Survivalist Forum banner
81 - 100 of 157 Posts

Registered
I retired from trucking in 2016. The KW I drove had dual 120 tanks. I usually filled the 75g reefer tank while I fueled. If I put in 50, + the 240, at a approximate $3.40 price back then, that would total $986.00 6 years ago.
Today, if I filled at the nearest diesel pump in a small town 8 miles away at their current $5.49 per gallon, that would total $1592.10
There is no way paying loads have come up to meet these fuel costs today. Fuel surcharges have to be added to fuel costs, and someone somewhere has to be eating some fuel costs, which is the owner/owners of the truck delivering your food and those TV's in front of your recliner.
That KW I drove averaged 6 mpg. I pulled a lot of hills in Arkansas, which lowered that mpg tremendously.
The freight rates did skyrocket for awile....I took a load to Seattle out of Chicago that paid 12 grand. I literally could have dead headed back to chi town and still turned a ridiculous profit.

The high dollar freight is still out there but unfortunately it's mostly east/north east short hauls that are paying big. For awile I could go practically anywhere and find good rates. That's ending quickly. Worse, the cost of fuel is highest where the loads are paying the least.

Budweiser loads ( rarely good anyway ) are barely breaking a dollar a mile on grossed out heavy loads out of Denver. Won't touch that garbage.

Registered
We'd pick up a Bud load on occasion, using it to get somewhere else for a better load.
Buds always seemed to load quickly and efficient. Never had to go back and shuffle a load or remove any. They always got my loads spot on. And yea, I was right at 80 pulling out.

One thing I learned right off with Bud loads, fuel up before entering. 馃槀
We used the Columbus, St Louis and Houston breweries mainly.

MyPrepperLife

Registered
We'd pick up a Bud load on occasion, using it to get somewhere else for a better load.
Buds always seemed to load quickly and efficient. Never had to go back and shuffle a load or remove any. They always got my loads spot on. And yea, I was right at 80 pulling out.

One thing I learned right off with Bud loads, fuel up before entering. 馃槀
We used the Columbus, St Louis and Houston breweries mainly.
Yeah they usually are pretty efficient, I'll give em that but their rates generally suck. Least they do out of Denver anyway. I've got plenty of options out of either Columbus or St Louie that I don't have to worry. For some reason I seem to always have trouble getting anything worthwhile out of Denver.

10 4 on the fuel. Gotta be full before bud loads cuz they scale you empty and load every pound they can get away with.

Snap-on and Cat loads are paying well. Paper loads are still going pretty steady.

Registered
Yeah they usually are pretty efficient, I'll give em that but their rates generally suck. Least they do out of Denver anyway. I've got plenty of options out of either Columbus or St Louie that I don't have to worry. For some reason I seem to always have trouble getting anything worthwhile out of Denver.

10 4 on the fuel. Gotta be full before bud loads cuz they scale you empty and load every pound they can get away with.

Snap-on and Cat loads are paying well. Paper loads are still going pretty steady.
I am reading that trucking is slowing (from a very high level) and that we may be in the early innings of a major slowdown in the industry. That the way it looks to you?

Registered
I am reading that trucking is slowing (from a very high level) and that we may be in the early innings of a major slowdown in the industry. That the way it looks to you?
Haven't noticed anything major yet. The trucking industry has been in shortage mode for well over a decade now anyway. Lost a bunch during the riots and covid.

I will say this: if the FMCSA gets its way and governs all big rigs down to 65mph like they want there will be one helluva shortage.

Personally I think that's their plan anyway. Drive out the ornery owner OPs that actually stand up for liberty and freedom and import more cheap labor from the third world to fill the gaps.

I know I'll be throwing in the towel if they pass it. E logs and GPS trackers are quite bad enough....65 mph governed...nope. I'll retire, thank you very much.

Sick of big govt alphabet soup agencies ( DOT, homeland, tsa, and fmcsa ) jacking around with how I've made my living for over 30 years.

Registered
Sick of big govt alphabet soup agencies ( DOT, homeland, tsa, and fmcsa ) jacking around with how I've made my living for over 30 years.
I think just about all of us could say that.

Happy to be here!
All right, so I read that article and it had a lot of fancy language in it. It looked like it said the gas and diesel shortages the world is currently experiencing are completely self-induced by the oil industry. And that very same oil industry is now making record profits because of increased demand. Am I getting that right?

Premium Member
All right, so I read that article and it had a lot of fancy language in it. It looked like it said the gas and diesel shortages the world is currently experiencing are completely self-induced by the oil industry. And that very same oil industry is now making record profits because of increased demand. Am I getting that right?
Think of it this way:
Too much money chasing too few resources leads to inflated prices.. and remember, energy companies have to pay the same prices for fuel we do in their day to day operations.

Registered
Think of it this way:
Too much money chasing too few resources leads to inflated prices.. and remember, energy companies have to pay the same prices for fuel we do in their day to day operations.
Also, as in many other industries like travel and restaurants, the oil industry had major losses in 2020 as no one was buying gas and barrels hit a NEGTIVE 36$ sometime in mid 2020, this resulted in huge loses and many bankrupcies so those who survived are now trying to make up for the loses by bumping up prices, hence record profits in the oil industry and prices at the pump way higher then they were when oil was more expansive in the past.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts