Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Isaiah 40:31
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was looking around online for a Maxpedition bag I've had my eye on, I came across a site selling them for about seven bucks less than the official Maxpedition website. I got greedy and placed my order. I should have done my research. Come to find out, the site I ordered from is notorious for not shipping stuff and refusing the cancel orders. Apparently the way it works is they say they haven't shipped the product, say they are cancelling and refunding, send your item out anyway, and then you have to pay to send the package back AND a restocking fee.

I ended up sending them a cancellation e-mail and plan on calling them on Monday, although it seems my efforts will be in vain. Now I'm worried. I've spent over $100 between both orders and if this vendor doesn't refund the money in a timely fashion we may be in a bit of a pinch. Not a massive pinch, but my husband certainly won't be pleased. :mad: How difficult is it to dispute a credit card transaction if you cancel an order before it ships?

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot! I forgot Monday is a holiday. I'll have to wait until Tuesday. The company is CopsPlus. Apparently they are merely a webpage that takes orders and sends them electronically to various distribution locations. I got the impression they were an actual LEO supplier for tactical gear who also sold retail to the general public.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Come to find out, the site I ordered from is notorious for not shipping stuff and refusing the cancel orders. Apparently the way it works is they say they haven't shipped the product, say they are cancelling and refunding, send your item out anyway, and then you have to pay to send the package back AND a restocking fee.
Once I received the word they are canceling and refunding the money to my credit card, I would copy this letter/email to my credit card company. After the transaction is canceled, you have no reason to communicate with the company anymore. Keep your bank informed if you do not receive the refund.

If you do receive the merchandise in the mail, you have no obligation to pay any shipping or restocking fees (the transaction was canceled). Keep it unless they send a prepaid postage authorization. I have a rule that anything that sits in my home for over 3 days becomes my property :D:

You may want to cancel that credit card and have a new number issued. This doesn't cost any money and would afford you a bit of extra protection.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
Let me guess, Botach? I made the same mistake with them by not doing my homework too. About the only thing you can do is talk to your bank. Botach gets chargebacks all the time. Why their credit card processors don't drop them is a mystery to me.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Apparently the way it works is they say they haven't shipped the product, say they are cancelling and refunding, send your item out anyway, and then you have to pay to send the package back AND a restocking fee.
This doesn't make sense. If they send the item (that you apparently wanted in the first place), then what's the problem? And if you change your mind and send it back, why should you not pay the shipping & fees?

If you are implying it's some kind of scam, what advantage is there to saying they are canceling your order, then send it anyway just to force you to send it back? No one makes money off of restocking fees.

Have they actually told you the shipping is delayed, or are you going on something you heard?

By the way, websites that take orders and electronically send them to a fulfillment center are known as drop shippers. Many if not most online retailers use this method and there is nothing inherently dishonest about it.

I say give them a chance to make good on the deal before pulling the alarm.

~Tevin~

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm confused too. Is it that you were mislead by the company and the wait for shipment is too long?

Many companies don't hold any inventory and only order from the manufacturer after an order is placed by a customer. They won't necessarily tell you this up front, but after you order you find out it will take 2-3 weeks to ship. I find this to be a sleazy way to do business.

Even though it costs me more to have all my products on hand, I do it. I have never drop shipped any of my products. Some don't have a problem with that. Those who appreciate good customer service do.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This doesn't make sense. If they send the item (that you apparently wanted in the first place), then what's the problem? And if you change your mind and send it back, why should you not pay the shipping & fees?
I agree with you. My concern was that I started reading from online reviews on various business related websites that this company isn't the most savory to do business with and that their customer service is appalling. one guy even claimed he got a fake Maglite, but there's no way of actually substantiating that particular claim. I got a little nervous about completing the transaction with this company, so I wanted to get out while I still could and place an order for the same product through a company I know to be reputable.

If you are implying it's some kind of scam, what advantage is there to saying they are canceling your order, then send it anyway just to force you to send it back? No one makes money off of restocking fees.
I don't think it's so much a scam, like a bait and switch, but I think they just have very poor business related skills and bank on you simply shrugging your shoulders, keeping the product (albeit the one they claimed was in stock, yet took you four months to receive) and conceding to pay for it - which, by all means, you should if you decide to not send the product back.

