Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did NatGeo create new panic?

With that show about preppers did they create new panic run on “prepper”everything?

I used to see some “prepers unite” kind of topics on Craigslist Community once every month or two. Now there are two of them per day!

Went to the gunshow last weekend. It is a madhouse zoo! Never seen that many people at gunshow. Obama helps gun sales a lot but this is some kind of new frenzy run on guns.

I do not really mind. My preps are not in beginning stages but those who are just “waking up” are going to have A LOT of competition!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe they have with such terms as 'doomsday' and other folks who dont prep,wouldnt understand some of the things said on the shows as most of us would.IMO panic was already there...NatGeo just threw a lot of gas on the fire...

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
We just got back from a business trip. My husband joked with more than 40 people, hey what are all the welfare types going to do when the economy really tanks. No one had any response at all. They were 100% in complete denial even about such an obvious thing as the economy. not one of the 40 had even heard of the prepper show.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
I think that anytime something like that is put on the air it creates a frenzy. Just look at the show extreme couponing. Suddenly everyone was an extreme couponer. I know of one person that bought hoards of stuff that they never used or even liked. I did see a brief segment of the show once and the ditz bought 70 full sized bags of potato chips! So now when you go the store there are big empty spaces on the shelves.

So did NatGeo create a frenzy? I think they did. The worse part is that a majority are the proverbial sheeple following the TV leash....

In a few months they will go on to the next new media fad.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Prepping, doomsday and so forth, are on the way to becoming fads. Exactly like tactical trappings on guns, or zombies, tattooing, and on and on.

Businesses will arise, extolling the virtues of prepping, but more importantly, and more profitably, they will offer dozens of questionable answers to questions that have never, and probably never will be asked. All in the interest of the almighty dollar.

Doomsday Preppers is probably just the first of such 'reality' television offerings each one more stupid, more unrealistic, more contrived and more melodramatic, than the last. And the audience will eat them up as if they generated life itself.

While prepping is a valid and genuine concern and need...it will be corrupted, twisted and ultimately will be the derision of the country, for a period of time, that is, until the next fad comes along.

I ask a simple question. "What do you see, as the logical end of the current crop of television series? Think about it? How far will we go? Will we be seeing, one day soon, a reality series called, "Running Man" with death as the goal, just as in the original movie?"

I think we will, unless something major comes along to short circuit it.

Prepping is just another step along that line, to that eventual end.

In my opinion of course.

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
Yes i believe NatGeo DID cause an 'awakening'. My sales of stun guns and other defensive equipment has gone thru the roof since it started.

Plus im now selling things that have never sold well before, like pre-made survival kits.

Thank You NatGeo, i'll be sure to drop you a donut from my future company helicopter :thumb:

·
Bloodline Survivalist
73 Posts
WOW! I remember when natgeo was recruiting people to do that show, everyone from here was a deff. NO WAY. but natgeo went fishing and caught some so they could make some money . Money its all people care about. sick

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a total newbie to this site but I've been reading on prepping for awhile now, way before I had ever seen any shows. Granted my idea of prepping was smaller based for problems such as flooding or power outages and things like that. I have tentatively talked to people about prepping and their faces become either blank or they get one of those skeptical/sarcastic looks. My family is becoming more aware of problems everyday, not so much from TV drama based shows but from news, and local happenings. I feel the tv shows open eyes but debase the ideals by typecasting the preppers as eccentric idiots with unrealistic views. Just my humble opinion.

·
Bad Moon Rising
9,055 Posts
"I feel the tv shows open eyes but debase the ideals by typecasting the preppers as eccentric idiots with unrealistic views."
You're corrrect.

The subjects on the Doomsday Preppers shows are set up as jesters, for the audience to shake their heads at.

Public mockery via "reality TV" sells. "Bad Girls"? "Snooki" and "The Situation"? "Real Housewives of Whogivesash*t"?

The 'awakening' is a completely secondary effect and unintended consequence of the primary goal - which is to rake in viewers and make money.

Any fool will do.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
While the show probably contributes to a certain degree... recent events are likely have more to do with it.

Such as this: http://www.infowars.com/un-launches-coup-detat-over-us-infowars-nightly-news/
My guess is that, on one of tonight's ads during the show, they used up ALL the positive tweets they've gotten...

And again, it's necessary to keep in mind the preface to the show is that it's part of their "American Outliers" series, you know, dopers, bike gangs, etc. They've made it about the "fringe" from the get go and done more to marginalize the concept (to the detriment of everyone in my opinion) than can be appreciated from today's vantage point.

The good news is you'll be able to buy buckets of freeze dried come January for pennies on the dollar at yard sales everywhere...

·
Registered
60 Posts
On January 1, 2013, there's going to be shiploads of prep stuff for sale, cheap.
That is the same thing my husband said. We both prep for what we actually need or feel we will need. I don't have hundreds of weapons and $500,00 worth of food that if I had to go to my BOL, would sit unused. I would like to think I am realistic in what I purchase and what I don't.

·
Registered
enough to sleep well at night
4,734 Posts
Absolutely prices have soared on Evil Black guns, stocks are depleted and ammo prices are rising also (Brownells, Cheaper then dirt, Classic arms, Palmetto state armory, Surplus ammo Cdnn investments, and Ammo to go, bravocompanyusa.com, midwayusa.com..to name a few) . The freeze dried #10 cans at Walmart are raided as quick as they come in, and every trip to Winco shows peoples numbers increasing in the Bulk food section. SO I am convinced the sheep are waking up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.