Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say I go on a day hike one day. The next weekend I go for an over night camping trip.

The gear that I bring between the two trips equals to a hammock, poncho liner, one more meal, hygiene bag and maybe a change of socks or shirt.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I have what I call a day pack (as you know) but it is to let me SURVIVE for a day (e.g. 24 hours). In truth it would probably last me a few days given my skills. I have enough food and water for a day. A lot of toys to get me out of a jam (GPS, flashlight, glow stick, compass, knife). I have enough shelter to survive the night (e.g. disposable poncho, military poncho, hat, gloves, fire starters, etc).

With that said, is that what I pack when I go camping for the night? NO! The day pack will allow me to survive, but when I want to camp for the night I bring my camping back pack. This has everything I need to camp comfortably for several days. Hammock, stove, 3 days food, water filter, clothes, etc. So why carry the "day pack"? Because if I just want to go walking in the woods for about 4 hours, I don't want to carry my full pack. I want something light, but will have enough in it to help me out if I get into trouble.

That is the difference of the two to me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To me they are different scopes of variations in any particular ruck.

Weight, longevity of supplies and degree of comfort provided.

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
Day hikes and camping are like field exercises for my BOB. They allow me to see it's strengths and weaknesses, and also allows me to familiarize myself with the equipment I've packed. My BOB goes with me for both, as it's all I'll need in a pack, and no less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts