Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some timber cleared at the homestead by a logging company, now the tree stumps have to be dealt with.

The largest stump is maybe 30 inches across, while most of them are around 12 inches across.

A buddy of mine suggested I use a chainsaw to cut groves into the tree stump, which I will probably do.

I also thought about using a 1 inch paddle bit to drill holes into the stump, then fill the holes with either diesel or kerosene. Let the fuel soak into the stump, then build a fire on top of the stump.

·
Forum Administrator
16,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure it matters much but I would use kerosene.
A local fuel supplier sells 5 gallon buckets of kerosene.

I might pick up a bucket for burning the stumps out.

The plan is to start the stumps burning friday evening, and burn them all weekend through sunday. There are probably close to 2 dozen stumps that need to be burned.

One part of the land that was cut had been left to grow up for a couple of decades. Some of the pine trees were right next to each other. I might be able to burn 3 or 4 stumps with a single fire.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried burning out stumps that large with diesel..... little burning switched it up to cutting the stump as close to the ground as possible drilling the largest holes possible about 8 inches down and then filling the hole with used motor and gear oil.

I kept topping the oil off for a week and then dropped a half dozen match light charcoal briqquettes into the hole and lit it. Burned the stumps all the way out through the largest roots.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Drill a hole down the center (as deep as you can) and pour old oil down in the hole (I use transmission fluid because it burns hotter). After that, just build you a burn pile to burn over the top of it and let nature take it's course. I've done this many times and it works great. The only wood I found it didn't work too well on, is cedar.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've used the top down method many times; though when I can I dig under the stump(s) and then build my fire. Works really well on the larger (36"+) stumps.
Even though I'm "organic", I'm not opposed to disposing of my used fluids as outlined above.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
We have a couple of stumps we'd like to burn out as well, but they are 10 to 12 feet from a structure and was always worried about soaking them with kerosene and burning them.

How much of a threat does this method pose to the structure?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've done the engine oil or diesel thing before. My dad said you could get some high nitrogen fertilizer and dump on stumps and they'd rot. We did that for one that was close to the garage and it kinda worked over a year or two.

I think for a couple dozen I'd consider a tractor or bulldozer or something!

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I've done the engine oil or diesel thing before. My dad said you could get some high nitrogen fertilizer and dump on stumps and they'd rot. We did that for one that was close to the garage and it kinda worked over a year or two.

I think for a couple dozen I'd consider a tractor or bulldozer or something!
I'd be careful of that method. I've known people to do that and the dern tree started sprouting limbs and roots were starting to grow and sprout new trees.

If you are worried about fires because of a structure (which I can understand since I've seen roots burn underground for 20-30 feet away from the stump), I would do one of two things:

1. I would bury copper under the tree to kill the roots and stump. Afterwards, use any root rotting method you want (will take a couple of years). Once the stump is dead, you could probably build a small controllable fire however to get rid of it.

2. Hire someone to grind the stump for you. Typically they charge about 50 bucks a stump and it will keep you from having to wait a couple of years for mother nature to do it for you (or from you burning your house down).

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Drill a hole down the center (as deep as you can) and pour old oil down in the hole (I use transmission fluid because it burns hotter). After that, just build you a burn pile to burn over the top of it and let nature take it's course. I've done this many times and it works great. The only wood I found it didn't work too well on, is cedar.
:thumb: my advice as well take the left over crap in piles and pile it up and light

Reactions: barnetmill

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'd be careful of that method. I've known people to do that and the dern tree started sprouting limbs and roots were starting to grow and sprout new trees.

If you are worried about fires because of a structure (which I can understand since I've seen roots burn underground for 20-30 feet away from the stump), I would do one of two things:

1. I would bury copper under the tree to kill the roots and stump. Afterwards, use any root rotting method you want (will take a couple of years). Once the stump is dead, you could probably build a small controllable fire however to get rid of it.

2. Hire someone to grind the stump for you. Typically they charge about 50 bucks a stump and it will keep you from having to wait a couple of years for mother nature to do it for you (or from you burning your house down).
I hail from a farm family. I'm not talking the stuff you get at Home Depot :eek:

I agree with you, though. A stump grinder would be better and faster.

·
Be Prepared
1,087 Posts
I'm always looking for a use for used motor oil so I would drill some deep holes in the stumps and soak the oil into the holes for a few days then build a fire over it. If you need something a little more flammable than used motor oil you can mix the oil with diesel fuel or kerosene.

I've ground out hundreds of stumps with a stump grinder and wouldn't hesitate to go that route either. I don't know about where you live but you can rent them for the day or weekend. If you rent a machine get the largest one they have because it will make the job much quicker and easier that way.

If you hire someone to grind your stumps I would expect to be charged about $5.00 to $7.00 / inch in stump diameter. The machine will take the stump about a foot below the surface where it is out of the way.

All depends on your finances I guess.

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
We always used Varsol and kero #1 to control the Flashpoint and slow the burn time down to help the wet wood have a chance to catch.

Whenever we had stumps to close to the Woodline or a Burn ban was on, we would string up temporary electric fencing like a pen to keep animals in and take a power post hole auger and drill holes down beside the roots on at least 4 sides of the stump, then when we get down about 3-1/2 feet we pour cracked corn soaked in water down in the holes and Borrow Pigs or larger Hogs to place in the wire pens and they would root up the entire stump going after the corn. We did that when we were digging up Cotton wood stumps when I lived in Grand Prairie.

·
Registered
696 Posts
#1 lesson to be learned... if you want land cleared to use, don't let a logging company come in and cut the trees off the stumps. Either find somebody with an excavator or dozer that will use the tree as leverage to pop the stump out and cut it off later, or hire somebody to do the same and sell the wood yourself. Much cheaper and cleaner in the long run.
And as for the diesel or kerosene, I'd try either one with lots of brush and whatnot *COUGH COUGH* used tires *ACHOO!*.and hope for the best.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
Once the tree is dead, drill holes and poor in saltpeter (stump remover).

Let is set for 6 months or so. The saltpeter will act as an oxidizer. Add just enough diesel to start the fire. The wood will burn nicely.

(If the stump is not dead, the saltpeter will act as a fertilizer. . . . and keep it alive)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts