Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the modern mind rebels at the idea, a digging stick is more efficient than a shovel when it comes to digging out roots. (Shovels move or dirt than they need to.) To make a long digging stick get an ash shovel handle and shave one half of one end away, beveling one side only. Have the bevel parallel with the grain. That way you can turn the stick over and pry with it. You can sharpen the other end and make a spear.

That said, I'd like to fabricate or buy a metal digging stick. Crow bars work very well but they are way to heavy. So it should be crowbarish but as light as wood. Any suggestion?

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Tube is often the way to get rigid structure with light weight. What about a pipe with the tip hammered shut? You need the tube to be a tube to make it strong so you can not flatten too much. However, you might be able to run a dent up the side for a foot, or so, to get a sort of flat spot to wok the roots with. Steel would be stronger but aluminum would be a lot lighter if it would do the job.

$0.02

·
Free
32 Posts
I am thinking of making a multi-purpose stick as well.

I am going to try tulip poplar or another hardwood and make one about 26" long, digging stick bevel on one end. I train in escrima stick fighting, so that would be it's other purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts