Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP dv9000 and over the recent months it has collected a lot of debris inside that a hoover just can't work out of the tiny gaps. It makes quite a lot of fan noise as a consequence and runs slower than it should. I took a big risk today in disassembling it.. Got quite far in but chickened it when I reached the screws above the fan (where most the mess is). It would be so much easier if the back of the laptop could just be accessed, rather than having to go top down layer by layer. Frankly I'm surprised it was working when put back together. My technique to remember where everything was was to lie out the screws and components on a table in the order they'd go back in.

Anyone have experience on laptop disassembly with cleaning in mind?

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Have you tried compressed air? I use a mini vac on my desktops. But the laptop space is too confined to use anything but the compressed air. You can buy the canned air at just about any electronics repair shop. Just hold the nozzle of the can at an angle to the fan blades and let it spin. Hope this helps!

Chris

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
its super easy to take computers apart for me at least.. few screws then out comes other parts hardrive cdrom there are sometimes screws under the feet so sometimes you have to look there as well i would just take the main plate on the bottom off spray it out then put it back togther not alot of work and cleans were most of the dirt gets..

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can buy the canned air at just about any electronics repair shop. Just hold the nozzle of the can at an angle to the fan blades and let it spin.
I will check out the electrics store next time I go to the city, not heard of this solution before! I tried putting selotape across all gaps but those of the fan, to increase the suction of a little hoover I bought for 10euro but it just isn't powerful enough :mad:

Link to a PDF file for maintenance & repair for you listed model.
I looked at this but the guide stops once the HDD/chip/outer screw system and keyboard have been removed. After that it's just a case of remembering everything. There seems no reason why it wouldn't work if I carried on disassembly to the bottom, but it just feels risky!

few screws then out comes other parts hardrive cdrom there are sometimes screws under the feet so sometimes you have to look there as well i would just take the main plate on the bottom off spray it out then put it back togther
There's no foot screws on this. The HDDs and chip are removable from back compartments separately. Unfortunately the "main plate" (if you mean the bottom part) does not remove per-say. Everything has to come out top down by layers. I did try to work it open but it's attached to something, probably the fan which is in turn screwed into something holding in the cd drive frame.

·
Mourning Wolf
248 Posts
If you're going to be disassembling pc's I'd highly recommend you pick up an anti static wrist strap to prevent cooking your components with static electricity. (even a minor charge to insignificant to feel can fry graphics cards, mother boards, ram chips etc..)

You might also consider sending my fiancee Lady Falconessa a PM and ask her for advice, she recently tore down her laptop and upgraded the cpu so she can probably give you some good advice on how to clean yours without difficulty. I've only built/repaired mini towers and other "desktop" style PC's so I've got no clue as to the difference (if any) between them beyond the more compact design.

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
If you're going to be disassembling pc's I'd highly recommend you pick up an anti static wrist strap to prevent cooking your components with static electricity. (even a minor charge to insignificant to feel can fry graphics cards, mother boards, ram chips etc..)

You might also consider sending my fiancee Lady Falconessa a PM and ask her for advice, she recently tore down her laptop and upgraded the cpu so she can probably give you some good advice on how to clean yours without difficulty. I've only built/repaired mini towers and other "desktop" style PC's so I've got no clue as to the difference (if any) between them beyond the more compact design.
Thats cool that you work on PC's. I've be in the repair business a long time and it's rare to find a technical women. :thumb:
I've worked on a lot of laptops. It's important to pay attention to screw length. Some have a # printed by the hole for the screw size. Pipe cleaners with windex work wonders on fans and hard to reach areas. Of course an air compressor or canned air helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If your not familiar with opening PC cases or using anti static. Then I would highly recommend you do not open your laptop up. Once slight mistake and all that money down the drain. Years ago I had mine done for me. It cost me 150 bones this included a new drive. Worth the price over the mistake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts