Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm looking to get another knife. I have been reading all theses sites that make. Some of the knifes that the offer come in two styles a defensive and a tactical. To me it seems it doesn't make a difference, by the looks of it. The tactical forms seem to be only an inch or so longer. Does it REALLY make that much of a difference? And are the serrated edges worth it? I use to carry a folding Buck Mayo (junk) but that waste of money broke. The whole thing just fell apart. I tried to screw it back together and it just kept coming apart. Never tightened or made the blade snug and the screw kept falling out, so I'm just looking for a fixed blade now.
I'm looking at the Ka Bar TDI Law Enforcement but its made in Taiwan. I'm trying to find one similar made in the U.S.A.. I have my Folding Buck and Leatherman, but they take to long to take out in a hurry.

Thanks

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Now days tactical seams to be more mall ninja stuff then practical. I have seen so many things put on guns packs ect that people could not even use there weapon like it was ment to. If you cant hold your weapon up you maight be a mall ninja. Also that wasnt meant twords you just the word tactical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok then its a waste to go for the "tactical" version when the regular version would suffice. I figured that, but just wanted some clarification just in case I was missing something. Thanks for clearing things up.

·
Happy to be here!
4,987 Posts
I've always had good luck with the CRKT brand or Spyderco if you feel like spending more money. Good luck finding one made in America.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Ignore the "names", flash and flair and get one that fits YOUR needs.

I have a CQC7 and a first generation spyderco that I can carry in the US, but a lot of places in the world frown on the pocket clip knives or anything that locks open (seriously)

You have to adapt.

A 30.00 CRKT will serve a casual user very well...

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
I think a knife is a knife. Get something that feels comfortable, is the appropriate size for your needs, and make sure it would slip out of your hand. If it stabs then it stabs.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
This is part of my rant from this thread Tomahawks:

That's the rub...what makes one thing tactical and another not and why I put the word in “quotation marks”!

How does the tactics of taking a village or building or waging a war apply to a piece of equipment…I hate the word, even more then survival as it can at least be applied to some items like kits, food, supplies…

What makes a knife tactical as compared to survival as compared to regular plain ordinary knife...blade length, blade finish, handle material, serrations on the spine, what?

Hide-away knives (HAKs) are just that, neck knives are just that, a dagger or a stiletto or a chute knife are just that but when does a Bowie go from being a Bowie to a fighting knife to a tactical knife…the first is easy, when you use it in a fight but the tactical? Then again what makes a Bowie a Bowie and not just a large clip point?

Excellent example is the Marine Corps Fighting knife made by Ka-Bar or any number of other makers…It says it’s a fighting knife not tactical or survival…Another is the Ontario RAT series, what makes the 7” bladed knife a survival knife and not a tactical knife or a fighting knife…

I’ve asked this a few times…Could somebody please tell me what tactical is?
The big thing is, and you only touched on it, is what is the intended purpose of the knife as that is what will govern the type of knife you'll need...

What is fighting but both offensive and defensive so how can a knife be either but has to be both?

Longer blades mean you're farther away from the other's blade which makes them have to stretch to reach you and hopefully puts them off balance and provides an opening for you to strike...Longer blades also mean more weight that you have to try to stop once started, heavier means harder to reverse direction in parrying or slashes...

You want a knife to stab somebody with -- like on a sentry removal, then try this on your own...Take your knife to the butchers and ask if you could stab a hanging side of beef...Grip your knife and now stab it hard because you have to get to the other side of the carcass...You'll now know what stabbing a man feels like and if your knife designer knows anything about knife use...You see, unless you have some sort of guard at the bottom of the blade, your hand will continue sliding forward and will get sliced open by your own blade...If you get to the other side and do so unscathed then you have a fairly good fighting knife...

This is a good compromise design made by S.W. Bladecrafts

Compromise because a fighting knife will normally have quillions (guards/bars) on both sides of the handle where this one, like lots of hunting knives has only the bottom one...

A defensive knife usually means a small, hideaway knife like a neck or HAK something like the excellent Ka-Bar TDI you mentioned…This knife was primarily designed for a police officer as a small, unobtrusive, non offensive, knife that they could employ as a offen/defensive tool against a grappling felon or in a situation where a knife is required quickly, like cutting a seat belt (which the serrations excel at)…

I prefer to have a plain blade and have the serrations on the spine, (the near full length on the spine so they can be used as a saw for wood or metal) as I don’t see myself cutting anyone out of their seat belts and I have a belt cutter/window breaker instrument mounted to the steering column of all the family’s vehicles for our own use if necessary…

Try looking at karambit knives from whence the TDI came from...

But that is all moot when local laws intervene regarding the type/size of knife you can or can’t carry…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts