Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
14,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned from a hospital pharmacist, that the FDA is strongly considering the removal of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) from over the counter (OTC) purchase, due to the increasing prevalence of such being used to potentiate opioids.

I am unable to locate any documentation for this information.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
If it is for real I am going to scream and yell: my family has heavy-duty allergies such as peanut allergies and bee sting allergies, and we all use Benadryl.

A couple of us have epi pens as well for just in case, but would any sane person rather use an epi-pen shot AFTER it gets life-threatening or a Benadryl pill BEFORE it gets bad?

Benadryl rocks

I suspect it is just rumor, or the doctors will ALSO scream and yell

·
Registered
673 Posts
IMO it will not happen. Benadryl is potentially life-saving for severe allergic reaction and is thus too important to relegate to behind-the-counter Rx-only sales. It is cheap and shelf-stable and easily carried in a purse or pocket in case of immediate need.

The last reference I can find on the FDA site is from 2017 in the Guidance documents section and that doesn't seem to be available now. It does not necessarily pertain to the potentiality issue for that matter. Sounds like an urban legend to me.

RR

As far as being a opioid potentiater grapefruit juice can also be used because it changes the way your body metabolizes the meds. Should we also restrict sales on quantities of same?

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
just asked a Pharm.D. friend, as I was reading this his response was "potentiating effect has been known for years, why bother now."

so it's 1-1

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
That is not good because I use generic Benadryl for sleep. I get a 1000 ct bottle from Amazon for 17.40. I take 2 pills a night 50 mgs each so a total of 100 mgs a night. It helps with my pain and helps me sleep for a good 8 hours. I guess I might oughta stock up on that just in case it's for real.

That's the only thing I have found that puts me to sleep and keeps me a sleep but if I wake up to go to the bathroom I can go back to sleep no problem. I have never been able to sleep through the night since I was about 12 years old. I sleep an hour or 2 then I wake up for an hour or 2 all fricken night long.

Back 8 years ago when this opoid crisis hit my dr took me off of my sleep medicine. The only damn thing that worked. She suggested this and it has been great for what I need it for. Not to mention it helps when I eat something i'm allergic to and break out in hives.

Oh boy, I get very cranky without 3 night of sleep.

·
Freedom Freeloader
539 Posts
If they do this is will probably be like Sudafed is now: behind the counter, but no prescription required. You would have to sign for it, and they will scan your id.

I hope this is just a rumour.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
prepared for life & death
2,469 Posts
Benedryl has been linked to increased cases of dementia and memory problems. Just be aware. I don't take it anymore, not for those causes but because it makes me very drowsy.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,975 Posts
One day they are going to get to this point: If someone wants to commit suicide, LET THEM.

Let them weed themselves out, let Darwin run free... and stop "saving" people who OD.

That will save a lot of taxpayer time and trouble. Not to mention taking a load off the medical people.

Reactions: TraderBob

·
Indefatigable
20,144 Posts
Well I guess I will lay in a few more bottles just in case. I have a nut allergy and no, OTC benadryl won't keep me alive. However, if my dogs go tromping over pecans and walnuts on walks and then touch me before I can wipe them down...hives and I need it for that. Double for the benadryl gel, it's the best thing I have ever used for the common itch.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Benedryl has been linked to increased cases of dementia and memory problems. Just be aware. I don't take it anymore, not for those causes but because it makes me very drowsy.
It has also been directly linked to prostate enlargement in men after prolonged use.

Everything has side effects including pure water. We aren't always acutely aware of them but they exist. Except for homeopathic solutions. The side effects in them are purely psychological. But then, so is the effect.

RR

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't see the tablets used extensively in an illicit manner but I do see the IV med used this way from time to time. I had one case where the person was pushing a large amount with a needle and getting high that way. Not rare but not unheard of. Any law will not stop it when some many other things are available.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I use Benedryl to help me sleep sometimes. If it gets removed from the US I'll just get it from some guy in a trenchcoat on the street corner.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't see the tablets used extensively in an illicit manner but I do see the IV med used this way from time to time. I had one case where the person was pushing a large amount with a needle and getting high that way. Not rare but not unheard of. Any law will not stop it when some many other things are available.
It has hypnotic properties, so yeah, IV abuse would be likely if it can be acquired that way. I had a mental patient some years ago that used doses of around 200 mg oral to enable him to talk to God.

RR

14,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
***UPDATE***

The hospital's Director of Pharmacy stated to me that FDA was wanting to place said ban into place on 1 July. However, due to the COVID-19, it is more likely to occur in the Autumn.

·
Indefatigable
20,144 Posts
***UPDATE***

The hospital's Director of Pharmacy stated to me that FDA was wanting to place said ban into place on 1 July. However, due to the COVID-19, it is more likely to occur in the Autumn.
You said you couldn't produce any documentation - well what documentation does this Pharmacist have? You say it this is coming from the FDA but I couldn't find any info there on a proposed ban.

Reactions: Reasonable Rascal
14,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You said you couldn't produce any documentation - well what documentation does this Pharmacist have? You say it this is coming from the FDA but I couldn't find any info there on a proposed ban.
I did ask, but they immediately told me that they didn't have it.

It is interesting to note that diphenhydramine is already banned in many countries, for both OTC and prescription use.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts