Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
If I had the cash to do it, I'd go to the store and buy some extra generators and all the fuel containers they had, not just gas but also diesel and kerosene, and fill every one of them to max. I'd buy every buddy heater, and every propane canister. Going to be a good investment this winter, either for personal use, or resale.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,168 Posts
I buy bottled water, but then I live on the Gulf Coast and have to prep for hurricanes in particular.
I have bulk water storage, but that is for the horses (2 horses together drink about 50 gallons per day...). I cannot count on the local water available, it all became contaminated with diesel fuel during Harvey.

I just bought a second generator just because (1 is none....)
Have a coupon for 23cents off per gallon through Shell, so I'll be filling the gas cans (might add a new one while I'm at it).

Shelves here are not bare, but definitely thinner than usual, but they have been that way for a while. I don't get out much so I don't normally see big runs at stores.

If there really is a fuel shortage, well it may seriously impact most every one in some way or another. The way I see it, we will do what we always do, ride the wave until it hits the beach. Some people will get up an walk it off, some people will whine and cry. Just mankind being mankind.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I always wondered why people buy so much bottled water. It must be a fashion thing, because all I have ever tried tastes like $h!t.
AND, I just get water from my faucets- fill large containers beforehand......
im a dasani lover...everything else tastes terrible. but id rather have something than nothing. so if the dasani isnt available ill buy what is

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Yep. If you didn’t already know it was TEOTWAWKI, then you missed it.

During the last 5-6 years, when the media went full blown anti-conservative, stopped even trying to hide their lies, and started attacking a duly elected President with those lies. And then when they helped a decrepit old fraud win the presidency in 2020.

That’s when I knew for sure.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,074 Posts
Here are the data points that are concerning me for this winter in no particular order.

• Coal shortages in Germany causing some power plants to shut down
  • Coal shortages in China causing factories to run fewer days per week, in some cases, as few as 1-2 days per week
  • Fuel shortages in the UK causing 90% of gas stations to go dry, military being called in to ship fuel from strategic storage
  • Deliverable Fuel oil reserves in the US at multi-year lows
  • Coal prices very high, oil prices rising
  • Propane prices rising
  • Former coal power execs saying they expect some blackouts this winter in the US due to coal shortages
  • Supply chains already stretched to the breaking point look to get even worse as factories around the globe (especially China) shutter or reduce capacity due to energy crunch
  • Massive wildfires, droughts, and heat waves have impacted global food prices, oats for instance are at an all-time high in the US.
  • China is in the early stages of the collapse of a decades-long housing bubble to the tune of tens of TRILLIONS of dollars, with the Evergrande collapse being referred to as the "Chinese Lehman Bros"
  • On top of everything, experts are saying this winter is expected to be colder than usual
And that's just the stuff we know about. Not even taking into account the possibility that these could all lead to a global recession on top of everything, setting aside the possibility of natural disasters of any kind, or conflicts being triggered.

My spider senses haven't tingled this hard in a long, long time.
Good collection of "issues" and "events." Some of it is apparent to the average citizen (shortages and rising prices), some (like low fuel reserves) evident to the more informed among us (like those of us here).

What I find interesting is that events DO seem to be informing the general public, at least to some extent. Usually it's something imminent like the approach of a hurricane that gets people off their behinds, but there's nothing like that at the moment.

I'd like to think this means a major SHTF event would be more manageable given that more people are at least laying in a few supplies, but I doubt it. Roughly half the US population doesn't have enough money in the bank to handle a $500 emergency car repair, so it's hard to believe they're setting aside money for preps.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,074 Posts
If I had the cash to do it, I'd go to the store and buy some extra generators and all the fuel containers they had, not just gas but also diesel and kerosene, and fill every one of them to max. I'd buy every buddy heater, and every propane canister. Going to be a good investment this winter, either for personal use, or resale.
Hoarder!

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Actually it seems to be natural gas that is the problem. We have plenty of coal.

I am starting to make plans for spending the winter somewhere else other than Ohio.
It's not just if we have it, it's also supply network capacity. The whole thing reveals how interconnected everything is

Reactions: Surfahgal

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Well we're almost a year into this slow descent into hell called the Biden administration. Another three to go.

I recall it being said Biden was a placeholder president, he was elected to maintain the status quo, that he wasn't supposed to actually do anything.

Apparently old Joe didn't get the message and his administration has been an unmitigated disaster...

It's a liberal thing, they thrive on drama and if it isn't present they create it.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,112 Posts
I almost always have about 6 cases of bottled water. We use it to take on trips, with our lunches, and so on. The bottled water we have access to tastes fine to me.

There are other reasons to have bottled water--mine is stored in the garage, right next to our bugout vehicle. If we have to bug out, that water is going to be tossed in the vehicle. It's an excellent way to supply water if one has to run--self-portioning, could be given to others as situations dictate, easy to use.

That doesn't explain people suddenly stocking up, but IMO and IME, bottled water is far from useless.
Not really. While very useful, it's foolishly expensive. Paying a lot for little individual convenience bottles. And it's not environmentally friendly. The cost/unit is much too high and they do not store well long-term so you have to constantly use them and replenish. A $15, 7 gallon container is a better investment. I have many, filled with tap water and a few drops of regular bleach to kill any bacterias. You can transport them (25 pounds of water), and refill as needed. Just bring your own re-usable drink containers.

And, I don't really plan to "bug out" and abandon a lifetime of hard work of building preps, weapons, etc. If you live in an area you think you need to "bug out" from, it may be a good idea to bug out now to somewhere else you can be stable in.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I always wondered why people buy so much bottled water. It must be a fashion thing, because all I have ever tried tastes like $h!t.
AND, I just get water from my faucets- fill large containers beforehand......
I don't get it either, a lot of bottled water gives me sort of an itch in my throat, especially if you drink a lot or drink fast.
My water storage is a whole bunch of the 5 gallon jugs like you'd see on an office water cooler, all procured for free, cleaned, sanitized, and filled with regular tap water. "Cap" amounts to a couple layers of new heavy duty plastic, topped with a layer of rubber (bicycle innertube) and held in place by a bicycle inner tube "Ranger band".
Never had a problem with any of it, I can still carry them easily, and smaller or weaker wristed people can still just grab the neck and tip while set on a countertop to pour into a smaller more manageable container like a pitcher, etc.
Requires some sturdy shelving for efficient "small footprint and tall" storage but I also did that for free out of a bunch of 2x6 the result of tearing out a sturdy backyard deck/patio for someone who wanted to make way for some landscaping or a pool or something.
Can also be loaded into a vehicle without the aid of moving dolly, come-along, etc.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,662 Posts
When it gets here, we will know it..wont really be any doubt..to me, if you have doubts SHTF/WROL has arrived, it hasn't…its definite a run- up to Ragnarok is underway but The Fall hasnt occured….yet

·
Registered
568 Posts
i think its a combo of things ,,preppers are stocking as fast as they can ,,,some other people are starting to see problems and are starting to self supply and trying to beat price hikes and shortages ,,and i believe snap renews early in the month, and they are getting some food as normal
"Preppers" are an incredibly small percentage of the population. So much so we could all grab everything we can get our hands on right now and not make much of a blip on the radar, imo. The thing is a lot of regular folk have seen the light, at least a little bit (the covid toilet paper and cleaning product thing got them thinking, imo), so now more people are at least looking forward, keeping more stuff around they know they're going to need eventually anyway, including so-called "city folk" who were used to just going to the store and expecting whatever they wanted just being there.

While it doesn't help with shortages and things I think overall it's a net positive. More people prying their thinking away, at least in babysteps, from the thinking that is "whatever I want will just be there all the time".

As far as ebt/welfare recipients their whole frame of reference come in 30 day blocks of time. Get a cash influx 1st of the month, go get everything they want or need for the month and wait til the next first of the month. I don't expect that behavior to change and I don't expect govt to cut it off or default on it either. Way too big an easy voting block. When you got somebody on the hook that good you don't cut the line.

Shame too because I know a few folks in that position and they ain't all "bad people" by any stretch. The system is set up to make going through all the rigamarole to get the help you need now damn near a full time job in and of itself working through all the programs and red tape. Basically planned dependency. Then as soon as a kid grows up in that environment that's just "the way it is" to them. They've never seen it any different.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Well we're almost a year into this slow descent into hell called the Biden administration. Another three to go.
Somehow, with the swamp creatures around him....I think you’re being optimistic. Or pessimistic, depending on your viewpoint.;)

I don’t think the DNC and the hard core media can prop him up that long; even the mainstream media is starting to admit there’s a problem. They want to blame it on Trump and conservative white folks...but there’s too many obvious examples of their hypocrisy, they overplayed that hand already.
We live in Interesting times, as they say.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I don't buy bottled water. I have a Brita water canister on my cabinet I keep full and several extra filters for it. I have tried refilling empty water bottles and thought they had a funky taste to them. After all they are made of the cheapest, thinnest plastic they can get away with.

As long as the national news media keeps broadcasting that there are shortages coming the sheeple are going to buy into that and stock far more than they can use. Its a self fulfilling prophecy.

I used to see it when I worked as a sacker at Skaggs-Albertsons as a teenager. The news would say we were going to get ice and snow and those idiots would come in and buy two heaping grocery carts full of food. Enough food for a friggin' month. And here in Tx snow and ice rarely last more than 4 days.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
It's only going to get worse with winter coming. TP shortages are one thing, wait until the energy shortage really starts hitting.
Depends were you live. West coast gets power from Canada through hydro mostly. That's not an issue. Nuclear not a problem either uranium comes from Canada. Coal and natural gas comes from the USA and Canada prices spike natural gas prices spiked so those plants will pay more. So higher cost that's about it

21 - 40 of 98 Posts