Have they actually told you the shipping is delayed, or are you going on something you heard?
Honestly, I'm going on reviews of the vendor I've read online. While I don't think they're crooks, they don't seem very interested in establishing a repeated customer base. I'm basically just hoping for the best at this point.

By the way, websites that take orders and electronically send them to a fulfillment center are known as drop shippers. Many if not most online retailers use this method and there is nothing inherently dishonest about it.
I understand that. Believe me, I've completed a good many online transactions through companies that rely on fulfillment centers. And I've had stuff come up like I accidentally ordered something in the wrong size or color or I meant to order something different and tried to cancel the order and have usually been told that if the order isn't cancelled within two hours after hitting "submit" that really the best they could do would be to e-mail me a return shipping label and for me to just slap it on the box and send it right back with the delivery person. I've dealt with similar systems with even the most reputable online vendors. I think I was more concerned with the people who said they dealt with six month waits for something to ship and not being able to get a single friendly, helpful rep to assist them.

I say give them a chance to make good on the deal before pulling the alarm.

~Tevin~
That's what I've decided to do. I mean, if they go ahead and cancel the order, as per my e-mail, then that's fine. But if they ship it anyway, my husband said he's been wanting the same bag to take hiking when we go, so it will all come out in the wash. Now it's just seeing how long it takes to ship. Who knows? They may do alright. I just know this isn't one of those companies that comes very highly recommended in tactical discussion circles.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
.. How difficult is it to dispute a credit card transaction if you cancel an order before it ships?
Not to hard. If the charge is processed already, it shouldn't be hard to get a "charge back". You just have to give them an explanation. But usually (not all the time) if there is a charge, it means it shipped. So give it some time to see if it works out.

But there is also something called a "pre-authorization" or "authorization hold". That is where companies run your card and run a check to see if you have enough credit to make the purchase. It then earmarks that money without charging it until the order is processed. If the order is in this stage, you can also tell the CC company to decline that charge and the hold on the purchase amount will be released in a few days.

If there is nothing pre-aurthorized, held, or charged... it probably means that the company has not yet done a thing with your order. If that is the case, you can ask the CC company to refuse all charges from XYZ certain company. Many can do this.

·
Is back.
548 Posts
I don't get what you guys don't understand. What I got from this is that they say the won't ship it for whatever reason, and you will be refunded your $$. so then you go out and buy it somewhere else. when they do ship it you don't want it anymore, and you send it back, but they charge you for shipping and restocking even after they said they wouldn't send it, so you end up paying $20 both ways for shipping and $20 to restock, thats $60, on a product you don't have. of course you could keep it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
always use a visa/MC for net transactions if you have a problem it's Visa problem call them and say you didn't get the product as promised and the company is uncooperative and challenge the charge ! You will win and the company will loose

I've purchased maxpidition stuff off amazon some at great prices

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
EM Gear is one of the vendors on this site. Got mine from them and they were fantastic on everything.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update. I received a cancellation e-mail from CopsPlus on the 5th and they refunded my money on the 10th, so not bad. After reading the horror stories I figured I'd never see that money again, but they made good on their word. Now, with the whole backorder issues I probably will not order from them in the future (I've actually found most everything I need is sold at my local Army/Navy surplus store), but it was still a decent experience.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It's illegal to charge without having it shipped. Doesn't matter if it's on backorder or not. Unless it's newegg and their receive it the next day packages, I always ring up the actual shipper, ups etc, and confirm the tracking of it. They confirm then all should be well. But if the money's missing and there is no confirmation that is fraud.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For what it's worth, I've ordered from CopsPlus before and didn't have any issues. Not saying I recommend them, as their customer service was a bit below par, but I got the products as described.

·
The Cat's Pajamas
407 Posts
Any specific sites to avoid for fraud/bad business reasons? Like shopping online but unfamiliar sites make me nervous.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts