Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we're supposed to be hunkering down, but we're preppers so we're always prepared to go wether be it to our BOL, to a family member, or whatever second location that we have. My question is, did you repack your BOB to fit your current needs or do you now have two BOBs? I'm trying to figure out if I should completely separate our new goods (obtained for COVID) into its own BOB or to incorporate them into our existing BOBs or to just keep them in our at home first aid kit (the more extensive supply not the smaller first aid bag)?

What have you done personally? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Was just thinking about this today, but more from an EDC perspective, which at this point can be looked at similarly to a BOB, what with all the talk of stuff closing left and right.

Move up from a medium size camelback type backpack to a medium backpack and added in my half face P100 respirator, some extra sealed filters, some eye protection, a second bandana and a scarf, in addition to all the other things normal in there.

Going to add an alcohol or bleach spray bottle to the vehicle today.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Was just thinking about this today, but more from an EDC perspective, which at this point can be looked at similarly to a BOB, what with all the talk of stuff closing left and right.

Move up from a medium size camelback type backpack to a medium backpack and added in my half face P100 respirator, some extra sealed filters, some eye protection, a second bandana and a scarf, in addition to all the other things normal in there.

Going to add an alcohol or bleach spray bottle to the vehicle today.
Thank you!! Good point about our EDCs too. My current EDC is a water resistant backpack, which I figured is best at not absorbing droplets that could contain other people's viruses (Yuck!) as this virus travels most through the droplets from sick people's coughing/sneezing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you!! Good point about our EDCs too. My current EDC is a water resistant backpack, which I figured is best at not absorbing droplets that could contain other people's viruses (Yuck!) as this virus travels most through the droplets from sick people's coughing/sneezing.
That is probably smart from the idea of particle absorption standpoint, something I didn't think about.

I wanted to have a good edc bag because I'm going to be going to work for the foreseeable future, as I work in the trades and my industry is considered potentially essential (falling into the plumbing, electrical, etc category).

We just installed UV germicidal purifiers in our rooftop units, which should hopefully help the air in our building, if it is true that these particulates can be airborne for several hours.

I also carry a first aid kit, some extra clothes, 10 essential type stuff, batteries, charger, etc. A lot of it has come in more handy than one could ever realize.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,271 Posts
biggest change for me was/is the inclusion of N95 mask.

I've also created a separate PAPR setup that fits in a small pack, that will now go in my car whenever I travel.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
We changed ours. The kids won’t be leaving, and I won’t unless it’s doctor or family related. Hubs is the same. We took out the overnight gear as we won’t be taking our time getting home should we get caught out. Added more water purification, food. We can make it home from anywhere we would be in a day, may be a long day but we can do it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Before all this went down, I was working on a 'bug out crate' that essentially is a cache of essential items centrally located (in a crate) that I could quickly throw in the truck in the event we had to get out of dodge. Half of the crate was filled with food with about 1/4 of the crate dedicated to medical supplies and the other 1/4 filled with miscellaneous items (batteries, inverter, rope, crank radio, etc.).

After COVID-19 started spreading to the US, I realized that I needed to expand my on-the-go food stores, since what I had in the crate only covered our food needs for a few weeks. Thus, I decided to dedicate the crate to food storage only (which includes enough food for 1 to 1 1/2 months) and get a second crate for my medical and miscellaneous.

Here's the link to the rolling crates I bought: https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-20-Gallon-80-Quart-Black-Footlocker-with-Latching-Lid/1000421925

·
Indefatigable
19,924 Posts
Since bugging OUT is on the backburner for a while at least, travel will be minimal. I didn't make any changes to BOB, other than seasonal and to rotate food but, we added a few extra supplies to the van's FAK just for good measure.

Let me just mention this again, whatever you load into your vehicles, PLEASE make sure you secure it well. I once survived a jeep rollover, only to be nearly beaten to death by my loose gear.

Reactions: CatBell

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
lol, added a bottle of gin and two bottles of tonic extract...otherwise it's the same, i never really specialized in anything in my bob or preps, so they're good for almost any situation, only extra thing i needed was some gin and tonic to go with my other meds...worst case i get a hang over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
One thoughts about all this is that while things are shifting more to a 'bug in' scenario, it would still be an incredibly wise idea to have a BOB and shift it a little more in the direction of addressing the current issues at hand, but not allowing it to fall by the wayside.

Who knows when we may have to evacuate.

This disaster won't stop California fires, or hurricanes on the SE coast of US.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thoughts about all this is that while things are shifting more to a 'bug in' scenario, it would still be an incredibly wise idea to have a BOB and shift it a little more in the direction of addressing the current issues at hand, but not allowing it to fall by the wayside.

Who knows when we may have to evacuate.

This disaster won't stop California fires, or hurricanes on the SE coast of US.
THANK YOU! Very good point. I really appreciate everyone's responses, gives me food for thought.

·
The Black Death
228 Posts
I have way too much stuff for this sitrep to bug-out, so we will be right at home.

In January when I saw this coming I bought 55 - 3M P100 2091 filters and a 3M FF full face mask, and $1500 in supplies. I'll be wearing the mask in less than a week when I head out to the store.

Proper decontamination of all packaged goods and mail arriving at the house by Saturday/Sunday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have way too much stuff for this sitrep to bug-out, so we will be right at home.

In January when I saw this coming I bought 55 - 3M P100 2091 filters and a 3M FF full face mask, and $1500 in supplies. I'll be wearing the mask in less than a week when I head out to the store.

Proper decontamination of all packaged goods and mail arriving at the house by Saturday/Sunday.
I'm already there. I did one final trip out on Thursday. I didn't want to go, but it was the wisest choice long term. That said, going on a early Thurs afternoon in the middle of a snowstorm did help. I was wearing my P100 half-face respirator. One thing I did was I wrapped a wide scarf around it and it gave a MUCH more low-key look. Even though that half-face deal is pretty bulky, it almost disappeared under the scarf. A little harder to breathe, and gave the safety glasses a bit more of a fog up, but much more 'gray man' in nature - and I appreciated the lack of attention it gave, at least moreso than a full respirator in view. Not that it matters I guess. We'll start seeing a lot more of them if we go out.

Thing was...I was the only one. I was honestly a little shocked. I mean, we are nearing 20k infected in this country...and probably a lot more that we don't know about. Out of dozens or hundreds of people, didn't see a single one with a mask of any sort. I made it a self-requirement a week ago.

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
I'm already there. I did one final trip out on Thursday. I didn't want to go, but it was the wisest choice long term. That said, going on a early Thurs afternoon in the middle of a snowstorm did help. I was wearing my P100 half-face respirator. One thing I did was I wrapped a wide scarf around it and it gave a MUCH more low-key look. Even though that half-face deal is pretty bulky, it almost disappeared under the scarf. A little harder to breathe, and gave the safety glasses a bit more of a fog up, but much more 'gray man' in nature - and I appreciated the lack of attention it gave, at least moreso than a full respirator in view. Not that it matters I guess. We'll start seeing a lot more of them if we go out.

Thing was...I was the only one. I was honestly a little shocked. I mean, we are nearing 20k infected in this country...and probably a lot more that we don't know about. Out of dozens or hundreds of people, didn't see a single one with a mask of any sort. I made it a self-requirement a week ago.
it's 60 degress here now because it's spring, i'd look like even more of a nut with a scarf on, at least people kinda understand the mask. lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

My husband made one last grocery run the other day. We have been in quarantine about 1.5 weeks and haven't seen what it's like out there. The last time I shopped no-one was wearing protection yet. My husband said that the other day, not all, but several people were wearing masks and gloves. We are in Southern CA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts