Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
I searched but didn't see any threads on this...and it's something you don't need a lot of equipment for...this is from a commercial establishment, but I think you can get the picture of how-to...
Dude - if you look you'll find one of Kev's first videos is of his wife making candles. Not dipped ones, but pouring wax into a jar looks like a lot less work than dipping candles. And I'd think that jarred candles would be easier to store (as they're uniform in shape, and probably a lot less fragile than candlesticks).

Still pretty cool...

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
I've made candels in this way, but i was like 8 at the time so i can't remember much about it. I do know that there is a lot of equiptment involved.
I will try to take some pictures and post them.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Made candles both ways and the dipping way is just hard, takes a lot of wax, technique and time. But since they make cancles like that, there sure must be a benefit. Maybe they need less wax?

Making candles in molds is loads easier, plus you can use weird looking ones to make gifts.

Never made beeswax candles, but they seem like just a rolled wax cake around a wick.

I'm sure this has been repeated, but through history, what have "wax" been made from?

·
wide awake
143 Posts
I tried making candles several years ago, and learned quickly that I'm not a chandler. Now in a SHTF situation, it would be a different story, but there's a lot more to a good candle than just pouring wax into a jar and sticking a wick in it if you want one that burns well and doesn't smoke like a freight train (ask me how I know!).

Learning how to make candles is not a bad thing to add to your list of skills, but for now, I'm buying the commercial made ones. :D: I like soy candles or beeswax best myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts