently at 90 degrees, 52% humidity just north of Dallas with a 3 mph wind straight up from the Gulf = 96 degree feel like. :(
Telling you this fan rules. Its not a tiny fan like a poster just mentioned, its the size of a toilet seat at rough guess. Make yourself a set of texas towels. Soak some hand towels in water, wring them out, fold into a square, bag them and freeze them. When the heat is too much, pull one out, unfold and drape across your neck and shoulders.

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
I looked at one running on display at Bed Bath & Beyond. (OP's unit)
It was pretty noisy and the motor is a small toy quality dc motor.
I doubt it would be very reliable. I'll pass.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have had mine for quite some time now, still works and its very quiet since after I use it I actually clean it like I would a weapon. Guess the positive reviews on amazon are wrong, cant please everybody.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts