Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing similar threads on here about this type of topic, I thought that I would throw this out into the ring.

How many times a month do we see someone post about how they are going to Bug-Out to the mountains but don't own any land ?

Or how the Bugoutter ( MY new word, pend. copywrite) complains about not being able to find any affordable mountain land, so they are just going to take someone elses ?

"I'd like to build a little retreat someplace but everyplace I look is just too expensive !"

Well I have taken the time to help not only locate some screaming cheap land deals only about 20-30 minutes from a sizable city but a company that will take "TRADES" for land !!!

How about that !? No more reasons to complain , HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN !!!

They may not be the prettiest but they would be a starting point, and they are CHEAP !

First off I know absolutely nothing about this company or anybody affiliated with it. What I do know is the area where most of these properties are located.

We can finally put an end to so many of these "I'm running to the hills but I don't know where I'm going !" type threads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE G-D FOR THAT ONE ALONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

Pastor Mike

http://premierrealestatesolution.com/properties.cfm

·
Registered
384 Posts
if you want treeless flat highlands its cheap as dirt and abundant..

Finding a wooded,secluded, southern mountainside acreage with year round fresh water source is a lil harder to find and isint exactly chump change.

The good news is prices are the lowest yet, Ive been looking for 5 years now and more suitable candidates are becoming available all the time and my nestegg continues to slowly continues to grow.

I want my BOL waaay off the grid and sustainable, I however plan on retiring there in 25 years tho.. If you just want a place for storage and to develop further post-SHTF then there are a ton of few acre lots to be had for less than a used car.

I dont endorse any specific site but there are tons of good sites to search for land.. the ones sold directly by the owner seem to always be the best deals imho.

But really, what is a an acre of land with no near by water source, no fuel sources, little if any wildlife and a cache of supplies going to get you? If your lucky enough to make it out there alive you'll be even more lucky to make it through a single winter.. If its not sustainable then why even bother spending all that money for a simple cache/rally point... ur going to have to move on to a better location eventually, a SHTF event big enough to drive you out to your BOL in the mountains likely means you dont intend on going back home anytime soon, if ever.

I guess my point is if you got the money to purchase & develop an unsustainable supply cache in mountains then you probably have the money to buy some sustainable property and do it the right way.

Cheers,
-R

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
I have a freind that has two lots in central Co. one has a septic permit and the other don't and he cain't get a permit. Need to check local codes.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,911 Posts
What I saw in 2004 was that any property listed with a realtor and/or on a website wants a lot higher price for the property. Than what locals sell it for.

Many times realtors told me that there is no water-frontage forest land on the market for less than $2,000/acre. Even after I bought this land, I have still seen realtors spouting how there is no water-front forest available for less than $2,000/acre. [Thing is I usually get loud calling them liers and point out properties that are on the market for lower prices].

Whenever you see a hand-written sign offering land for sale, call them. Ask them how many properties they are marketing. And don't forget to ask them who else they know that also has land for sale.

I connected with a guy who buys land from timber companies, he logs it himself and then manages the re-growth. But all of his properties are 'for sale'.

Timber land with no water frontage goes for $300 to $500 / acre around here. With water frontage [either river, or navigable lake] goes for $900 to $1,000 / acre. Ocean frontage is more expensive.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main point being (albiet a little humor) is that many of us just don't have the financial resources to just jump in and do it all at once. Going this route allows someone to at least get a start.
By the way, there are ALOT of people that drive 20-30 minutes to work every day out here and build as they go. Thats how we are doing it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure why everyone always wants to bug out to the mountains. Quiet rural area away from cities offers advantages over mountain locations. Availability of water and septic, more temperate climate for growing or whatever. Just to name a few.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,911 Posts
Not sure why everyone always wants to bug out to the mountains. Quiet rural area away from cities offers advantages over mountain locations. Availability of water and septic, more temperate climate for growing or whatever. Just to name a few.
I am not sure that mountainous always changes your climate, unless you change a lot of altitude.

As far as water, there are flatland areas that also offer a lot of water availability too just like mountains.

·
Registered
384 Posts
exactly, you'll be working all spring/summer/fall on prepping to survive winter at these altitudes.. My Wife and I are looking at it as a retirement plan, but then again were more likely to just pickup and retire somewhere more logical, if we love colorado but if we move to a temperate (tropical) climate our energy needs are for merely cooking & refrigeration and wildlife/food/water are abundant.. seems simpler and more attractive imho

Sustaining your self in the mountains is not going to be easy, if everyone flees to the mountains there'll be alot of nicely refrigerated meat laying around for the bears/lions/survivors come spring.

-R

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am not sure that mountainous always changes your climate, unless you change a lot of altitude.

As far as water, there are flatland areas that also offer a lot of water availability too just like mountains.
The topic says Colorado, and the Rocky Mountains are a vast climate change from the front range/plains... heading west from the front-range 9k feet is low ground very quickly. (we have 100 14k peaks in colorado)

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,911 Posts
The topic says Colorado, and the Rocky Mountains are a vast climate change from the front range/plains... heading west from the front-range 9k feet is low ground very quickly. (we have 100 14k peaks in colorado)
I have never lived in Colorado, I am certainly not familiar with all of it's regions. Is the entire state high altitude and mountainous?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The only place in Colorado with trees is in the mountains. :)

Trees=privacy, food, heat and shelter.

Mav

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have never lived in Colorado, I am certainly not familiar with all of it's regions. Is the entire state high altitude and mountainous?
Not mountainous but all the population concentrations are at high altitude, Denver is the Mile High City (5280ft)... Colorado Springs is even higher (7200ft), and the vast majority of the state is a desert environment.... water here is without a doubt the most important resource for sustaining our populations.. Even our snow is dry :xeye:

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,176 Posts
After seeing similar threads on here about this type of topic, I thought that I would throw this out into the ring.

How many times a month do we see someone post about how they are going to Bug-Out to the mountains but don't own any land ?

Or how the Bugoutter ( MY new word, pend. copywrite) complains about not being able to find any affordable mountain land, so they are just going to take someone elses ?

"I'd like to build a little retreat someplace but everyplace I look is just too expensive !"

Well I have taken the time to help not only locate some screaming cheap land deals only about 20-30 minutes from a sizable city but a company that will take "TRADES" for land !!!

How about that !? No more reasons to complain , HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN !!!

They may not be the prettiest but they would be a starting point, and they are CHEAP !

First off I know absolutely nothing about this company or anybody affiliated with it. What I do know is the area where most of these properties are located.

We can finally put an end to so many of these "I'm running to the hills but I don't know where I'm going !" type threads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE G-D FOR THAT ONE ALONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

Pastor Mike

http://premierrealestatesolution.com/properties.cfm
These properties are in freemont and park county Colorado. Generally, this is the upper part of the Arkansas river.

Colorado covers many environments. This part of the state is right thru the heart of the rockies and the snowpack drains into several great rivers such as the Rio Grande and the Arkansas. When I drove through this area was beautiful.

The properties shown on the web site are less desirable and higher priced than what I saw several years ago. This might indicate a general increase in land prices, but I expect the local prices along US-50 have gone down, not up. I believe the realtor is just listing his properties higher to catch folks from out of state.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Properties along Hwy 50 are currantly holding steady at there inflated prices like they have been for the past ten years. I know, I live out here.

The other properties and land south of 50 going toward Westcliff and east toward Canon City are really begining to drop and you tend to have good well depth (avg. 65') and water quality. The terrain varies from heavily treed to open praires. The amount of wild game out and about just during the daytime is absolutely mind blowing ! Wild turkeys, mule deer herds, elk herds , antelope herds and black bear actually stop traffic on a regular basis. The area is outside a line of drift and still within commuting distance . Come on ! Do you not think that if you are looking for SHANGRI-LA as a primo BOL then you should ask yourself "Hmm, if this looks so great to me I wonder how this would look to others ?"

There really is something to be said for NOT having the best location, but having one near to it can be just as good. Think of it this way, if you were a refugee looking for easy pickens were would you head ? Up the road with plenty of shade trees where surely someone built a lovely mountain cabin that's been overlooked, OR, up the dirt road that goes winding up into the burned out hills where the scub oak is taking over and nobody is interested in that area anymore, surely everything must have been destroyed at sometime ?

How many times do we read about people making their house look already looted so as to avoid being looted ? If this is the case then why pick a location that just screams "Preppers should be living here, look at all the surface water and tillable soil !"

All of the best prepping and planning in the world will not save your butt one minute longer if you do not start learning how to think outside of the box .

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
No you don't. There are just over 50 and I've climbed 35 or so.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MadPrepper.....Ever get over to the Salida area ? We sure would enjoy hearing some of the stories that went with all those climbs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts