Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I don't get it either, a lot of bottled water gives me sort of an itch in my throat, especially if you drink a lot or drink fast.
My water storage is a whole bunch of the 5 gallon jugs like you'd see on an office water cooler, all procured for free, cleaned, sanitized, and filled with regular tap water. "Cap" amounts to a couple layers of new heavy duty plastic, topped with a layer of rubber (bicycle innertube) and held in place by a bicycle inner tube "Ranger band".
Never had a problem with any of it, I can still carry them easily, and smaller or weaker wristed people can still just grab the neck and tip while set on a countertop to pour into a smaller more manageable container like a pitcher, etc.
Requires some sturdy shelving for efficient "small footprint and tall" storage but I also did that for free out of a bunch of 2x6 the result of tearing out a sturdy backyard deck/patio for someone who wanted to make way for some landscaping or a pool or something.
Can also be loaded into a vehicle without the aid of moving dolly, come-along, etc.
when i moved to this home about 15 years ago i had a neighbor tell me not to drink the tap. i didnt. my water report which comes out a couple of times per year has enough crap in it to have me concur not to drink it...bottled it is

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The New York Times has a big article at the top of the page about the supply chain right now. Seems concerning. It's behind the paywall, though.

Headline: "It's not sustainable."

From the synopsis: "What once seemed like a temporary phenomenon is increasingly viewed as a new reality that could require refashioning the world's shipping infrastructure."

This is such an important problem, maybe they'll get some geniuses working on it, and find a way to innovate a solution.

Seems pretty certain that at least this Christmas is going to be shook up in some way, though.

Maybe you should try to avoid Black Friday this year?
first question is do you actually believe the NYT, because i no longer do. having said that i do believe we re screwed. just for a wtf moment. i was feeling lazy so i headed to the chinese restaurant for lunch. i ordered what should have been the cheaper lunch menu. i ordered steamed veggies. that s it. just steamed veggies. 9.50-- a dollar more than what was listed on the menu. when do you think im ever doing that again? never...she can close up.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,472 Posts
All this prep shopping or hoarding or panic shopping is just going to snarl the supply chain worse, right?

What I'm seeing in the news articles is that increased demand for home goods is what caused the supply chain problems at first. People couldn't go out, so they bought stuff to entertain them at home.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
All this prep shopping or hoarding or panic shopping is just going to snarl the supply chain worse, right?

What I'm seeing in the news articles is that increased demand for home goods is what caused the supply chain problems at first. People couldn't go out, so they bought stuff to entertain them at home.
That's BS they are feeding you. Nice twist on top, but it's still BS

What caused the problems was people being forced to stay home, then being paid to stay home. So you end up with a lack of goods, a lack of transport of the remaining goods, and people being stressed about it and buying more than usual when it is available.

The ONLY answer is to quit playing the Covid game, and get people back to work. At this point, that will take time, because there isn't enough "stuff" for the people that make things to run full crews, the backlog in ports and other shipping centers will take time to clear, and until it does start flowing properly, shipping can be a spotty thing, at best.
Trump's plan would have helped, Biden's plan torpedoed everything. And no, I don't think it was "THEIR" plan, it's a group effort by thise behind the curtain, just like every other thing our so called government does, or tries to do.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I don't know what's going to happen in the next few weeks, months or years. I read the tea leaves same as everyone else.

I just got back from shopping and the shelves were stocked, if there were shortages I didn't see them. The price of beef was higher than normal but there were enough BOGO's to take the sting out of it.

They had my favorite beer on sale for a few bucks off, that was a nice surprise. Anyway as long as my preps are squared away and I can sip on a cold one, I have the luxury of reading tea leaves and making best guesses...Until something actually does happen that's about all one can do, besides complain...LOL

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
For those who are having trouble finding toilet paper, I'm dubious about what it would do to a septic system so you might want a lidded garbage can, but try "toilet paper coins" at camping stores and Amazon. And a squeeze condiment bottle or six if you don't own a bidet yet.
Got that handled. A 2 gallon weed sprayer next to the head.

Got that 😁 🙃 😂

Reactions: JWsurvive

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,472 Posts
first question is do you actually believe the NYT, because i no longer do. having said that i do believe we re screwed. just for a wtf moment. i was feeling lazy so i headed to the chinese restaurant for lunch. i ordered what should have been the cheaper lunch menu. i ordered steamed veggies. that s it. just steamed veggies. 9.50-- a dollar more than what was listed on the menu. when do you think im ever doing that again? never...she can close up.
I would feel a little better, maybe, if I knew what the article said...

There have been a few supply chain articles by major papers in the last few days that have all been behind pay walls. Trying to decide if I should spend a few dollars to take a look or not...

One more general comment I'd like the make, though.

I know it's unsettling to see things missing from the shelves.

However, maybe this is as bad as it's going to get? I'm not living in one of the places that also has the very bad shoplifting problem... If the store shelves only stay about as bad as this for a year, it's not really shtf or a reason to get really nervous. It's just America and the global, capitalist system getting a little less capable for a little while. It's kind of an exciting ride, but it's not really what preppers are supposed to be on guard for.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
....but it's not really what preppers are supposed to be on guard for.
Depends upon how one looks at it, is all. As in all things.

Folks whom think its no big deal, as in "capitalist system getting a little less capable for a little while..." -- Then that's just it. Nothing to worry about. No action taken. Nothing to prepare for.

Folks whom consider that the current goings on COULD lead towards FURTHER hardship? -- Notable & may be taking action now. Rather than waiting towards a further hardship phase. Preparing, as it were.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Every single TV channel is peddling the fear of shortages at one level or another.

Of course the less than prepared are in a scramble.

·
Registered
274 Posts
im a dasani lover...everything else tastes terrible. but id rather have something than nothing. so if the dasani isnt available ill buy what is
I prefer it myself, not so much that it tastes better than other bottled water, but the bottles are sturdier than many others. Many of the “green” packaged water bottles are so flimsy you can‘t count on them to stand upright when you set them down. Or they virtually collapse when you grab them. I have little faith in those bottles holding up and not leaking water over any length of time or in any rough conditions.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Every single TV channel is peddling the fear of shortages at one level or another.

Of course the less than prepared are in a scramble.
Sure...and why ARE they peddling shortages, is it actually news or another manipulation?

Peddling fear, along with waving bloody shirts is what they do...if it scares the crap out of people or if bleeds it makes the headlines.

We are living in an age of too much information, which in a way kind of reminds me of the story about the boy who cried wolf. Like the story, eventually the wolf will show up.

Question is, given the overload of information we are bombarded with daily, will people even realize the wolf is actually at the gate or just dismiss it as another fear mongering news story.

·
Registered
I don't know
155 Posts
Maybe it was the "wonderful" jobs report that just came out.

Went to Costco yesterday and today.

Jam packed both times (Fri & Sat)

People buying tons of water, TP, canned meats and other store-able foods. Saw lots of people with 6-10 cases of water (36 bottle packs).

Are people getting worried of is this just a reaction to the supply chain issues? Either way I'm glad to see people stocking up on stuff. In an emergency, every home that has extra food and supplies is one less home trying to figure out how to steal our supplies.
I, my aunt and my mother went to the big city the other day to pick up my and my mother's extra glasses. I stopped in at the farm store and walmart and they were quite busy. Not a cart without toilet paper in it. Of course we added to the chaos because my truck was loaded when we came back home. I'm kind of happy that my extended family for the most part is taking this supply shortage seriously. They are stocking up big time right now.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,472 Posts
Others are much more optimistic on the supply chain outlook.

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said Monday that these supply chain hiccups will fade quickly.

"This will not be an issue next year at all," Dimon said during a conference held by the Institute of International Finance, CNBC reported. "This is the worst part of it. I think great market systems will adjust for it like companies have."

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Others are much more optimistic on the supply chain outlook.

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said Monday that these supply chain hiccups will fade quickly.

"This will not be an issue next year at all," Dimon said during a conference held by the Institute of International Finance, CNBC reported. "This is the worst part of it. I think great market systems will adjust for it like companies have."
I have been trying to figure out what the angle is with the traitor media suddenly highlighting shortages. Can't figure it out. Perhaps they are somehow trying to blame Trump for this (like everything else)?

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,472 Posts
I have been trying to figure out what the angle is with the traitor media suddenly highlighting shortages. Can't figure it out. Perhaps they are somehow trying to blame Trump for this (like everything else)?
I think that, for one reason or another, not everything in the corporate news media can really be explained as a lie or nearly a lie.

I guess that, if they didn't have some truth to sell, they wouldn't have much to sell.

What they do instead of 100% lying to you, imo, is put the truth right next to the editorialized articles. Or they give you an article where the headline or basic, big bit of news is truth, but then they also put editorializing right in there, right in the same article.

That all kind of explains why they're covering the shortages.

They do cover up other big stories.

But even tho the shortages are kind of not that big a deal yet, they're big enough that lots of people can notice them in lots of places. It would be too weird if the media just said nothing.

That brings to mind the fact that corporate media has to run interference for itself sometimes, too. Look at how examples like CNN, Saturday Night Live, and the NFL, or events like awards shows, lost a lot of ratings / viewership. That demonstrates that the threat that media will lose too much clout is there. They're all not really up on a high pedestal just exactly the way they usually seem to be. It's not such a sure thing that they could never really lose the public's trust.

I noticed the New York Times shift a little bit right-wing lately. They're just trying to keep from looking so partisan that they discredit themselves completely. They have to keep enough people looking at the paper, and enough people from getting too critical. So they have to try to look like a voice of reason, and like a forum where everybody kind of gets their say.

They do try to minimize being put in that position. But that doesn't mean they never do it. If they start to get worried that they may start to look too weird, then they go ahead and start running things with a slightly different tone than the usual.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,472 Posts
Maybe later on they'll think of some anti-Trump angle that they want to try.

But for now, they can't think of one, or they think it's too risky.

So instead, they're just going to try maintaining people's confidence in them, by showing us that they notice the same weird thing going on at the stores and the fast food restaurants that we notice. "Oh yeah, we see that, here's an article that tells you a few things about it." It's meant to show you that it's a free press, and that they really do something, really something legitimate, when they go into work each day.

To be able to lie to you, they've got to get you thinking that they're something different than simply a loudspeaker for Ebenezer Scrooge or Flintheart Glomgold or whatever.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts