Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it was the "wonderful" jobs report that just came out.

Went to Costco yesterday and today.

Jam packed both times (Fri & Sat)

People buying tons of water, TP, canned meats and other store-able foods. Saw lots of people with 6-10 cases of water (36 bottle packs).

Are people getting worried of is this just a reaction to the supply chain issues? Either way I'm glad to see people stocking up on stuff. In an emergency, every home that has extra food and supplies is one less home trying to figure out how to steal our supplies.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I always wondered why people buy so much bottled water. It must be a fashion thing, because all I have ever tried tastes like ****.
AND, I just get water from my faucets- fill large containers beforehand......
I wonder the same thing. I do buy it occasionally to have the bottles available for freezing milk. I sometimes buy water in 1-gal containers also, again because the container is safe and handy. But most of my water storage is in 5-gal jugs and in rain barrels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always wondered why people buy so much bottled water. It must be a fashion thing, because all I have ever tried tastes like ****.
My wife and I are somewhat guilty of buying bottled water. I really don't know why as we have a large body of water just a couple miles to the east. Convenience I reckon.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,476 Posts
There's a ton of stuff going on. Supply chain problems, which are becoming pretty well known, then this amazing article today about shoplifting in NY, reaching San Francisco-like levels:

Or what about this in Britain:

from the article---

"the free truck driver courses lasting up to 16 weeks will not start until next month, meaning they will do nothing to alleviate concerns about shortages this Christmas."

Or what about this:

There's even supposed to be a Christmas tree shortage this year (bad season for them in Oregon).

There's something in the air.....

FWIW, I also bonked right into a guy walking out of the supermarket with nothing but a shopping cart full of a few crates of water a few days ago.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Again, the shortages are mostly a derivative of labor issues. Supply is slowing coming back but labor remains the bottleneck. Manufacturers are still playing catch up.

As far as what you saw, timing is everything. EBT , or whatever the heck welfare is called now, comes out in the beginning of the month. That's when they spend their money. This is well known if you sell products in the retail channel, and likely nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
i think about those (probably) billions of partial bottles of water buried in landfills and wonder how much that contributes to draught.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,118 Posts
Maybe it was the "wonderful" jobs report that just came out.

Went to Costco yesterday and today.

Jam packed both times (Fri & Sat)

People buying tons of water, TP, canned meats and other store-able foods. Saw lots of people with 6-10 cases of water (36 bottle packs).

Are people getting worried of is this just a reaction to the supply chain issues? Either way I'm glad to see people stocking up on stuff. In an emergency, every home that has extra food and supplies is one less home trying to figure out how to steal our supplies.
Gas is surprisingly still below $4 so I stopped in to fill up again today at Costco. I then popped into the store for a few items. The store was very busy. ZERO toilet paper of any brand. That surprised me. Also, the sign said limits on TP, which also surprised me. I saw many people with flat carts with a lot of bottled water, which I still don't understand why people are buying and stocking bottled water. There's more efficient ways to do that.

I have noticed elsewhere, in other stores, bare shelves. I went to Walmart last week. No distilled water. None. At two different Walmarts. And noteworthy bare shelves and lots of shortages of various items, clearly low inventory on things.

Still having big supply chain problems 18 months into the shamdemic plandemic, that's for sure.

·
Purrpared
880 Posts
Winter... is coming

A couple major LTS suppliers just sent "Sorry, we're backordered until.... yeah, we're backordered." notices and have "sold out" tags popping up all over their websites.

We just had the annual Congress-saves-us-from-brink-of-doom event which this year even Janet Yellen said was particularly ineffective.

People who like Biden are horrified that Trump is making run-again noises; people who like Trump are horrified that Biden's making I'm-Presdent noises. Lotta noise outta DC lately. You'd think all that hot air could be a good alternative heating source.

CNN just headlined about grocery shortages not going away this year. They moved it to the Business section posthaste to make room for sports news, but it was too late. Readers read.

October is traditionally the doom 'n' gloom month financially.

That volcano is still active.

Various forms of media keep showing supply chain forecasts with background images of lots of boats hanging around where they shouldn't be.

China. Again. It's almost like they're a rival superpower or something.

We just had our first winter storm announcement here and the usual OMG FROST! I HAD TO SQUEEGEE MY CAR WINDOWS! GO BUY ALL THE DORITOS! reaction was triggered.

Perfect buyer storm. On a more serious note, we're three miles from a military base. The uniformed locals are stocking up, too. Just sayin'. Anybody who uses the PX want to chime in with anything they heard?

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,702 Posts
Went to my local Cal Ranch today. Very busy! Busier than I would have expected. I didn't see what everyone was buying but 3 people in line ahead of me had:

First family) Gas generator and some other odds and ends.
Second lady) 3 large bags of dog food.
Third family) Chain saw and some other items.

Could just be coincidence but it appeared that people were preparing. But then again, you'd likely see people buying the same things no matter what the economic "season" was.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,682 Posts
Water:All water systems around here tap the Miocene Aquifer..a 1000 or so ft down and sweet sweet water…Then the system operators get ahold of it and do all sorts of vile…crap to it…So we dont use tap except for bathing and washing…I set up a two bucket charcoal filter for my dogs water…we have delivered 5 gal bottles of a local spring water co that also taps the Miocene…untreated..so we use a bit less than 4 bottles a month so I order 5….been doing that the last few years, got a garage full of 5 ga bottles..I rotate and have no issues..still got a rainwater system, and a doz Sawyers for the creek across the road but I can hole up a couple months easy as far as water goes..jm

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,702 Posts
Gas is surprisingly still below $4 so I stopped in to fill up again today at Costco. I then popped into the store for a few items. The store was very busy. ZERO toilet paper of any brand. That surprised me. Also, the sign said limits on TP, which also surprised me. I saw many people with flat carts with a lot of bottled water, which I still don't understand why people are buying and stocking bottled water. There's more efficient ways to do that.

I have noticed elsewhere, in other stores, bare shelves. I went to Walmart last week. No distilled water. None. At two different Walmarts. And noteworthy bare shelves and lots of shortages of various items, clearly low inventory on things.

Still having big supply chain problems 18 months into the shamdemic plandemic, that's for sure.
I know many folks aren't fans of Amazon but in some ways, it's a friend when you can't find products elsewhere. I'm having an entire case of TP delivered on Monday.

I must have got the last case of this though because I see a message: "temporarily out of stock." There are other brands available though.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,077 Posts
I almost always have about 6 cases of bottled water. We use it to take on trips, with our lunches, and so on. The bottled water we have access to tastes fine to me.

There are other reasons to have bottled water--mine is stored in the garage, right next to our bugout vehicle. If we have to bug out, that water is going to be tossed in the vehicle. It's an excellent way to supply water if one has to run--self-portioning, could be given to others as situations dictate, easy to use.

That doesn't explain people suddenly stocking up, but IMO and IME, bottled water is far from useless.

·
Retired Army
6,696 Posts
My wife and I are somewhat guilty of buying bottled water. I really don't know why as we have a large body of water just a couple miles to the east. Convenience I reckon.
I but it. Not often, but whenever our bottles get old, and nasty. I get a case or 2, and the refill them with the Berkey to put in the fridge. The entire top shelf of our fridge is water bottles. I have drank water too many times that have been sitting out in the sun on pallets at the end of a row of tents in a desert, so I like my water cold. Just grab, and go. When I can no longer power my fridge, (Love me some cold clean water.) I'm gonna be one angry SOB.

·
Registered
22,163 Posts
Here are the data points that are concerning me for this winter in no particular order.

• Coal shortages in Germany causing some power plants to shut down
  • Coal shortages in China causing factories to run fewer days per week, in some cases, as few as 1-2 days per week
  • Fuel shortages in the UK causing 90% of gas stations to go dry, military being called in to ship fuel from strategic storage
  • Deliverable Fuel oil reserves in the US at multi-year lows
  • Coal prices very high, oil prices rising
  • Propane prices rising
  • Former coal power execs saying they expect some blackouts this winter in the US due to coal shortages
  • Supply chains already stretched to the breaking point look to get even worse as factories around the globe (especially China) shutter or reduce capacity due to energy crunch
  • Massive wildfires, droughts, and heat waves have impacted global food prices, oats for instance are at an all-time high in the US.
  • China is in the early stages of the collapse of a decades-long housing bubble to the tune of tens of TRILLIONS of dollars, with the Evergrande collapse being referred to as the "Chinese Lehman Bros"
  • On top of everything, experts are saying this winter is expected to be colder than usual
And that's just the stuff we know about. Not even taking into account the possibility that these could all lead to a global recession on top of everything, setting aside the possibility of natural disasters of any kind, or conflicts being triggered.

My spider senses haven't tingled this hard in a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts