Survivalist Forum banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
It's about to take an even worse turn, drastically. Scuttlebutt is that stations in the northeast will start simply running out as early as next week. When that happens, gas will also start running out, the shelves will become more bare with greater regularity, etc.
NE....................Well, hopefully DC is the first to run out if it does start.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
3,108 Posts
Dieselpocalypse?

Fuelpunk?

Just read a Bloomberg article... billionaire "whose company owns and operates 350 gas stations" predicts the shortage may be worse during the summer...

Sez gas will not be scarce, just expensive...

Gasoline inventories have also fallen as US refineries maximized diesel production this spring to meet the world’s sudden shortfall

The East Coast suffered a particular blow after Philadelphia Energy Solutions permanently closed its refinery, which supplied the entire East Coast, in 2019 following an explosion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The freight rates did skyrocket for awile....I took a load to Seattle out of Chicago that paid 12 grand. I literally could have dead headed back to chi town and still turned a ridiculous profit.

The high dollar freight is still out there but unfortunately it's mostly east/north east short hauls that are paying big. For awile I could go practically anywhere and find good rates. That's ending quickly. Worse, the cost of fuel is highest where the loads are paying the least.

Budweiser loads ( rarely good anyway ) are barely breaking a dollar a mile on grossed out heavy loads out of Denver. Won't touch that garbage.
BUT !!! Would you haul Coors for that?

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I keep telling people that face to face, and most of them kind of go blank as though ignoring this looming problem will make it go away.
When all those north easterners are a bit chilly in in the winter because of oil heat, diesel, kerosene are all of the similar blend, they won't be able to ignore it after that.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Look out if Europe ever follows through with weaning itself off of Russian oil and gas..you think fuel prices are high now
The irony is if it happened fuel prices could hit lows in the the US.

There's a few economic reasons, but congress has already passed a bill that gives the POTUS the authority to stop fuel exports. If that happened in the US there would be a glut and we would not be able to sell on the open market.

·
Registered
17,867 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah they usually are pretty efficient, I'll give em that but their rates generally suck. Least they do out of Denver anyway. I've got plenty of options out of either Columbus or St Louie that I don't have to worry. For some reason I seem to always have trouble getting anything worthwhile out of Denver.

10 4 on the fuel. Gotta be full before bud loads cuz they scale you empty and load every pound they can get away with.

Snap-on and Cat loads are paying well. Paper loads are still going pretty steady.
Could be much worse. Look at my mpg so far today.
View attachment 440214
glad to see your back!

2,588 Posts
What would happen to consumption if people would just slow down and drive like fuel is expensive? I have a pickup that gets **** gas mileage. It sits in the yard. I have a Ford Fiesta that gets far beyond its internet claimed MPG.
It’s a 5 speed and I know how to drive it. “Hyper miling it” granny starts… driving 50 mph gets me to 47.5 mpg.Yep I’m “that person”… I will speed up if I’m slowing traffic… but I slow down when I’m on a dual lane. Go around me! It has cruse control that maintains based on speed of course. I wish I could make jt maintain based on RPM’s so it wouldn’t gun the motor on all small hills. People driving F250’s blow by me like I’m sitting still. It’s as if they are trying to drain the tank ASAP. I see people idling their vehicles for no reason. People drive whatever big vehicle they have rather than drive their smaller humiliating **** box car.
My commute is 50 miles to work. If gas goes to $10/gal I’ll survive. A coworker of mine drives a GMC 3500 diesel 30 miles each way even though he has other options.”I like my truck” Just got to be the big man and drive the big truck hauling nothing but his fat ass. I said if you like it park it and look at it, sit in it.. save miles on it. Can’t do it.
Another coworker and his wife both work the same schedule and drive separate vehicles. His is a pickup that gets about 15mpg at most.
3 years ago before we moved I negotiated with my employer to work 4 days per week instead of 5. I stay at my deceased father’s house one night a week so I drive 3 round trips of 100 miles per week. I wanted that arrangement even when gas was cheap.
I bought the used Fiesta at the same time.
I can sell it now for way more than I paid for it even after doubling its mileage.
I can also afford to drive whatever I want and pay for the fuel.. but I don’t. I don’t need to prove anything to anybody.
While I’m bitching… I get a completely different experience driving the truck verses the little car. While in the car people are far more likely to pull in front of me, less inclined to allow me to merge.
I’ve seen these gas crunches come and go buy this one is different so far because it hasn’t changed peoples driving habits at all.
A little of this is self inflicted.
Now I’m going to pull out the gas cans and hoard some gas incase things get tight.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I'll run across a idling car or pickup sitting in a grocers lot numerous times.
Hot or cold weather related I think.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts