Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me being paranoid or is anybody else thinking about this new digital tv regulation I have cable so I am not concerned with getting the converter box. I work in a prison and i know when the tv shw prison break came out they (prison officials) blocked it from the cable feed. So the inmates attached their rabbit ears and watched it anyway. What do we do when we don't have the choice of using rabbit ears anymore. This is just an observation of mine. The analog signal will go out almost 30 days after Barack Hussien Obama Bin Laden is in office (excuse me while I spit).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've already thought about this. I believe there's something really sinister about a government compelling people to get a particular piece of entertainment equipment. I think this little piece of work has a lot to do with the fairness doctrine.

Everything else I think would have to be put in the conspiracy theory section...along with my rant on the subject.

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
It will make the mobile tv in my Highlander obsolete...I'm not too happy about it.
Digital ATSC will not work in a mobile enviroment.
It has to be stationary to keep the signal locked in.
I guess I'll have to get a KVH TracVision $$$$
http://www.kvh.com/Products/Product.asp?id=125
That is very interesting, I had not thought of that.

What will happen w/ all those unused air waves? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

They are the peoples air waves and there are people petitioning to give them back to us.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
My little LCD RCA I've had for years will be junk.
I plan to get a little ATSC portable. The only one I've found so far is this POS from Radio Shack.
I'm hoping Sony or Panasonic will come out with one.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
It will make the mobile tv in my Highlander obsolete...I'm not too happy about it.
Digital ATSC will not work in a mobile enviroment.
It has to be stationary to keep the signal locked in.
I guess I'll have to get a KVH TracVision $$$$
http://www.kvh.com/Products/Product.asp?id=125
NOT TRUE! In reality Digital TV will work much better in a mobile environment. It is not affected by signal fading like analog is, it does not have anything to do with a signal lock as there is no such thing. We have been using digital tv via cell phones for over 5 years without these issues and that is with minimal antennas,

I dont know where you got the idea that Digital TV wont work in mobile environments, but the big Motor Home manufactuers love it, they have been able to do away with the bigger tv antennas that analog required because digital is so much more forgiving.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Its a way to get more money from us. Aswell as a way to control the people. This big HD push maybe its so they can send mind control signals through the air ways. <-(paranoide side). Thiers something behind it more then everyone can get a clean channel. I was in K-mart yesterday looking at it the station look like carp.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
That is very interesting, I had not thought of that.

What will happen w/ all those unused air waves? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

They are the peoples air waves and there are people petitioning to give them back to us.
First off digital works perfectly fine when mobile. as far as the air waves here is whats going to happen:

Digital uses a very narrow part of the bandwidth, TV stations are licensed to a much wider bandwidth, giving them what adds up to substantial space to transmit more digital signals, as in more digital channels, channels they can rent out, Joe the Plumber can have his own channel telling people how to plunge out their toilets inbetween episodes of the three stooges or his own home videos. Now because digital is so precise the current spaces between the analog channels can be filled with other commercial tv stations with their own sub channels. This IS going to happen as all the UHF channels are being moved into the VHF spectrum by law as of the date of full digital implimentation. At that point the FCC is going to be auctioning off lease rights to portions of what is the current UHF TV spectrum. This acution will be worth BILLIONS of dollars. Also in this portion of the airwaves there will be established a national disaster/emergency radio frequency for use by all public sevice agencies nation wide so that communications problems like those that happend during KATRINA can be avoided.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
i always looked at it as a gimmick to make people by either a new Tv or one of those boxes.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
They had a news report on this very subject today. Even though converters are available for most televisions that are not hooked up to cable or satellite, most if not many portables will become useless. The converters require RCA audio/video inputs on the television, and many little battery powered TV's simply don't have it. The one they showed on the report plugged in, but although it had a picture, there was no sound. NOT GOOD for emergency news reports. This also pisses me off...I bought my dad an emergency radio/tv/lantern for Christmas a couple years ago...Soon it will become a crappy radio with a 6" useless TV screen.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
the government is giving vouchers for free converter boxes to anyone. That in itself has my spider sense tingling. the flow of information is being tightly regulated- as is every other aspect of life. in the event of an emergency- local or pirate TV stations would otherwise be able to communicate information the establishment doesn't want widely known.

Reactions: chaosofcreation

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
There's also already the notion that these conversion boxes will be used to spy on us from our own living rooms. Think that's tin-hat material? Ask GOOGLE how they ALREADY figured out how to use your own computer's internal microphone for picking up ambient sounds in your room to tailor advertisements to your specifics (baby crying? you get diaper and formula ads...music playing gets genre specific ads...and I suppose drunken shouting matches will bring ya Jack Daniels ads...):thumb:
see for yourselves...
http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/06/08/google-research-prototypes-ambient-audio-contextual-content/:eek:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The big problem with Digital TV my friends is that it was shoved down our throats without our choice. It IS better, and it is actually cheaper to impliment BUT the manufacturers are using this to force us to buy bigger and better televisions so in the end it is costing us way more than it should. Next, the time frame that it was shoved down our throats and not advertised by congress is down right criminal they gave us four years on it yet the initial package was put in place in 2001, four years earlier. Thats eight years... If they had required broadcasters to simulcast for a full decade they would have saved us consumers billions and not had to underwrite the cost of the converter boxes which would have saved even more money. The digital change over is the result of the television lobby wanting to make MORE money off of advertising, not to mention allowing EVERY station to be able to be their own spanish channel, and japanese, and italian, and french....

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
the government is giving vouchers for free converter boxes to anyone. That in itself has my spider sense tingling. the flow of information is being tightly regulated- as is every other aspect of life. in the event of an emergency- local or pirate TV stations would otherwise be able to communicate information the establishment doesn't want widely known.
What about this...assuming all the networks are going digital...what IF a pirate TV station was to broadcast...This doesn't mean these bandwidths are going away, just that they aren't being used any longer for television. Maybe a good idea to keep a couple of those old sets around, huh?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
those arent for free converters, they are for forty bucks off on a qualifying converter... the cheapest converters Ive found were fifty bucks at wally world...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
What about this...assuming all the networks are going digital...what IF a pirate TV station was to broadcast...This doesn't mean these bandwidths are going away, just that they aren't being used any longer for television. Maybe a good idea to keep a couple of those old sets around, huh?
By federal LAW ALL television broadcast stations MUST transmit in digital as of Feb whatever the exact day is. The grace period to switch over ends at 12 am that day. Anyone caught transmitting an analog signal on those frequencies will be locked up again per federal law... The FCC doesnt play games when people transmit on commercially allocated fequencies.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
There's also already the notion that these conversion boxes will be used to spy on us from our own living rooms. Think that's tin-hat material? Ask GOOGLE how they ALREADY figured out how to use your own computer's internal microphone for picking up ambient sounds in your room to tailor advertisements to your specifics (baby crying? you get diaper and formula ads...music playing gets genre specific ads...and I suppose drunken shouting matches will bring ya Jack Daniels ads...):thumb:
see for yourselves...
http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/06/08/google-research-prototypes-ambient-audio-contextual-content/:eek:
I've tore two totally different types of those converter boxes apart, there is no way that they can transmit a signal back to anywhere. in short it aint gonna happen, not to mention, it wouldnt be worth the effort... the internet already can track your viewing habits through your ISP, they can find out what your interest are without spying on the tv viewing habits of your kids which is really all they would get anyway. You go to the grocery store and use your discount card they see what you buy and target you with product specific coupons there... it's cheaper and easier. TVs no longer accurately reflect the habits of adults, heck people even leave them on as security devices. so that would mess up the data...

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I've tore two totally different types of those converter boxes apart, there is no way that they can transmit a signal back to anywhere. in short it aint gonna happen, not to mention, it wouldnt be worth the effort... the internet already can track your viewing habits through your ISP, they can find out what your interest are without spying on the tv viewing habits of your kids which is really all they would get anyway. You go to the grocery store and use your discount card they see what you buy and target you with product specific coupons there... it's cheaper and easier. TVs no longer accurately reflect the habits of adults, heck people even leave them on as security devices. so that would mess up the data...
I was wondering if anyone had gotten into the converters yet...I agree with you on the ISP and reward card tracking...on my computer I really don't care what "they see", and my reward card was never used as a check cashing ID, so all the information I wrote down on the applications is bogus. I also let people in line without a card use it...Somewhere someone is wondering about the neurotic purchase habits of Rusty Shackleford in Dallas. :D:

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
Mr post nazi Palladin, ATSC digital is broadcast on UHF and is line of site. It's very susceptible to signal drop.
I know you are an expert on everything under the sun so,
If you can show me a mobile ATSC tuner that can maintain reception while in motion I'd sure like to see it.
This new AT&T CruiseCast looks promising
They buffer the video stream from satellite so it does not drop out like ATSC digital broadcast.
http://vimeo.com/2219081
This should be much cheaper and versatile than the KVH if they can get some local content.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts