Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend when out on the back pourch I got thinking as I watched the squirrels running around. Why not set them up so they come to the same spot every time ? I can sit in my chair and pop them with the .22 then put them in the freezer.

I moved a bird feeder to a different tree and filled it with cheap bird feed.

Out of the last eight days I've shot six squirrels... never two on the same day.

I just clean and skin and into the freezer. They're like dope addicts ..gotta have that bird feed !

It'll be interesting to see if this system could be enough to feed us .

·
(not a) One Man Army...
1,032 Posts
Last weekend when out on the back pourch I got thinking as I watched the squirrels running around. Why not set them up so they come to the same spot every time ? I can sit in my chair and pop them with the .22 then put them in the freezer.

I moved a bird feeder to a different tree and filled it with cheap bird feed.

Out of the last eight days I've shot six squirrels... never two on the same day.

I just clean and skin and into the freezer. They're like dope addicts ..gotta have that bird feed !

It'll be interesting to see if this system could be enough to feed us .
eventually they'll learn I wouldn't recommend doing it every day.
Also you should periodically relocate the feeder...

·
Learning more each day
253 Posts
I killed over 70 that way the 1st year we were on our property. Not only do they eat your bird feed, but can do terrible damage to fruits, nuts, and baby vegetables in the garden. They will pick a young pear, eat a small part of it and drop it to waste on the ground.

I do not like the toughness of squirrel so I cleaned them and gave them to the neighbors. The best way to cook them is cooked slowly with dumplings as the meat is very tough. Enjoy the free meat.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Bird feeders are like meth to a squirrel. At some point you might run low on squirrels depending on the local population and habitat. Now i'm thinking should I carry a squirrel call this fall or a bird feeder in my hunting pack?????

·
FlyLeaf Rocks!!
141 Posts
Yeah, it's the same sort of situation around here with squirrels and chipmunks. They get annoying so my neighbour borrows my pellet gun and takes them all down, the funny thing is though, that now there are even more around :(

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
Hey get a old broomstick, beat it into the ground, nail a nail in the top of it and stick a corn cob on it (or, attach said birdfeeder), then tie about 10 wire nooses around it about 3-4 ft up. The trick is to have enough nooses encircling the broomstick so that they have no choice but to walk through one.

You can set it and catch 2-3 a day easy. It's much quieter than your .22, and it doesn't require but just a few minutes of attention every day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the noose idea, never thought of that. But I find it so satisfying to shoot them! My bird feeder is full of pellet holes. Good times.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you catch any diseases from cleaning squirrels? Are there any sacs or anything that you have to remove or be careful of while cleaning? I have never cleaned one but would like to try. How about cooking them in a pressure cooker with rice? Anyone tried that method?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am sure there is some sort of diseases they have, although I dont know what. All I know is that I live in an urban environment, and with their diet here, I wouldnt dare eat them. Its probably a lot safer in the rural environments.

They do not have any sacs, I skin them and mount them for taxidermy purposes. If you are concerned, just wear gloves when you clean them and be sure to cook them fully. As always with cleaning things, be sure not to rupture intestines or bladder when cleaning or it will contaminate the meat.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank you, FireTiger! I live in the woods so maybe they are ok here in NH.
I might try one soon. I raised some chickens and then cut their heads off but they were stiff and I don't know why so I have not killed anything for meat since that time.

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
I don't think squirrels have any spray sacks or anything, so no worries there. But being a mammel I'de say a squirrel could carry most anything, even rabies. No worries tho 160F kills everything.

That cool bald guy from bizzar foods threw one on a hot bed of coals... hair, guts, head, and even tail, all went on. I noticed when he picked it off the coals and started eating it the head was off, so was the tail, and it was cleaned. Odd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts