Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Digital Survival Information Relevant to Your Area

In the Disaster Preparedness General Discussion, I posted about my Survival Manuals in PDF on Phones, Tablets, & USB Flash Drive. Those are all books, manuals, photos etc. that cover all aspects of Survival, with 754 books and 228 photos.
Here I suggest another, smaller, concise set of documents that is specific to your area and your needs. This would provide faster, easier access to vital information when time is of the essence. I will use “your area” to mean the area where you live, the areas you would probably frequent, and adjacent areas you might be forced to travel into.

I suggest that you gather information on things that are more specific to what you would need, and put it all into one or more Digital Documents that you can view on a Smart Phone or Tablet. That would include:
1. Topographical Maps of your area.
2. Maps of Roads and Highways in your area.
3. Street Maps of Cities and Towns in your area.
4. Locations of all Hospitals, LEO, and Schools in your area.
5. Maps in detail of the Rivers, Streams, Lakes, and Ponds in your area, including ‘safe’ water.
6. List of Distances between all significant Locations in your area.
7. Edible and non-edible plants in your area.
8. Natural Medicinal Plants in your area.
9. Poisonous Animals and Insects in your area.
10. Caves in your area that are Habitable or provide Shelter
11. Locations of Resources that may be Abandoned or Salvageable in your area.
12. Separate Manual on all Emergency Medical Information relevant to your area.
13. List of the local Radio Groups, their Frequencies and their Identifying Call Signs.

Suggestions on additional Topics welcome.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You might also add your favorite music. A separate folder with a couple hundred songs won’t take up much space, but may bring some comfort when you are far from home and alone, with headphones if you want to remain quiet. They also might be something a group will enjoy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Digital Survival Information Relevant to Your Area

In the Disaster Preparedness General Discussion, I posted about my Survival Manuals in PDF on Phones, Tablets, & USB Flash Drive. Those are all books, manuals, photos etc. that cover all aspects of Survival, with 754 books and 228 photos.
Here I suggest another, smaller, concise set of documents that is specific to your area and your needs. This would provide faster, easier access to vital information when time is of the essence. I will use “your area” to mean the area where you live, the areas you would probably frequent, and adjacent areas you might be forced to travel into.

I suggest that you gather information on things that are more specific to what you would need, and put it all into one or more Digital Documents that you can view on a Smart Phone or Tablet. That would include:
1. Topographical Maps of your area.
2. Maps of Roads and Highways in your area.
3. Street Maps of Cities and Towns in your area.
4. Locations of all Hospitals, LEO, and Schools in your area.
5. Maps in detail of the Rivers, Streams, Lakes, and Ponds in your area, including ‘safe’ water.
6. List of Distances between all significant Locations in your area.
7. Edible and non-edible plants in your area.
8. Natural Medicinal Plants in your area.
9. Poisonous Animals and Insects in your area.
10. Caves in your area that are Habitable or provide Shelter
11. Locations of Resources that may be Abandoned or Salvageable in your area.
12. Separate Manual on all Emergency Medical Information relevant to your area.
13. List of the local Radio Groups, their Frequencies and their Identifying Call Signs.

Suggestions on additional Topics welcome.
Good suggestion. I have pages and pages of notes from various sources on many of these topics. I'm prepping for grid-down so I print them out because I can't be assured I'll have any way to recharge my iPhone.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestion. I have pages and pages of notes from various sources on many of these topics. I'm prepping for grid-down so I print them out because I can't be assured I'll have any way to recharge my iPhone.
There are solar panel chargers designed just for that sort of thing. There are solar charged power banks about the size of a smart phone. There are also folding solar panels, with two or three panels, that charge a lot faster. These are about 6" x 8" folded.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
There are so many off grid ways to make enough power to charge a phone its not a concern. Too many to list, just choose your favorite.

I like this one a lot as it doesn't need sunlight (a hard to find resource for me)

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,350 Posts
I would add information about high crime areas near you. You may know what areas to avoid but others coming to join your group may not and if something happens to you they will need an alternate source of into

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would add information about high crime areas near you. You may know what areas to avoid but others coming to join your group may not and if something happens to you they will need an alternate source of into
Not sure what you mean by that. Wouldn’t current high crime areas be irrelevant after the SHTF?

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Not sure what you mean by that. Wouldn’t current high crime areas be irrelevant after the SHTF?
The short answer is no.

The answer that better suits you is this: whether you are bugging in, or transient (patrolling, etc) you must be aware of your surroundings and be familiar with all presence you can identify, and all significant landmarks or terrain features within a 3-500 meter radius or at absolute bare minimum, where you lose LOS 360 degrees around your location.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,350 Posts
I don't think so. Many of those areas will be controlled by gangs after SHTF and would need to be avoided and probably watched from a distance as eventually those thugs will run out of supplies and start moving around looking for places to steal more. It's always good to know where not to go.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think so. Many of those areas will be controlled by gangs after SHTF and would need to be avoided and probably watched from a distance as eventually those thugs will run out of supplies and start moving around looking for places to steal more. It's always good to know where not to go.
Thank you. I would distinguish between gang controlled areas and areas where crime is high due to easy burglary, homes with pawnable items, and lower police presence. High crime might simply mean upper middle class neighborhoods. I have not lived in a large city for 25 years.
As for gang controlled areas, since they depend upon theft and extortion, the gangs probably have very little stockpiled supplies. Those would probably be lower class business districts. Those would be wise to avoid. I think that most survivalists would naturally avoid going anywhere near areas like that.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted this in the Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum in order to elicit Wilderness oriented perspectives. Urban survival would be dramatically different. IMO, Wilderness Survivors would be unlikely to wander into any cities far enough to enter Gang Areas. I certainly wouldn’t. If necessary, I might venture near the outskirts of a city, the outer edges of the suburbs. If anything, I might scout cautiously around the perimeter of a small town, checking for signs that a gang has developed there. Small towns in rural areas would not have pre-SHTF gangs. My hometown is less than 18,000, no gang areas.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Digital stuff I great, and I agree with what you said.

I carry all of that on a thumbdrive that goes out with me on every hike. I have a tablet with the same information that goes out less often.
My phone has local maps on it.

Because of the impact of cold weather on batteries ( for example) in my AO ( USA NYS area ), the potential for being really screwed if your digital stuff on your phone is lost if it goes in the drink on a crossing, etc...absolutely critical information needs to be primarily in hard copy form.

Contact information for group members, emergency contacts, personal data like medical allergies, etc. Maps of the area being travelled through...all of that should be in hard copy format, with the digital stuff as a back up at best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts