Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your bug out bag philosophy? In my experience, there are 3 major ones.

1. I'll use it to get to a shelter of some sort, preferably my house, if not a backup shelter I know in advance.
2. Between 1 and 2.
3. I'll use it to go to the wilderness and live there.

Personally 3 doesn't make sense unless a long term SHTF happened.
Bonus: How much does your BOB weigh?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,666 Posts
I started out think that I did not need one. I moved out of the city 25 years to a rural area of the high desert. I work about ten miles away from home and rarely travel any more. I can walk or bike home in a few hours as long as I carry water.

I am now thinking that while unlikely, their are a few scenarios where I'd have to pack and leave the house in a big hurry. Having to leave for just a few days seems a lot less likely than it may to folks still living in suburbia.

So I am now focusing on storing water, camping gear, and food in my primary vehicle. Enough food for 30 days at least.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
1, 1, 1, and 1.

2 is not a viable long term option in any scenario I could imagine. Try to picture ten of millions of people trying it all at once. Maybe if you turned cannibal.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
My BOB is packed as not to limit me to only being useful for a 72 hr point to point trek. It may very well have to serve as an INCH bag. I think it's poor planning to set yourself up for survival only if you can make it to your BOL.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
#1 will be used 99.99% of the time.

The remaining .001 will be for what happened during the middle ages with the Black Death, where at least 33% of the population died.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think we are more likely to need to leave our house for a few days to a week due to a local disaster or potential for one, land in a hotel and go back. Co-worker of mine who just bought a house had to during the last ice storm when his whole neighborhood lost power for a week for example.
So I have a BOB like we normally think of that I'd put on my back and take but also have a suitcase with toiletry kit that I rotate supplies through so I would take that too so I can live out of a hotel for a week or so if needed.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
532 Posts
1. GHB to sustain me for up to 6 days in order to get back to my primary residence which is my prime BOL.
2. BOB to sustain me to another 12-24 days if I am forced to leave prime BOL

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we are more likely to need to leave our house for a few days to a week due to a local disaster or potential for one, land in a hotel and go back. Co-worker of mine who just bought a house had to during the last ice storm when his whole neighborhood lost power for a week for example.
So I have a BOB like we normally think of that I'd put on my back and take but also have a suitcase with toiletry kit that I rotate supplies through so I would take that too so I can live out of a hotel for a week or so if needed.
Do you plan to go by car?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Do you plan to go by car?
Family of 4, two being pre-school yes, they are not going to be able to walk more than a couple miles. We've taken them on a bicycle 20 miles so far.

Do a risk assessment: I don't yet have a generator, but live in a newer neighborhood with underground lines right next to a 10k employee office and 1/4 mile long mall so I'm right next to a major distribution station, power won't be out for long, if it is we bug out to a hotel just like my co-worker did a couple months ago.
House fire, tornado, flood, etc we bug out by vehicle, same way people did for hurricane katrina.
All those have a higher probability than the end of the world where we have to walk away with just our bobs no our backs.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
I hate when people say an INCH bag doesn't make sense. In the 1800's people did it all the time with less. It is totally possible. If I didn't have a family to support and bills to pay I would do it just to prove those nay sayers wrong.

Hunters and trappers, indians, and eskimos have done it for thousands of years. What makes you think we can't. The pack lets you carry the tools you need to create stuff. Shelters, chairs, tables can all come from that.

It is more of what is in your mind than what is in your pack that matters.

Once people realize that CAN'T isn't a real word then you can do anything.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
in the 1800;s you did have miles and miles of land and wild growing food and animals to hunt. Now a days most of the land is owned, paved over, etc.
There are some people who still live that way, mostly in big cities or travelers. They live out of their backpack, bank online so they can pay their bills from anywhere and pay cash to people to sleep on their couch for a week. They make income by writing or blogging or working short contract jobs.
So yes it can still be done just not exactly the same way as back then.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Definately #1. Its there to get me back to my house.

Wieght is down to 26lbs which is very manageable. Had it up to 35lbs initially and I realized that was too much for my old back.

·
SURVIVALISM IS A IFESTYLE
Better than Most but Not the Best
254 Posts
I run an urban low profile bag.
Here is the contents:
Camel back type bladder
Water bottle
granola bars
basic Toiletries
Passport
cash
credit card
debit card
pistol
loaded mags
binoculars
first aid kit
Small Tool Kit
Maps

If I need anything more substantial, I have it in the car.

·
Banned
28 Posts
#3.

I'll wait and build a more permanent shelter after the dust settles. Some people seem to think that everything will go according to plan. Someone or some group may have already taken your pre-prepared, pre-stocked BOL. Then what?

There are no certainties.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll prep for the 99.9% situation. If a 0.01% situation develops...well, I don't think I would want to be around for long...cuz that is not living. That is existing...big difference. So, that I will leave in God's hands.

So, a rocking chair on the porch, a steak in my belly, and ol' Mossy Burgensmith and her screaming sisters by my side will do for the second scenario.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.