Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any bugout use, or time to trash them?

My trove is ridiculous. Does a person need a hundred different wall warts?

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,610 Posts
Can't think of one, but you never know when you might be in a position to want TV reception and the only TV available is an old analog set! The changeover was 2006 and I haven't seen a tube monitor/TV in years. Even the thieves 'round these parts won't take'em. Places used to take them for recycling but now, you have to pay THEM to take them. Goodwill won't even take'em. Last one's I had I left on the curb for bulk trash. One got parted out by the local "junkers" and everything got taken by the city on trash day.

Wall warts....Got a collection of them myself. Never know when you might want to wire one up for a specific voltage. They do come in right handy!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I had a box and a CRT tv until last year,no cable,just antenna.
The remote went out,even with new batteries.I looked online to see if I could get a universal remote that would work with it.
This was around Christmas time,and I saw an ad for a flat screen,digital,LED tv for 119$.

The screen is at least 2x as large,but takes up less space and so much lighter.Don't need the box,and extra wires and cables
Don't have the exact numbers,but uses way less elec,and very little heat is produced.
I kept the converter..just in case..tv is gone.
I don't think it will be handy in SHTF for anything other than getting componets from it.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, just wondered if they had a use beyond television.

I'm no guru in this area, for sure, so I thought they might have some kind of a part with multiple uses.

Don't even get me started on the Cat5 crap I have. Gotta lighten my load!

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I have heard "digital to analog converter box" used to describe a couple of different things. One of them is a "box" that will let you connect a vcr to a computer to either watch movies on the computer or convert them to a mp4 format so that you can burn a dvd. Does your box have this capability? If so, it is still likely you can find videotapes around for cheap...you can convert them to dvd format, although would not be as high quality as the professionally made dvd, still would be fun to watch when the world goes to pot...

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my thinking was, if we wake up in 1820, what could be useful? Things in the world still have a-to-d or d-to-a, including your phone. I'm not a prepperhoarder, but this item got me curious, since many of us still have our "free" converter boxes.
I have a cute but useless analog 3" TV with no inputs, a great quality old school big antenna, and these boxes. Maybe I'll take the tv apart and see if I can hook it up to work. :headshake:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts